We got a bye in the ACC tournament!

Things get a bit complicated if we have more than one team tied with an 11-7 record.

Our scenario is easy -- we need to beat VT to be 11-7 and in the running for a 3-6 seed.

If UNC loses to Duke Saturday, they also are 11-7. Of course, if UNC and Miami are the only 11-7 teams, we would be seeded ahead of UNC based on last night.

However Clemson (v. FSU, @ SYR) and/or NC State (@ GT, v. UL) also would be 11-7 if they lose one of their last two games. Louisville (v. UVA, @ NC State) also could be 11-7 if they win both of their last couple of games, but I think that is pretty unlikely given their competition. (For simplicity, I have assumed that Louisville loses and is 10-8 or worse.)

Three-way ties are first settled by head-to-head records of the tied teams (i.e., a mini-conference). We would fare pretty well in such a mini-conference, since our only loss to these potential teams is versus Clemson, and we have wins against UNC and NC State.

UNC has wins against NC State and Clemson, and losses against NC State, Clemson, and us, and we should match up pretty well against UNC in a mini-conference.

Clemson has wins against NC State, UNC, and us, and losses against NC State and UNC. We match up pretty well against Clemson in a mini-conference with all four teams, but would likely lose to Clemson in a three-way mini-conferences.

NC State has wins against Clemson and UNC, and losses to Clemson, UNC, and us. That isn't going to compare well to us.

Advertisement
If NC State losses one game, we beat VT, and Duke beats UNC then we are a 4 seed and if clemson losses then were a 3 seed.

Advertisement
If NC State losses one game, we beat VT, and Duke beats UNC then we are a 4 seed and if clemson losses then were a 3 seed.

Only partly true for the 3 seed. We would also need NC State to win because we don't win 3-way tiebreaker with UNC/Clemson, but we do win 4 way tiebreaker with UNC/Clemson/NC State

ACC TOURNAMENT SCENARIOS - article gives scenarios for all ACC teams

MIAMI (10-7, VS. VIRGINIA TECH)

No. 3 seed with a win AND Clemson loss, UNC loss, NC State win
No. 4 seed with a win AND Clemson loss, UNC loss, NC State loss; OR with a win AND Clemson win, UNC loss
No. 5 seed with a win AND UNC win
No. 6 seed with a loss AND NC State loss
No. 7 seed with a loss AND N.C. State win

VT down! Now go Duke so we get our DOUBLE bye.

Hoping to be a 4 seed as rather play NC State and Virginia than North Carolina and Duke.

Advertisement
Clemson goes down! If Duke wins we'll be a 3 or a 4.

If NC State wins we're a 3.

If NC State loses we're a 4.

Guess that makes me a Louisville fan tonight but a maniac for Duke. Gonna be tough to do.

Clemson goes down! If Duke wins we'll be a 3 or a 4.

If NC State wins we're a 3.

If NC State loses we're a 4.

Guess that makes me a Louisville fan tonight but a maniac for Duke. Gonna be tough to do.

We needed Clemson to win for the perfect scenario. Now the options are Louisville wins we play UNC then Virginia. If NC state wins its Duke and UNC. I think I would rather play Duke and let another team get hot and knock Virginia out before we have to play them in the finals. Either way we playing UNC first.

We needed Clemson to win for the perfect scenario. Now the options are Louisville wins we play UNC then Virginia. If NC state wins its Duke and UNC. I think I would rather play Duke and let another team get hot and knock Virginia out before we have to play them in the finals. Either way we playing UNC first.

If UNC and Louisville win we'd be the 5 and Clemson would be the 4.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Being a 3 means we play UNC most likely instead of BC and then Clemson. Not so sure this scenario is better.
I think UNC would be better. BC gives us trouble, and we lost to Clemson. Better chance we advance to the next round against UNC than BC and Clemson imo

I think UNC would be better. BC gives us trouble, and we lost to Clemson. Better chance we advance to the next round against UNC than BC and Clemson imo
BC is a nightmare matchup. But Clemson beat us before Grantham went down for the season. They've still been pretty good without him but not really the same. UNC will want revenge and it'll be really hard to beat them again in such a short span.

BC is a nightmare matchup. But Clemson beat us before Grantham went down for the season. They've still been pretty good without him but not really the same. UNC will want revenge and it'll be really hard to beat them again in such a short span.

I know BC has been tough for us, but you'd have to be confident. I think we'd beat Clemson too. UNC... doubtful.

Advertisement
Back