We have a "Welcome to the U"

btw, Canesport says he will arrive as a RS sophomore so does that mean he has 3 to play 3?

Advertisement
One site reports an Auburn offer as well.

good to know, however its not very comforting then WVU who was awful on D and Auburn who was a complete greasefire are the only BCS offers. In Al we trust though

So your telling me teams that had terrible defenses offering this kid is a bad thing??? Think they might be trying to upgrade??? Last time i checked our D wasn't to stellar either...

traditionally yes it isn't a great thing since they go after recruits who the better teams aren't going after as the big boys can have who they want. it should make anyone feel better that LSU, Bama, and UGA are recruiting the same kid we are compared to North Texas, Toledo and a bottomfeeder defensive BCS tier team. in many cases schools like WVU and Auburn will use their "name" to get kids like this as they are desperate and hope that they work out with good coaching and development. this is one reason that leads me to believe he committed on the spot is all of his recruitment prior to was inferior to miami.

it is no secret that we are desperate for bodies up front so the move makes sense but appears to be a project. with that being said i have the upmost confidence that golden and co can develop players and probably see something other schools don't in this kid.

or could it be that those top teams like LSU and Bama dont NEED to go the JUCO route because they have head coaches thats been at their school for 4 to 5 years and has already has the depth necessary to replenish their D-line thru high school recruits. If i remember correctly when Miami was dominating they didn't bring in a ton of JUCOs. and if u look thru the history of high ranked high school DT's the bust rate is very very high, I dont mind bringing in kids who have already played against kids who are more evenly matched and have made plays doing it.

certainly agree with most of your points especially them having to take the juo route. the coaches length of service at the school is where we differ as we are having no issues with a 3rd year head coach in other positions recruiting wise. for some reason we have struggled with the DT position and have either struck out, aren't feeling good about other prospects or these JuCo kids are better than what we currently have on active roster and golden sees immediate upgrade potential and feels confident that we can win now. the jucos might not have as much upside as the freshman we are recruiting but they can play now and be effective where the freshman aren't quite ready to contribute yet.

I'm happy- we needed a JUCO DL pretty badly. Who knows if he'll be alright. Last 2 star JUCO kid we took (Gunter) ended up being a stud. Like Cans said, DL are found in the weirdest places.

This pick up has very little to do with Bostwick and Bryant.

JUCO kids and their star rankings are very poor things to go by...they are barely evaluated by these sites and a lot of their offers come in late, so the sites can't base their star ranking off of that.

JUCO Ball is an uptapped evaluations area for the sites. There isn't a big market for it, so I understand.

Marcus Hardison had offers from everyone and this guy looks just as good as him to me (IMO). Lavon Hooks, on the other hand, was on another level, but that guy was a freak

I'm happy- we needed a JUCO DL pretty badly. Who knows if he'll be alright. Last 2 star JUCO kid we took (Gunter) ended up being a stud. Like Cans said, DL are found in the weirdest places.

This pick up has very little to do with Bostwick and Bryant.

JUCO kids and their star rankings are very poor things to go by...they are barely evaluated by these sites and a lot of their offers come in late, so the sites can't base their star ranking off of that.

JUCO Ball is an uptapped evaluations area for the sites. There isn't a big market for it, so I understand.

Marcus Hardison had offers from everyone and this guy looks just as good as him to me (IMO). Lavon Hooks, on the other hand, was on another level, but that guy was a freak

Hooks was the best defensive lineman, maybe best defensive player this year in one of the best JUCO ball states in the country.

Advertisement
BylsmaFistPump.jpg

If he has 3 to play 3 that would be huge. My football friends tell me this guy has zero technique but he definitely has strength and speed. He could be a monster by the time he's a RS Senior.

If he has 3 to play 3 that would be huge. My football friends tell me this guy has zero technique but he definitely has strength and speed. He could be a monster by the time he's a RS Senior.

I guess he doesn't have much technique in terms of pass rushing moves (particularly his hands), but IMO he already uses his body and leverage VERY well when taking on OL

Advertisement
If you're watching our recruiting you can clearly see we're wanting to be more versatile with our fronts. Often times recruiting isn't just about looking at who's the absolute best player left, it's to find players that have the skills and mentality that you're needing to fit your scheme.

This kid is a perfect 5 technique for the 3-4, a move DT in the nickel, and a LDE in the 4-3 for running downs. Most likely he's a player who'll be asked to do the dirty work, occupy blockers and allow some of his teammates to run to the ball.

The kid fits what Coach wants to accomplish on defense perfectly and is a 3-in-3 kid whose best football is ahead of him. When you add to that fact we don't really have anyone similar other than maybe Grimble, the commitment really makes sense. Not every recruit is going to be a headliner like 6 or Collins, but you need kids who fill roles, and that's what this kid does perfectly IMHO.

If you're watching our recruiting you can clearly see we're wanting to be more versatile with our fronts.

Often times recruiting isn't just about looking at who's the absolute best player left, it's to find players that have the skills and mentality that you're needing to fit your scheme.

This kid is a perfect 5 technique for the 3-4, a move DT in the nickel, and a LDE in the 4-3 for running downs.

Most likely he's a player who'll be asked to do the dirty work, occupy blockers and allow some of his teammates to run to the ball.

The kid fits what Coach wants to accomplish on defense perfectly and is a 3-in-3 kid whose best football is ahead of him.

When you add to that fact we don't really have anyone similar other than maybe Grimble, the commitment really makes sense. Not every recruit is going to be a headliner like 6 or Collins, but you need kids who fill roles, and that's what this kid does perfectly IMHO.

my thoughts exactly

I guess he doesn't have much technique in terms of pass rushing moves (particularly his hands), but IMO he already uses his body and leverage VERY well when taking on OL

From watching our defense the past 5 years technique, outside of a bull rush, is not something we have emphasized.
I said it in another post about Ufomba, 6'6" 280lbs and a listed 4.65 40 time what's not to like?
Kid is a big, strong, fast, athletic ball of clay which our coaches can mold into something dangerous.

Advertisement
Mixed feelings. On one hand, this guy has the exact physical profile this team lacks on the defensive line. I've been screaming about the need for a long, 280+ DE/DT that can set the edge. This guy fits the bill to a tee.

However, he is RAW. Just based on the video I can't see how he can contribute early next year unless he makes huge strides. Really wish he was an EE.

The good thing is he has 3 years to play 3, so there is time to develop him.

Mixed feelings. On one hand, this guy has the exact physical profile this team lacks on the defensive line. I've been screaming about the need for a long, 280+ DE/DT that can set the edge. This guy fits the bill to a tee.

However, he is RAW. Just based on the video I can't see how he can contribute early next year unless he makes huge strides. Really wish he was an EE.

This is my point. I dont think he will necessarily contribute much next year but as a RS Junior or Senior he can be a monster.

Advertisement

He is as raw as a fresh killed antelope (just another of the many past and future African metaphors), but that's a good thing as it means his ceiling is through the roof.
We don't want those Jeff Luc guys who peaked their senior year in high school, or those 5 star entitled divas who just want to put in 3 years somewhere until they declare for the draft like Forston.
Sure, we wish they could all be 5 star studs like Duke who will work his *** off like a walk on, but if we can't fill our roster with only 5 star studs, then let's get all the guys with 5 star potential and then coach them up.

We all forget that the majority of recruits are all raw when they get to the next level. That's where coaching comes into play.

dont love, wasnt impressed by his film at all.

and probably means theyre not feeling great about Bostwick or Bryant

Quite likely has nothing to do with Bryant or Bostwick. Bryant is likely to redshirt and Bostwick may very well have to go to prep.

Advertisement
Back