Wednesday, 9/7 Media: Mario Cristobal, Jake Garcia, Andy Borregales, Jalen Rivers

Can Steed fill a similar role? I know he plays Will but I always felt he can be a similar a slightly better version of Flagg if he played Mike and allow us to get better athletes at the outside linebacker spots.

I might be totally off but just I always thought that Steed at Mike made sense.
I’ve been telling papa Steed for a couple years his son was a MLB imo. He played there last year and well. I‘m surprised he didn’t stay there.

Advertisement
The concept of playing the back up Qb for a couple of early series against a scrub team?

It really isn't.

It literally happens every season. All the time.
When you have a potential first rounder at starter? No it doesn't and if it has please share an example or two. Don't worry I'll wait.

The concept of playing the back up Qb for a couple of early series against a scrub team?

It really isn't.

It literally happens every season. All the time.
a play or two early on i've seen as recently as Clemson with DJ when Lawrence was there, but not "a couple of early series".

You put in the 2 when the 1's work is done for the day.

Please watch him in space or anything outside the tackles. I beg you.
I believe that everyone knows what he is. His positives and negatives are well known. He's not a sideline-to-sideline MIKE.

It boils down to a cost benefit analysis. We're breaking in a new defense. Is the benefit of his making sure everyone is lined up correctly greater than his limitations covering in space? I'm sure the staff is evaluating that. At the same time, does anyone know what the staff has tasked him to do? Do they expect him to play outside the tackles, sideline-to-sideline, something he can't do? If so, who else do we have to put in? If not, where is the break down?

People rant about misses in the portal. The priority this year was to reinforce the lines. If that wasn't done, (without too much hyperbole) Ray Lewis wouldn't have made a difference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When you have a potential first rounder at starter? No it doesn't and if it has please share an example or two. Don't worry I'll wait.
Well, first, I'm not sure TVD is a potential first rounder. Love him, but is he a guy NFL teams have to get in the first round? A can't miss rospect?

But sure based on the caveat of potential first rounder ...

Here's a mock draft of Emory Jones going early.

And another one:

Anthony Richardson went in for series all the time. Not just snaps or gimmick plays either.

Can't forget Tua's freshman season with Hurts where he'd got planned reps as well. Both first rounders.

Plumlee and Corrall at Ole Miss too.

Now, anybody with half a brain knew Jones was a trash Qb. But the idea of potential first rounder is fluid. Brad Kaaya was one not too long ago.

EDIT: Hurts 2nd rounder. Brain fart.

Last edited:
This already makes me feel better than the prior coaching regime.

Give the players Saturday/Sunday to celebrate, and then go back at it hard and with a keen eye for the flaws that the coaches know are there.

But most importantly, don’t get complacent and celebrate because you blew out a team you were supposed to blow out.

One of the biggest gripes I had about Manny is that he never seemed “unsatisfied“ like Mario does. That’s one thing I find with the top coaches in any sport, they’re never quite satisfied, and they’re always looking for ways to grind down weaknesses and turn them into positives.

Manny never had a feel for this, but Mario does. You can tell in the tenor of his comments and attitude, namely, paraphrasing “It just isn’t anywhere near good enough“
You do remember JJ, he always looked like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, after a victory. AFTER A VICTORY!

8 is on his third db coach. At some point the staff has to realize he’s a practice player. That’s where due diligence comes in on their parts. This isn’t reinventing the wheel , it’s covering a dude and tackling.

Btw I said “ if this trend continues and if they keep throwing him out there“, so let’s stop acting like they’re beyond reproach or making excuses. It’s simple , if he keeps doing the same things he’s been doing for four years something has to be done. If not , it’s the staff not Ivey deserving the blame.
I’m not saying they are beyond reproach. I’m saying one game of them letting the bullets fly to see if the light came on (which is hasn’t and won’t)
I am saying every coach he’s had raves about his body type, intangibles or whatever. None of them were here under the previous db coach so they think he will make it work in their scheme. Obviously that’s not going to work, but at no point am I condemning a staff after one game.
I suppose we will see what the future holds. I have faith in this staff to make the necessary changes.

Advertisement
This season we especially need to win all the games we are supposed to win. No let downs for those games. I believe Mario is instilling the discipline needed. I feel much more confident with Mario at the helm.

I am pretty certain i was the first one on this board to harp on the poor play by Flagg. The reason was, he was getting a lot of positive comments about his play (namely one play) against Pitt his freshman year. From that point on, I decided to play close attention to him pretty much every snap from there on, because i was so desperate for good LB play.

It was insane what i was watching the rest of that year. Missing tackles, too slow to cover RBS or TE and just running himself out of plays (or into a blocker that he could never disengage). It was bad. I spoke out pretty loudly about it, and was met with a chorus of “You’re wrong, he’ s a bright spot for us” or “He is the smartest player out there” type of stuff. Eventually, most of this board saw what i saw.

I continued to watch him closely, and I must admit, towards the end of the year last year, spring game, and this first game here- he has improved. He sometimes clogs the correct lane now,,and sometimes doesn’t have tackles broken on him. He appears to me to be a very average linebacker now, which is nowhere good enough for what we as canes fans want and deserves. But he is no longer a negative on almost every play. He is now just an average player, imo.

I haven’t been as vocal against his play Lately for the reason of his improvement as well as the chorus of undeserving praise is not nearly as loud as it once was. That being said, i want someone else to step up. Cam Johnson looked better to me that the improved Flagg, but still not to the level of what a canes MLB should be. Maybe he will get there with more reps.
Bruh I was on him when they showed his HS film he was way too slow

I think some folks are overreacting to last weeks game defensively. There was a bunch of gap integrity breakdowns, losing contain on scrambles / cutbacks.

There was also issues in the secondary, Ivey taking the awful angle on the drag route allowed a first down. There’s no way a mesh concept gets a third and 23. You give up a catch in front of the coverage and make the tackle. Not only did he take a bad angle , trip over his feet he took out another defender trying to make a play. I know it’s cliche to pick on 8 but at this point the staff is at fault if they keep throwing him out there , especially if this trend continues. He’s not starting himself.

206w.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back