Weak Sauce From Coach Rumph

Advertisement
so Rumph went from "I won't take no for an answer." to "I won't take no for an answer...Unless you tell me no, then it's ok."

I'm no English lit expert but we all use figures of speech and if you cant recognize what Rumph said as a figure of speech then check EW Bullinger for a crash course.

"I wont take no for an answer" I think we all know this means he will give everything he has and use every resource available to land a kid. There is no need to mention that there is a line you don't cross and that's what happened with Byrd.

"Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph said Byrd “felt the vibe better at Tennessee. He liked the atmosphere at the school. He made the decision like a man. He talked to me and told me how he felt. You can’t look down on that. You’ve got to let a kid be a person he wants to be. I can’t be upset with that. He’s going to have a bright future at Tennessee. He’s one of the first kids I recruited. I just wish him the best.”

Off two terrific games, Whiteside has more to prove to Heat; Dolphins, Canes, Marlins chatter | Sports Buzz

I couldn't care less about discussing Byrd for one second longer but am concerned that Rumph would speak publicly and so weakly about a situation like this. He needs to take off his high school coach hat where wishing kids well wherever they go is cool and put on the hat where he never speaks about a kid again that d!cked him and his current employer over the night before NSD. Tighten it up, Rumph. This isn't the Penn State game that you blew.

The man gave The U fans and media an explanation for Byrd's decision, that all only speculated before, on why he choose Tenn. For a grown man and college football coach to demean a kid's character because he choose to attend another school would be juvenile, classless, unprofessional. Not mention when parents hear that they would not want him near their child. Dude it's important that these coaches represent a professional institution and profession and exhibiting character like you're suggesting would not be acceptable.

Advertisement
What bothers me is the timing associated with his "vibe" rational for choosing Tennessee. How does a kid from Naples not have a good feel for the "vibe" at Miami? Had he never been there before?

He played the staff. It's their job to qualify prospects and have fallbacks in place. They screwed up both at CB and at WR in not getting this done.

Rumph's early returns are pretty horrible.

Lost a kid that was committed to Miami for an entire year the day before signing day, landed zero CBs, and his own Heritage players told him to fvck off.

If he flounders around this badly next cycle it'll be time to ship his *** back to Heritage's teacher's lounge.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is OP's criticism "bashing?" If we have learned anything from the last two regimes, it is incumbent on us as a fan base to have a critical eye towards our HC and staff...I hope Richt and company win multiple NCs, but i'm not going to be a mindless $ucknut-like sycophant.

To me, Rumph was using the media in an attempt to explain why he didn't close with Byrd, i.e. his "excuses." Sometimes, not saying anything works better, especially in Byrd's case, where he just had to be with his friend at Tennessee, GF be damned. The military offered this kind of "buddy" enlistment option (and may still do), but when we found out in the company/flight (I did USN and USAF) that two guys were buddy enlistees, we steered clear... That same thought process is being expressed about Byrd now; Rumph needs to speak less and work more.

Exactly. I'm not sure where wanting Rumph to fail and be fired and demanding he trash a kid publicly got conflated with not liking the tone of the remarks he made about this specific situation and making a 15+ year old joke about Chafie Fields burning him. To me this whole thing played out more like Rumph the high school coach reacting to a kid committing to a school he didn't want the kid to go to instead of Rumph the major college program coach having a kid embarrass him and his employer 12 hours prior to signing day. I think him saying ANYTHING about it, let alone positive statements, exemplify that. THAT is my only issue with Rumph and my hope is that he'd just side with only talking about the kids that did honor their commitments to him in the future rather than make excuses for the ones that didn't while making himself and the school look weak.

Last edited:
Yall read too much into interviews

maybe it's that and maybe it's also the fact that he was a head coach for a south florida school that was a pipeline for the SEC. guy has come off a little snakelike in the past. talks out of both sides of the mouth depending on who's asking the questions

Advertisement

Lost a kid that was committed to Miami for an entire year the day before signing day, landed zero CBs, and his own Heritage players told him to fvck off.

If he flounders around this badly next cycle it'll be time to ship his *** back to Heritage's teacher's lounge.

Hes the weak link on the staff so far and he just looks and sound like blah. Like he seems boring as ***, so far he hasnt done well n dude prolly gone in two years cuz MR aint playing dat ****

Advertisement
"Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph said Byrd “felt the vibe better at Tennessee. He liked the atmosphere at the school. He made the decision like a man. He talked to me and told me how he felt. You can’t look down on that. You’ve got to let a kid be a person he wants to be. I can’t be upset with that. He’s going to have a bright future at Tennessee. He’s one of the first kids I recruited. I just wish him the best.”

Off two terrific games, Whiteside has more to prove to Heat; Dolphins, Canes, Marlins chatter | Sports Buzz

I couldn't care less about discussing Byrd for one second longer but am concerned that Rumph would speak publicly and so weakly about a situation like this. He needs to take off his high school coach hat where wishing kids well wherever they go is cool and put on the hat where he never speaks about a kid again that d!cked him and his current employer over the night before NSD. Tighten it up, Rumph. This isn't the Penn State game that you blew.

Again, I try very hard not to criticize fellow fans...

However, what did Rumph say above that was so egregious? Are you that far removed from understanding the fickle minds of a teenager. So Byrd thought Tennessee was a better fit, awesome, good luck in Rocky Top. So Byrd takes shots at Miami while he committed to Tennessee. Fantastic. Sun rises and sets still in the program just like it did yesterday amd will tomorrow.

Rumph? His comments shows that he is acting like an adult. What a crime!

so Rumph went from "I won't take no for an answer." to "I won't take no for an answer...Unless you tell me no, then it's ok."

I'm no English lit expert but we all use figures of speech and if you cant recognize what Rumph said as a figure of speech then check EW Bullinger for a crash course.

"I wont take no for an answer" I think we all know this means he will give everything he has and use every resource available to land a kid. There is no need to mention that there is a line you don't cross and that's what happened with Byrd.

I can recognize empty rhetoric. When you come out and talk tough about your recruiting prowess, it makes you look silly when something like this happens just weeks later and you soften your stance. I'm not saying Rumph was a bad hire, and hopefully the program reaps the benefits of it starting with next year's class.

Cant agree more with WTH....

That or he coaches his *** off and makes bums look like lockdown corners for us

Rumph better be a master technician who coaches like a beast because if that's his approach to recruiting he's in trouble on that front.

Advertisement
Back