We done with the "Bench Patchan" chatter?

Advertisement
Not knocking Patchan but the whole line.when a qb has time to complete a 4th &17 with or without a blitz that tells you all what you need to know.our dline has to step it up.qb should never have the time against a good dline to complete it.

The real controversy shouldn't be on why Patchan, the most consistent DL this season, isn't riding the pine. The real controversy is why Greg hasn't supplanted Garvin yet as a starter. I literally feel like every time Rousseau isn't on the field is a wasted opportunity.

And it truly sucks to even consider that with Garvin. Unreal his subpar start to this season.

I wonder if it is a scheme thing or a talent issue. Would like our local media to actually ask better questions like this. We have been great against the run as opposed to past years. Maybe Baker doesn’t want our guys attacking so hard up field and giving up huge holes for running lanes?
We often had that problem with a 4-3 attacking scheme. I remember FSU in the '80's running huge chunks inside of Danny Stubbs who was way upfield. I guess it's a dilemma of running an attacking defense. Under Manny-Blake we seem to be doing a lot of new things. Sometimes I feel like we're in a 3-4, mixing schemes on different plays, sometimes rushing and attacking with four or more, sometimes sitting back with some of our linemen.

Whether we prove to be better I think it will take some time to find out. Maybe this guy Blake is an emerging young defensive genius, maybe not.

It looks to me like we're in a different and more complex defensive scheme and it will take some time for young players to get acclimated. I suspect Manny is a very smart guy and has an idea of where he wants to go and he's not there yet.

I just say patience. Let's see what happens. The offense--I hope-- is getting better.

Not knocking Patchan but the whole line.when a qb has time to complete a 4th &17 with or without a blitz that tells you all what you need to know.our dline has to step it up.qb should never have the time against a good dline to complete it.
I think they caught us flat-footed and not knowing exactly what to do. Partly the result of inexperience. Go back and look at that play. I think one of our DEs, maybe Patchan didn't even rush. Looked confused.

Advertisement
Been looking for it all season and waiting for some type of Nascar or 4 DE Package with Patchan inside.

Patchan has been solid, people undervalue his run defense. Not sure why he has haters on here. Also I'm sure one big reason Patchan is starting is cause he's a way better tackler than Rosseau. He's missed a lot of tackles in 3 games. Why isn't this ever talked about?

Patchan has been solid, people undervalue his run defense. Not sure why he has haters on here. Also I'm sure one big reason Patchan is starting is cause he's a way better tackler than Rosseau. He's missed a lot of tackles in 3 games. Why isn't this ever talked about?

It’s never talked about because it doesn’t fit the picture the Patchan haters are trying to paint.

Patchan isn't the reason we're stopping the run. In fact, if you watch the UNC game, their only big runs were because he didn't hold contain. They specifically targeted his end on the jet sweeps because he could hold the edge. To give patchan credit for UM stopping the run is simply ignorant.

He deserves no credit for UM’s run defense being stout?

This is laughable.

Its the defense as a whole. The defense doesn't look to be as disruptive(especially d-line) as it has since diaz has been dc. Even he said that only 2 sacks and 8tfls vs bethune isn't good enough.
Of course it doesn't look as disruptive. We don't have a Willis/McIntosh type tackle that creates consistent inside pressure. So we end up getting cute with stunts or send a LB. Meanwhile when the DEs penetrate, they're vulnerable to the read option with no LB scraping in for support.

How many times have we seen Garvin left on an island, while UNC gashed us on the read option. They had two big running plays when we had them inside the 10 (14 and 19 yards) to get to mid field. Their first play of the game winning drive was again the same play for 22 yards also to mid field. Overall UNC had only 97 yards on 36 carries but 11 of those for -9 was the QB. Their lead runner got 76 yards on only 10 carries. When ever UNC needed a play, they dialed up the read option and got 15-20 yards.

That's not on Garvin or Patchen. That's on the scheme and the refusal/inability to adjust.

Last edited:
Advertisement
bro, people don't know wtf they're talking about 90% of the time. they wanna see lots of pretty colors and 1000 yards of offense to determine if the team is good or not.

we have imbeciles here saying garvin is overrated. lol even though we're the ones that "rated" him, but he's overrated. people are morons.

Yawn Garvin? Mr. Sackless since before Hallow's Eve in 2018? He seems like a nice kid. Maybe too nice. I want some nasty.

Your knowledge of football is laughable. DTs are there to protect LBs and help stop the run. DEs are meant to get up the field and apply pressure. Something he hasn’t done at all

ah, so DE's play no role at all in stopping the run? no setting the edge and forcing plays inside for the LB's to make plays, anything like that? thanks for dropping that knowledge bro!

Advertisement
ah, so DE's play no role at all in stopping the run? no setting the edge and forcing plays inside for the LB's to make plays, anything like that? thanks for dropping that knowledge bro!
Yes and that’s exactly where patchman was exposed over and over again against UNC.

Poor pass rush and slow the stop jet sweeps or outside runs. But keep preaching his gospel and we’ll all laugh

Yes and that’s exactly where patchman was exposed over and over again against UNC.

Poor pass rush and slow the stop jet sweeps or outside runs. But keep preaching his gospel and we’ll all laugh

you got the wrong guy, oh football genius. i haven't preached anything. you just said DE's are supposed to get up field and apply pressure. do they play a role in stopping the run, or not? waiting with anticipation at your hall of fame'esque analysis.

It’s never talked about because it doesn’t fit the picture the Patchan haters are trying to paint.
What needs to be talked about is Blissett making the first two plays he was in one being for a loss. Good production for on 6 plays.

Advertisement
Not true. Patchan was strong against the run and put pressure on the QB and graded out well in both of those games. Bethel did what he does - provided consistency.
He graded out horribly against Bethune what are you talking about

sure, lets bench the most productive DL of the season so far. are people actually calling for pathan to be benched?

Attachments

• C080821D-506A-4263-9DE8-F9BE6D47C905.jpeg
    C080821D-506A-4263-9DE8-F9BE6D47C905.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 19
Just end this already. Patchan absolutely should not be starting on a P5 team. Let alone Miami! Not even debatable... he's slow, not strong, unathletic, and rarely pressures.. Absolutely doesn't belong on the field. One of our worst DEs in the last 15 years.

/thread

Advertisement
Back