We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

Advertisement
Interesting comments in that video about what Lashlee looks for in a QB:

1) Winner
2) Leadership qualities
3) Wants to be at SMU & take them to the next level

At least one of our QBs wouldn't score well when you look at those three criteria (applied to Miami).

Is it? Malzahn is trash. He had Cam and has rode that into his jobs. Cam is the best college player possibly of all time. Malzahn has struggled without Cam. They hit lightning in a bottle with Nick Marshall at QB who is also an athletic freak who was playing QB. Now there are many OC’s worse than Malzahn but I would say he is middle of the pack type OC.

im talking as a OC, not as a HC calling plays.

as an OC, Guy lit it up pretty consistently and was a highly thought of spread guy despite coming from HS.

Advertisement
It's not that Lashlee is my guy, he's one of the OC's I listed who would be good here, but the point is the Superstar guaranteed big name OC yall are wanting for ain't coming here.

There are dozens of good OC's at programs that aren't **** & well known, whether or not Diaz can find them simply rests upon how much work he's willing to put in order to find them.

Idk who this fantastical OC that you're hoping we land, but I can guarantee you whoever he is or wherever he is, he didn't roll out of bed being an elite play caller at a P5 school.

Every single good OC in college ball started out at some small FCS school or even came outta HS. None of them begin as the OC for P5 championship team.

Lashlee is a significant upgrade from Enox, is he gonna lead us to being an undefeated playoff team, no, of course not, but can he orchestrate an offense good enough for us to win the coastal? Absolutely.

And not just Lashlee either, there's about 10-15 OC's I could name who if they ran their offense here could win us the Coastal. The fact is Joe Brady ain't ****** coming here, he's headed back to the NFL as soon as a good opportunity comes calling, so the Brady or bust method is little unrealistic for fans to expect.
Any concerns about Lashlee's redzone O? The stats say he struggles there. Based on what I see from the SMU/Temple game his O looks like what I am looking for... Power run spread.

I think Lashlee could kill it here. There’s no hire that everyone will love but I’ve watched a decent amount of SMU’s games(including the bowl loss against FAU) and agree with LCE. We win, at minimum, 10 games with that quality of offense play calling this past season.

Manny could do MUCH worse than Lashlee. Not perfect by any means, but coaches can continue to learn and improve and I’d be excited to see what he does with our O.

Advertisement
Lol yea that's why he just hired Chad Morris as OC. Chad ain't going to Auburn without full control on play calling bc he had a lot of other offers. Gus trust those that produce up to his expectations.
Gus malzahn is expected to continue to call plays in 2020. Morris will have a big part in the offense but Malhzan will still call the plays. BTW Lashlee didn't start calling plays at Auburn until 2016 after week 4 I believe

If it's Lashlee we will be looking for a new HC next year. He's a good, young up and coming guy but I don't think he's the type to flip things completely in year 1. Would love to be wrong but I think it will take time that Diaz doesn't have.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The WRs didn't disappear at SMU this year.

They had 2 stud WRs. In 7 games before getting hurt, Reggie Roberson, who was probably playing better of the 2 early in the season, had 43/803/8 (18.3 per).

The other guy was James Proche, who finished the season with 111/1225/15.

Those are gaudy numbers that don't indicate any WRs are disappearing.
Now THAT is the best way to use analytics!

It’s Malzahns offense. As someone who has watched A lot of Auburn games, I’m not a fan. It’s very gimmicky. WR disappear in that offense. It’s actually very run heavy which is good for our RB. It will be very fast and up tempo. If we don’t get 1st downs our defense will be dead tired but the 4th quarter.

It will be interesting if he does get the job.

we don’t get first downs anyway

What's hilarious about that is, Brady was at William & Mary then was a GA for a year with Penn St, then with the Saints.

According to the board, he would've been a "terrible hire & sucks!" because he wasn't a highly experienced OC who had never called plays on a playoff team.

And same with Yost, before he became the coveted Superstar OC that the board wants he started out at Tiffin University & then went to Toledo before he became an OC at Mizzou. If we ever hired a QB coach from Toledo as our OC the board would start a riot.

Fans have no vision or foresight, to them it's all Clemson, Bama, UGA or whatever team is hot at the moment & we just need to go get whichever coach is on those teams, when those same teams go & get G5/FCS/D2 coaches all the time. Bama's LB coach Pete Golding had never coached at a P5 school before he got hired at Bama, he was at Delta St, Southeastern Louisiana & Souther Miss, but Saban did his due diligence & found him.

Clemson's OC Tony Elliot was at South Carolina St & Furman before he got hired by Dabo at Clemson, zero P5 experience before that. And Jeff Scott was a WR's coach at Presbyterian before getting hired at Clemson.

Lincoln Riley was a TTech WR coach, then an OC at ECU before Stoops handed over the offense to him.
Not advocating for or against Lashlee but I agree with your sentiment Liberty. It’s as if we have money falling out of the coffers and can just go rob one of these top coaches from a perennial CFP team. All I pray is that Manny does some resemblance of due diligence and hires the right OC, OL, and WR coach. Worst case is Diaz is let go next season which everyone is clamoring for anyways.

Advertisement
Back