We Were Warned

CaneFan79

Senior
https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...ired-texas-performance-review-what-went-wrong

"It remains something of a mystery how a coordinator who enjoyed as much success as Diaz did prior to 2012 could fail as spectacularly as he did thereafter, but by the time last week's debacle mercifully came to an end, there was no mystery about the fact that the Texas defense was a hopelessly broken unit.
Perhaps Manny Diaz's schemes were workable with players who had already been taught the fundamentals of defensive football, which would plausibly explain why he thrived with the unit he inherited from Muschamp, but struggled as the core of that group moved on. That seemed to be Charlie Weis's problem at Notre Dame, where his "decided schematic advantage" proved to be empty boasting absent any "basic grasp of fundamentals."

stb.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was sucked in a bit last year by the defense that was largely Willis. How many top 50 offenses has Manny ever shut down here?

manny averaged the 20th-30th ranked defense here. he was very good.

you dont hire a guy for averaging the 20th-30th best defense in college to be the HC of the U. It was an outrageous unprecedented reach to hire a guy with his resume here.

manny averaged the 20th-30th ranked defense here. he was very good.

you dont hire a guy for averaging the 20th-30th best defense in college to be the HC of the U. It was an outrageous unprecedented reach to hire a guy with his resume here.
Manny sucked Blake with the I have to let temple know stuff. Blake should have been like “why am I out bidding temple for a coach?

Advertisement
Knock it off with the constant threads of “I told you so”. The biggest problem with the defense this year is they can’t tackle. It does not take a rocket scientist to teach tackling. You show the player proper form and they have to perform. The players this year just seem uninterested in tackling at a high level. Giving up 29 missed tackles in a game is on the players, not the coaches. So this archive you found has nothing to do with current state of program. There are all kinds of problems, but one of them have to do with Manny’s ability to teach fundamentals.

Knock it off with the constant threads of “I told you so”. The biggest problem with the defense this year is they can’t tackle. It does not take a rocket scientist to teach tackling. You show the player proper form and they have to perform. The players this year just seem uninterested in tackling at a high level. Giving up 29 missed tackles in a game is on the players, not the coaches. So this archive you found has nothing to do with current state of program. There are all kinds of problems, but one of them have to do with Manny’s ability to teach fundamentals.

another ********** blaming the kids and cant seem to figure out why a guy who has no business coaching any P5 team cant win here. its remarkable how dumb these shills are.

Manny's Defense as DC were good:

2018: 4.52ypp (3rd), 295.7 ypg (5th)
2017: 4.75ypp (8th), 363.9 ypg (37th)
2016: 4.90ypp (14th), 357.8 ypg (24th)

Problem is we hired a guy who has never been a HC and he made bad hires across the board, particularly at OC. Now we have an offense that is equally as bad as last year, a worse offense, STs that still haven't been addressed, and a HC who is over his head.

He also talked a big game in the off season and didn't back it up, that gets old real fast.

Advertisement

A big part of the defensive problem is not having the right personnel on the field. It took 5 games to get Rousseau on the field consistently. A walk-on LB, who should be out there, missed a bunch of tackles last week. They don't play Hall/Bolden together despite being the best 2 athletes at S. List goes on and on.

Manny's Defense as DC were good:

2018: 4.52ypp (3rd), 295.7 ypg (5th)
2017: 4.75ypp (8th), 363.9 ypg (37th)
2016: 4.90ypp (14th), 357.8 ypg (24th)

Problem is we hired a guy who has never been a HC and he made bad hires across the board, particularly at OC. Now we have an offense that is equally as bad as last year, a worse offense, STs that still haven't been addressed, and a HC who is over his head.

He also talked a big game in the off season and didn't back it up, that gets old real fast.

Ah yes the classic let’s find the statistical category he excelled in a declare he’s the best “yards per play” which is a metric that ignores giving up long drives and third downs which for the majority of his Canes career he was atrocious at.

His scoring and total defenses as a Hurricane coach managed top ten one time. He was a solid DC on a team that plays in the easiest conference in football, whose career as a coordinator was up and down, and who consistently got demolished by top programs.

The overrating of Diaz as DC is why he got hired. If people took a second to look at what an actual elite Miami defense was, then maybe they wouldn’t have blown Diaz so much and maybe the BOT wouldn’t have determined he was our savior long before Rick retired.

Advertisement
Ah yes the classic let’s find the statistical category he excelled in a declare he’s the best “yards per play” which is a metric that ignores giving up long drives and third downs which for the majority of his Canes career he was atrocious at.

His scoring and total defenses as a Hurricane coach managed top ten one time. He was a solid DC on a team that plays in the easiest conference in football, whose career as a coordinator was up and down, and who consistently got demolished by top programs.

The overrating of Diaz as DC is why he got hired. If people took a second to look at what an actual elite Miami defense was, then maybe they wouldn’t have blown Diaz so much and maybe the BOT wouldn’t have determined he was our savior long before Rick retired.

I'm not sure what you are angling for. I literally said he was a good DC and that was it. Not sure what your first paragraph is accusing me of.

I said he shouldn't have been hired when he got the nod. I went ape**** when he hired Enos.

In fairness, we’ve been talking about tackling or lack thereof for a while now.

Advertisement
Back