Weekend OVs -

Stevenson?

F7653F1E-7A51-415C-9BE4-3E0F3A51B942.jpeg

Advertisement
Hard for me to accept that Mark Richt would think Banda and Patke are the best hires he could find in the entire country unless he is positioning for something else. I just can’t believe that.
Well, not proven commodities as coordinators, but all coordinators had to do it the first time. They weren't born as coordinators.

Last night I was reading the background of Sonny Lubick, one of the best coordinators in UM history. He had almost no defensive coaching experience before he became DC at UM under Erickson. And believe me, his 1989 defense was a good one, probably one of the best in college football history. Of course, JJ left him with some great talent, but somebody had to coach them. He had an excellent DL coach in Bob Karmelowicz. Don't remember the other assistants but the overall defensive coaching very good--and led by a guy who had spent most of his recent coaching time on offense.

Lubick's coaching tree, by the way, included Tommy Tuberville at UM and Urban Meyer at Colorado State.

I'm very happy with Richt's decision. I don't care about all the attractive names out there. I like the retention of the Diaz philosophy and guys who have worked closely with him for perhaps a half dozen years. Surgeons sometimes spend fewer years learning to be surgeons. I'm sure Ephraim and Patke have absorbed Manny"s philosophy and will continue to keep the defense at an elite level.

Just need to fix the offense and special teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Well, not proven commodities as coordinators, but all coordinators had to do it the first time. They weren't born as coordinators.

Last night I was reading the background of Sonny Lubick, one of the best coordinators in UM history. He had almost no defensive coaching experience before he became DC at UM under Erickson. And believe me, his 1989 defense was a good one, probably one of the best in college football history. Of course, JJ left him with some great talent, but somebody had to coach them. He had an excellent DL coach in Bob Karmelowicz. Don't remember the other assistants but the overall defensive coaching very good--and led by a guy who had spent most of his recent coaching time on offense.

Lubick's coaching tree, by the way, included Tommy Tuberville at UM and Urban Meyer at Colorado State.

I'm very happy with Richt's decision. I don't care about all the attractive names out there. I like the retention of the Diaz philosophy and guys who have worked closely with him for perhaps a half dozen years. Surgeons sometimes spend fewer years learning to be surgeons. I'm sure Ephraim and Patke have absorbed Manny"s philosophy and will continue to keep the defense at an elite level.

Just need to fix the offense and special teams.

I think we are going to get a true ST coach. Consolation prize for no OC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back