We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

Advertisement
He’s adapted from that being around sonny dykes, they were top 15 in passing last year and have a balanced offensive attack

Pat Sullivan had influence on him too, it’s not all
Malzahn. He’s taken from all three guys he’s worked under , which is always a good thing. He’s already worlds ahead of Malzahns route concepts.

SMU had a great season and they were exciting. They were one of the first teams to buy a machine called "The Seeker," which is basically a jugs machine on steroids. Can put it on the outside shoulder 45 yards down the field, for example, if they want to practice that. All of a sudden their WRs flourished.

As for stats, SMU ranked 80th of 130 in rush percentage and right around 50%. But they were 35th in rush attempts per game (41), because they were 3rd in the nation at plays per game (81).

Creative pass attack, plays fast, 40 rush attempts per game. At this point I have no opinion one way or the other, but he checks a lot of the boxes.

Fire Beta Blake, spend his bloated salary on The Seeker.

Win-win.

Advertisement
I don’t give a **** why he left Auburn after being there for four seasons.

he improved UConn in a season

year one at SMU still were solid on offense.
Did SMU starter bounce to Arkansas?

his year, he grabs a transfer who lost starting job at Texas and does pretty ******* well.

I’d rather have Yost, but Lashlee is a solid pickup. Now get some solid position coaches and recruiters.

The improvement at UConn is even more impressive when you consider what a depressing situation UConn has, with downshifting out of the AAC.

Just because you’re in shotgun doesn’t mean spread dude , he ran a pro style offense. It was just in shotgun , stop. And even then we were very compact.

We also didn’t use wide splits on the ol.

There’s nothing about ricts offense that was spread, even the route concepts were basic pro style bs. The rpo he used was very basic too.

Dude was running out of date , old *** concepts. The rpo was the only thing that was somewhat new.

Erickson was the last guy to run a spread here. And that was a true spread , just majority under center.

We should call Dennis Erickson and see if we can bring him out of retirement to serve as our OC. We could offer to sign his grandson to an LOI and post his photo in all the local bars with a "do not serve" instruction.

Advertisement
id absolutely be fine with lashlee.

Yeah, I'm not 100% yes or 100% no, I just think it is so weird that people want to be all-or-nothing about this.

We are unlikely to replace our President, Board of Trustees, and Athletic Director this week. And I'm not sure we can convince Beta Blake and Manny to hire Alpha Alonzo.

So if the best thing that can happen is that we hire a decent OC, I guess that's what will happen this week.

But a lot of posters have a lot of agendas. Not sure why they are so eager to trash this man before he fills out his I-9.

Advertisement
If Miami could score 28 in regulation, we would have won 4 more games in 2019 and sent a 5th into overtime.

I get the garbage time scores that was raised, so the 28 pts is a bit skewed. But that said, Lashlee's offense at SMU averaged about 40+ pts a game and were ranked #7 in scoring offense. If our defense stays anywhere in the top #25, I will take that any day of week.

Advertisement
I hope he’s not leveraging this into a raise or bidding with other schools. He was the plan A guy and was on campus in the beginning of the week. The longer this goes the worse. Especially with that Anae fella popping up. Which could be viewed as a positive , manny definitely gets fired with that guy.

The thing that intrigues me the most about Lashlee is he's a Malzahn disciple (heavy run) who worked under an air raid coach in Dykes. He should theoretically be able to present the best of both worlds. TVD is an athletic QB was a great arm. Im praying this guy knows what to do with a talent like tht.
"Theoretically" being the key word.

As I've stated several times in this thread, I am neutral on this guy so far until I can do a little more research. But I have to say that the youtube clip of the "explosive" SMU offense posted earlier in this thread didn't show me many innovative route concepts. It looked like Madden '95.

That said, the spacing was much better than what we've had, I saw multiple looks/formations, & we know he likes to play very uptempo (at least at SMU) which should only benefit us with the SFla heat and our skill players. I like that he runs the ball out of shotgun power sets, and it looks like he utilized multiple backs and TEs in the backfield (like Enos said he would do lol).

If he can build on what he learned from Dykes, I think he can flourish. My fear is that without Dykes, he reverts back towards the power spread (or whatever the technical term is) that he learned/ran under Gus for so many years, and that I do not want. We don't have the OL for it and we never will.

He is a tough eval, because you can basically throw out what he did at UConn, as they are one of the worst D1 programs and were probably getting blown out every game, allowing him to pad his numbers (just a theory I am spitballing). And at Auburn, we don't know the dynamic - even if he was calling plays, Gus was him mentor and he probably had a script to stick to. He was pretty young at the time, and from what I've read here, Gus was lurking over his shoulder at the very least.

If/when he gets hired, I will watch every SMU game and I will form my opinion on him at that time. I just hope a few more names leak so we can get an idea of where Manny wants to go with this hire.

Advertisement
Back