We beat UNC .. 3 straight... We can beat FSU

I see were already playing up the "win streak" angle.

This is the exact same season as last year except we took our medicine in reverse order.

Advertisement
Obviously it would be amazing for fsu to roll into Miami undefeated and us to ruin their season and take away their shot at a second consecutive (and what, 4th overall?) title. But more important than a shot at upsetting them when they're number 1 is them not winning another NC so I'll gladly welcome a Louisville win.

I don't know what game you guys were watching but first half I saw a few wrinkles in the defense but nothing crazy. The guys did play better defensively no doubt about that, for the first half.
Tell me about the start of the second half, I get it we caused turnovers but Vtech ran right through our defense, the play calls defensively were the exact same as always before. Look at the stats from 1st half and 2nd half it was awful. I'm not convinced yet at all. Stop the run first then worry about the pass, seems the coaches have it the other way around.
Those guys are on scholarship too. That's a good group over there with a lot of pride. They came out for the second half breathing fire like we knew they would. We met the challenge, weathered the storm, and took the ball away from them like we were toying with them.

I get that and I put that into perspective, but the issue was the fact of the way they played. First half aggressive downhill, 2nd half they were catching and that Dline was getting pushed off the ball hard.
I get it, at the college level its more about motivation then anything but I'd for once just like to see consistency and then as arm chair fans we can properly evaluate. IIf we were consistent we'd know what type of team we are defensively, and that's all I wanna see, if we suck on defense so be it, if were medicore, good amazing, whatever, just be consistent.
Offensively, you saw that consistency that game, and all game from the first snap to the last one, due to play calling, it didn't matter the down and distance. Coley who I was extremely impressed with his game plan, outside of a few calls but that goes with every OC, he had a scripted game plan, stuck with it and did it ever show. Those 2-4 yards runs in the first half turned into 8-12 yards run in the 2nd half and didn't matter who was in the backfield they were padding them stats.
Many have said it before but we're seeing Coley grow as an OC before our eyes, and I'm impressed, he's getting good and learning and becoming legitimately a good play-caller and not a liability and just a bad *** recruiter.

franchise's post rocketed right over your head.

It did... I now get it... Well done haha

Advertisement
FSU doesn't scare me this isn't the same team as last year. We could beat them but I dont have any faith in our HC and DC to make the proper game plan.

After watching the VT game 3 times now, I have analyzed it enough to realize that the showing wasn't just VT being terrible. For one, Coley is getting better as an OC and realizing the team's strengths and just becoming a better OC overall. There isn't really much denying the offense has continued to improve. If we can keep it up and the 3rd down woes become a thing of the past, then the offense will continue to light it up and there is no reason why they shouldn't.

Now on the defensive side of things, a lot of things were different. The scheme overall was the same, but there were plenty of adjustments that made it work the way it did. One is the fact that the linebackers were a couple of yards closer to the ball at all times than previously all year. This allowed our guys to meet the ball at the LOS and not 3 yards past it. Also, the LBs were reacting much quicker to plays and I don't know if they were playing more one gap assignment or what, but they were the quickest they have been all year and that applies for the o-line too. Again, that is pure mental decisions and VT being bad has no barring on that aspect. So there is true improvement there.

Also, we were matching personnel more often and not just sticking with the same base all game long. VT and Brewer looked terrible, but when I watched the game over a few times, I noticed a lot of that had to do with Miami. The secondary was much better. There were plenty of times they were playing physical and were trusted to hold on one on one and more times than not they did.

It was also nice seeing safeties coming in to support the run defense. The box was being loaded at correct times finally and it paid off every time. The blitzes were also very nice and called at perfect times and were successful nearly all night.

Basically, the defense was the absolute best it has been under Golden yet. Bad team or not, there were plenty of things improved tremendously that the competition level has no affect on. That is what gives me hope again. If the defense continues that against UNC, then I truly think we have a shot against FSU. And if we do play FSU close or even beat them, then we should also win out, and if that happens, I am all in.

I realize I will get negged and whatnot from some posters here, but I can handle that. After watching nearly every game multiple times and really analyzing the team over and over, I am very confident in the fact that something changed with the coaches and team altogether and something just clicked. I don't know if they went with more 1 gap defense, told the d-line to just wreak havoc, or what, but the scheme was not changed a whole lot, but there were some noticeable changes that had huge affects on the game and they are big enough changes that if they carry on for the rest of the year and into the future seasons, the defense will continue to impress.

He does this against every crappy team. Why is it that you think that he will coach any differently because last i checked fsu and Unc were both better on offense and we know how Golden is against teams with a pulse.

And how the **** can you say you dont know what defensive line technique we used but in the same keystroke claim you see the same defense?

If you dont know the defensive line technique then your judgment on the entire play is flawd from the beginning.

You watching the game 3 times over should have told you that vpi was terrible.

They fumbled twice while driving on us.

Nothing we did stopped them.

Living in Va im happier than anyone we stomped the chokies.

But lets not be fooled.

They suck donkey ding.

The only good to take from this game is that art kehoe is ouir best coach and that duke is a phenom.

After watching the VT game 3 times now, I have analyzed it enough to realize that the showing wasn't just VT being terrible. For one, Coley is getting better as an OC and realizing the team's strengths and just becoming a better OC overall. There isn't really much denying the offense has continued to improve. If we can keep it up and the 3rd down woes become a thing of the past, then the offense will continue to light it up and there is no reason why they shouldn't.

Now on the defensive side of things, a lot of things were different. The scheme overall was the same, but there were plenty of adjustments that made it work the way it did. One is the fact that the linebackers were a couple of yards closer to the ball at all times than previously all year. This allowed our guys to meet the ball at the LOS and not 3 yards past it. Also, the LBs were reacting much quicker to plays and I don't know if they were playing more one gap assignment or what, but they were the quickest they have been all year and that applies for the o-line too. Again, that is pure mental decisions and VT being bad has no barring on that aspect. So there is true improvement there.

Also, we were matching personnel more often and not just sticking with the same base all game long. VT and Brewer looked terrible, but when I watched the game over a few times, I noticed a lot of that had to do with Miami. The secondary was much better. There were plenty of times they were playing physical and were trusted to hold on one on one and more times than not they did.

It was also nice seeing safeties coming in to support the run defense. The box was being loaded at correct times finally and it paid off every time. The blitzes were also very nice and called at perfect times and were successful nearly all night.

Basically, the defense was the absolute best it has been under Golden yet. Bad team or not, there were plenty of things improved tremendously that the competition level has no affect on. That is what gives me hope again. If the defense continues that against UNC, then I truly think we have a shot against FSU. And if we do play FSU close or even beat them, then we should also win out, and if that happens, I am all in.

I realize I will get negged and whatnot from some posters here, but I can handle that. After watching nearly every game multiple times and really analyzing the team over and over, I am very confident in the fact that something changed with the coaches and team altogether and something just clicked. I don't know if they went with more 1 gap defense, told the d-line to just wreak havoc, or what, but the scheme was not changed a whole lot, but there were some noticeable changes that had huge affects on the game and they are big enough changes that if they carry on for the rest of the year and into the future seasons, the defense will continue to impress.

He does this against every crappy team. Why is it that you think that he will coach any differently because last i checked fsu and Unc were both better on offense and we know how Golden is against teams with a pulse.

And how the **** can you say you dont know what defensive line technique we used but in the same keystroke claim you see the same defense?

If you dont know the defensive line technique then your judgment on the entire play is flawd from the beginning.

You watching the game 3 times over should have told you that vpi was terrible.

They fumbled twice while driving on us.

Nothing we did stopped them.

Living in Va im happier than anyone we stomped the chokies.

But lets not be fooled.

They suck donkey ding.

The only good to take from this game is that art kehoe is ouir best coach and that duke is a phenom.

lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back