We are in Vernon Carey's final 4

I'd love it if Junior followed in his father's footsteps, but I'd understand if he made the business decision to go elsewhere. For all Coach L has done, he's not a blue blood coach and he's not coaching a blue blood school. Simple fact is Miami/Coach L haven't produced a Top 5 NBA kid since Rick Barry in 1965. Junior is looking at being a one-and-done lottery pick and he doesn't want to ***** that up.

I know there have been recent No. 1 picks outside the blue bloods, but those are rare. In this year's Draft, after Fultz (Washington), the next 4 all came from blue blood schools. When you are wagering such high dollars, most rational beings go with the best odds. Also, UM's 2019 roster doesn't look strong if you factor in Brown and Walker leaving and no one replacing them. The FBI probe is really hindering UM's efforts.

I usually get very angry at legacies who choose another school over UM, but in Junior's case I would understand. BTW, he's excellent. He has all of the tools but prefers to operate close to the basket. He reminds me of Embiid. Junior's second jump is quicker than any I've seen since Moses Malone. His biggest flaws are: (1) poor motor at times; and (2) he's not an elite rim protector, just a decent one.

Elite talent will always get recognized regardless of school. Off memory, recent top draft picks from non "blue bloods":

Deangelo Russel (#2) - Ohio State
Ben Simmons (#1) - LSU
Jaylen Brown (#3) - Cal
Jonathan Isaac (#6) - FSU
Dennis Smith (#8) - NC State
etc etc

Porter (Mizzou), Sexton (Bama), Young (OU), and Bamba (Texas) are all top 10 prospects in this upcoming draft; Walker (top 20 atm) could be also if he continues his improved play.

Advertisement
In 2016 the #5 pick was from Providence, the 8th pick was from Washington, 9th from Utah, 12th from Baylor. In 2015 Payne from Murray State was the last pick in the Lottery. In 2014 there were Lottery picks from Creighton and Louisiana-Lafayette.

UM's Rick Barry was the #2 pick in the 1965 NBA draft. He's in every Hall of Fame. Since then, who is our highest NBA draft choice? Not a trivia question. Anyone know?

UM's Rick Barry was the #2 pick in the 1965 NBA draft. He's in every Hall of Fame. Since then, who is our highest NBA draft choice? Not a trivia question. Anyone know?

Shane Larkin, Tim Jones, John Salmons in that order....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonnie Walker, 2018, most likely.

Barry was drafted 2nd by the Warriors in 1965
Larkin was drafted 18th by the Hawks in 2013
James was drafted 25th by the Heat 1999
Salmons was drafted 26th by the Spurs in 2002
Joe Wylie was drafted 38th by the Clippers in 1991
Tito Horford was drafted 39th by the Bucks in 1988
James Jones was drafted 49th by the Pacers in 2003
McClinton was drafted 51st by the Spurs in 2009
Diaz was drafted 52nd by the Clippers in 2006

Advertisement

Not a particularly great record over a period of four or more decades. I agree, Lonnie might end up after Barry. Salmons is easily the success story among that group. After Rick, of course. But ... you ask the average fan around the country who Salmons was, you get a blank stare. Fine, but very low-key, career.

Not a particularly great record over a period of four or more decades. I agree, Lonnie might end up after Barry. Salmons is easily the success story among that group. After Rick, of course. But ... you ask the average fan around the country who Salmons was, you get a blank stare. Fine, but very low-key, career.

True, but you can cross off 1971-1985, since we didn't even have a team

Not mad at the convo taking place but I was hoping there was a Vernon Carey update lol...

Advertisement

Davon Reed was drafted 32nd

I'd guess Tim James

Think it was Shane Larkin, #18 pick in 2013. Pretty sure James did not go that high. Point is, that was 48 years after Barry. Even with the dozen years we didn't choose to play ... that's not much of an NBA draft record to tout. Will Lonnie go higher than Shane?

Think it was Shane Larkin, #18 pick in 2013. Pretty sure James did not go that high. Point is, that was 48 years after Barry. Even with the dozen years we didn't choose to play ... that's not much of an NBA draft record to tout. Will Lonnie go higher than Shane?
I think lonnie & bruce will go higher especially if bruce can get his ego out his way again. Kids his own biggest problem.

Advertisement
SI put out a mock draft 4 days ago. Lonnie is projected 11th. Bruce is projected 21st.
NBAdraftnet on Feb 14 has Lonnie at 16 and Bruce at 32
NBC has Lonnie 15th and Bruce 24th
Sporting News has Lonnie 18th and Bruce 21st

So, it looks like all the mocks still rate Bruce

Anyone recall where BB was projected at last season's end? My thought is if it was higher than this year's projections, he's almost sure to go. Not wanting to risk falling out of the first round next season..

Anyone recall where BB was projected at last season's end? My thought is if it was higher than this year's projections, he's almost sure to go. Not wanting to risk falling out of the first round next season..

He's borderline first round now. Taking a big risk leaving early for no guaranteed money.

Advertisement
Spoke with someone a few weeks ago who is close with Vernon. Kid is not coming to UM. And my understanding is Vernon is not pushing him to UM or much less encouraging UM. Was told Vernon is much more a dolphin than a hurricane. He is a UM fan, but isn’t that close to the program. As many of our other alumni are. Just is more of a pro/Dolphins guy than he is a hurricane.

I'd love it if Junior followed in his father's footsteps, but I'd understand if he made the business decision to go elsewhere. For all Coach L has done, he's not a blue blood coach and he's not coaching a blue blood school. Simple fact is Miami/Coach L haven't produced a Top 5 NBA kid since Rick Barry in 1965. Junior is looking at being a one-and-done lottery pick and he doesn't want to ***** that up.

I know there have been recent No. 1 picks outside the blue bloods, but those are rare. In this year's Draft, after Fultz (Washington), the next 4 all came from blue blood schools. When you are wagering such high dollars, most rational beings go with the best odds. Also, UM's 2019 roster doesn't look strong if you factor in Brown and Walker leaving and no one replacing them. The FBI probe is really hindering UM's efforts.

I usually get very angry at legacies who choose another school over UM, but in Junior's case I would understand. BTW, he's excellent. He has all of the tools but prefers to operate close to the basket. He reminds me of Embiid. Junior's second jump is quicker than any I've seen since Moses Malone. His biggest flaws are: (1) poor motor at times; and (2) he's not an elite rim protector, just a decent one.

You really think Coach L would ***** up Vernon Carey’s Jr chances of being a lottery pick? That’s nonsense. L is about to send 2 players to the first round of the NBA draft at Miami. Not Duke or UNC or Kentucky. L also has beaten Duke and UNC regularly at Miami with lesser talent.

Real question might be would BB and Lonnie actually have gone at the same position in a draft if there were no rule preventing high school grads from going directly to the NBA. In Lonnie's case, not sure he wouldn't have gone just as high, without going to college at all. Now, and then, he's being drafted high based on athleticism and potential.

Spoke with someone a few weeks ago who is close with Vernon. Kid is not coming to UM. And my understanding is Vernon is not pushing him to UM or much less encouraging UM. Was told Vernon is much more a dolphin than a hurricane. He is a UM fan, but isn’t that close to the program. As many of our other alumni are. Just is more of a pro/Dolphins guy than he is a hurricane.

Disappointing but not all that surprising.

Advertisement
Back