We have a "Welcome to the U"

Mixed feelings. On one hand, this guy has the exact physical profile this team lacks on the defensive line. I've been screaming about the need for a long, 280+ DE/DT that can set the edge. This guy fits the bill to a tee.

However, he is RAW. Just based on the video I can't see how he can contribute early next year unless he makes huge strides. Really wish he was an EE.

The good thing is he has 3 years to play 3, so there is time to develop him.

Physically, the guy is ready...so there is half the battle.

But I don't see him playing next year, unless we just throw him out there and let him sink or swim (we did that with a ton of guys last season). You can see a little stack and shed, but its not clean.

Advertisement
Guys, A kid like this is essentially a key cog in the defense we want to run. Ideally in our D, he will never put up huge stats or get much shine. When he does his job correctly a guy like this is invaluable because on run downs they will hold the point of attack and on passing plays they will allow a guy like Muhammad to do what he does best get to the Qb. I am not a fan of the 2 gap type 3-4 (In college I would rather a attacking up field 1 gap 3-4, but I also dont get the big bucks, sooo) but its what the coaches want to run and this allows them to do it more effectively. I support this move because we dont have the lengthy, big body type who does what these guys need to make their defense look good. Look at our roster and we only have Jacoby Briscoe and he is too young to expect him to do this dirty work yet. If dono ever wants to run his D effectively he cant get by with Shayon, I am not a fan but I support them going out and finding somebody, anybody to fill that role. Hope it works, but I support the effort.

And also anyone who looked at the visit list and expected a commit from this weekend must be new to recruiting. Most of these guys have waited this long and will wait til the end. From reports the only person who has a chance of announcing before signing day is Collins AFTER his visit to Arky. But reading the tea leaves (his interview with the herald) sounds like he will take as much time as possible. Just chill, Feb 6 will be here soon enough.
Great post! Let the church say Amen!

Mixed feelings. On one hand, this guy has the exact physical profile this team lacks on the defensive line. I've been screaming about the need for a long, 280+ DE/DT that can set the edge. This guy fits the bill to a tee.

However, he is RAW. Just based on the video I can't see how he can contribute early next year unless he makes huge strides. Really wish he was an EE.

He is as raw as a fresh killed antelope (just another of the many past and future African metaphors), but that's a good thing as it means his ceiling is through the roof.
We don't want those Jeff Luc guys who peaked their senior year in high school, or those 5 star entitled divas who just want to put in 3 years somewhere until they declare for the draft like Forston.
Sure, we wish they could all be 5 star studs like Duke who will work his *** off like a walk on, but if we can't fill our roster with only 5 star studs, then let's get all the guys with 5 star potential and then coach them up.

We all forget that the majority of recruits are all raw when they get to the next level. That's where coaching comes into play.

Great post, rudebuddha!!! +1000

Advertisement
When is he enrolling?

If you look at his game by game stats, they improved greatly at the end of the year. I bet the light was coming on for him at the end of the year, and he'll probably carry that over to his first year at the U. Not game ready, but not quite as raw as we think.

I think Junior Alexis is gone. I know I didnt care for darius smith but lets be real David Perry was a 4 star and he hasnt done anything either. I thought Gunter was a waste last year for a scholly and he came on strong. Coach Golden knows how to develop talent. I think we have to keep in mind, in a perfect world, Moore and Ivery would have redshirted and corey king and Porter came in mid-season off of injuries.

he seems like an Olsen Pierre type of DL recruit, versatile and capable of blossoming as the staff works with him....

I think Junior Alexis is gone. I know I didnt care for darius smith but lets be real David Perry was a 4 star and he hasnt done anything either. I thought Gunter was a waste last year for a scholly and he came on strong. Coach Golden knows how to develop talent. I think we have to keep in mind, in a perfect world, Moore and Ivery would have redshirted and corey king and Porter came in mid-season off of injuries.

Bottom line is you get more out of your players when you have a specific plan in place and have specific responsibilities you want them to do. When you recruit players to match your philosophies you increase their odds of making an impact. Something that was massively ****ed up before Golden got here, and something that has already shown signs of life even though it usually takes a little bit of time to get those plans in place.

Star rankings are a load of **** in part but a lot of these guys earn them by kicking *** at camps and dominating competition, so the rankings are legitimate. These guys that get their low ratings because they dont have the ability to travel around, and guys who get high ratings based on offers and highlights just don't mean ****, especially when they could be recruited for entirely different purposes or roles than what they played in high school.

Advertisement

Bottom line is you get more out of your players when you have a specific plan in place and have specific responsibilities you want them to do. When you recruit players to match your philosophies you increase their odds of making an impact. Something that was massively ****ed up before Golden got here, and something that has already shown signs of life even though it usually takes a little bit of time to get those plans in place.

Star rankings are a load of **** in part but a lot of these guys earn them by kicking *** at camps and dominating competition, so the rankings are legitimate. These guys that get their low ratings because they dont have the ability to travel around, and guys who get high ratings based on offers and highlights just don't mean ****, especially when they could be recruited for entirely different purposes or roles than what they played in high school.

This is soo true and I kinda touched on it in a post earlier. This guy fills a need and is a necessity. It might not be the **** position of RB, QB, or WR but when you have a guy Golden. You know he has a plan and a pickup like this has a higher chance of being successful because you know exactly where he fits in that plan from day 1. Completely different than going across the country because you overlooked talent at home from the previous regimes.

This

112th in rushing defense
113th in total sacks
105th in tackles for loss

Taking Bond, Figueroa, and Mafoombaclickclack tells me Golden knows we can win next season, and wants immediate help in these areas. It is not related to whiffing on Semi**** or Bostwick.

Interesting DMoney because I had assumed we were looking for immediate help. Why did we take him over the kid from University School who had good size/measurables? Both seem to be projects based on what you're saying. Is this kid further along or have better upside as you see it?

Advertisement
Robert Cassidy, who covers JUCO football for Rivals.com, saw Kamalu play this season.

"Butler had the best defense in the country JUCO wise," Cassidy said. "They had a lot of good players on that roster. [Kamalu is] a really big kid, very raw because he's only been playing football a few years. He relies a little bit on bull rushes. He just runs kids over. He's one of those kids who is going to need some coaching. If the staff at Miami can mold him into a football player, he has the potential to be a great player. There is definitely some technique that he needs to work on."

Kamalu, rated a 2-star prospect by Rivals.com and a three-star by ESPN, will reportedly cancel planned visits to West Virginia and Auburn now that he's committed to UM. Canesport.com reported Kamalu could play defensive end, tackle or tight end at Miami - coaches will put him at the position where he can get on the field quickest.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...orn-juco-defensive-lineman.html#storylink=cpy

More right up.

The best defensive end in the state you probably never heard of is Ufomba Kamalu.

Kamula (6-foot-5, 245 pounds) has been terrorizing opponents for Starr’s Mill all season. He had five sacks in a 35-24 vcvtory over Northgate just this past weekend.

But you won’t find this athletic senior on any recruiting lists. That’s because Kamula came to Starr’s Mill in the ninth grade from Nigeria. As a result, his academics aren’t quite in order to be considered by Football Bowl Subdivision schools.

Nevertheless, one opposing coach told Starr’s Mill coach Chad Phillips that Kamalu was by far the best defensive linemen he’d seen this season. And that, the coach said, includes the much-ballyhooed LaMichael Fanning of Harris County, who has committed to Alabama.

“He’s D-1, now; he’s D-I all the way,” Phillips told Georgia High School Football Daily. “You’ve got to see him. He looks like Adonis; real cut, no fat on him.”

College coaches are starting to take notice. They are often calling Phillips to request video of offensive line prospect Alex Barr. When they get it, they tend to notice Kamalu.

“All the coaches are calling when they see him on film,” Phillips said. “‘Who’s that No. 47?’”

Phillips believes Kamula will get a chance to display his talents in big-time college football. After, that is, short stint at prep school.

Last edited:
he seems like an Olsen Pierre type of DL recruit, versatile and capable of blossoming as the staff works with him....

Solid.

People killed AG when Pierre signed and he has been the most reliable DT.

I like this signing.

Good **** from GCane, Larry, and Franchise in this thread.

Advertisement
Fishbien called it a good pick up for "South Temple"....just a tidbit for anyone that actually listens to that **** face

Advertisement
Back