we are at 20 commits...

I hope we sign 30-32. We have considerable space for EE's, once fall comes we will have the numbers on who made it in for 2013. We also have to factor in guys like Lockley, does he end up in 2014? The staff definitely knows more than I do. Our whole signing spree was awesome but some of the takes are somewhat of head scratchers to me. Will give Al the benefit of the doubt though, as his scouting has been quite good IMO in every class except 2011 when he had his hands tied behind his back.

I tend to be a little idealist and merciless in this way, but I'd say oversign by a bit and see what kind of natural shakeout results from it. Some guys from 2011 and 2012 appear to already have been recruited over and it wouldn't suprise me one bit to see anotehr 5-7 transfers next year.

I feel like a # of guys have mentioned trying to EE.

McDermott? Gibbons? Darling? Yearby? Kaaya?

Advertisement
The number will probably be in the upper 20s or close to 30, but as previously noted it depends on scholly reductions we face as a result of the investigation. Staff is also not keeping any dead weight on the roster.

Advertisement
Are we thinking that the likely scholly restrictions we will get wont be in place until signing day 2015?

Al has shown us, like most good coaches, that he's willing to cut the fat every offseason. He'll make room.

Advertisement
Lol OP is worried now that miami wont have room for his favorite recruits on his wish list....

OHNOOOOO!!! :rollcanes:

Are we thinking that the likely scholly restrictions we will get wont be in place until signing day 2015?

Sanction-wise - I would not be surprised if the strategy is to appeal the reduction of any scholarships beyond those already self-imposed.

This would benefit UM two-fold:
1) Delay anymore scholarship reductions until the next year (ie load up like USC)
2) Reduce the actual number of scholarship sanctioned via the appeal before UM imposed anymore scholarship reductions

I hope we sign 30-32. We have considerable space for EE's, once fall comes we will have the numbers on who made it in for 2013. We also have to factor in guys like Lockley, does he end up in 2014? The staff definitely knows more than I do. Our whole signing spree was awesome but some of the takes are somewhat of head scratchers to me. Will give Al the benefit of the doubt though, as his scouting has been quite good IMO in every class except 2011 when he had his hands tied behind his back.

I tend to be a little idealist and merciless in this way, but I'd say oversign by a bit and see what kind of natural shakeout results from it. Some guys from 2011 and 2012 appear to already have been recruited over and it wouldn't suprise me one bit to see anotehr 5-7 transfers next year.

Stuckey try to be an EE too.

Anyway, you sign all the studs that want in on NSD and you check the number later...

We will lose people because they are getting passed up on the depth chart... we will lose some to transfers and suspension...

Advertisement
Breaks down like this fellas and this takes into no account scholarship reductions:

75 on scholarship today.
+2 for AQM and Gilbert = 77 by start of season. Possible that Derosier could sneak in.
77 - 18 seniors = 59 scholarships at end of season.
+2 for Griffin and Lockley = 61 scholarships, 24 available.
-1 for attrition\transfers = 60 scholarships. I never like to speculate about this point but we can all assume that at a minimum one QB will transfer. That might even happen before this season starts.
So that puts the magic number at 60 scholarships and thus 25 available. That means there will be 5 more commits. Now let the speculation begin as to who transfers, goes pro early or gets the boot. It is probably safe to assume there will be 3 more of those. So I will put that number at 28 new commits. If we get more than 30 then to me that will represent a problem we do not want. There needs to be some roster stability starting this year.

Edge, not a bad breakdown. I came up w about the same number w out doing all that work.
Like I said, we get possibly 2 more commits in the next week and have maybe 5 left.

28 seems like a good number. 2014 has a lot of talent which is why 28 seems reasonable. But you also don't want to get classes too stacked from a numbers stand point.

Advertisement

Stuckey try to be an EE too.

Anyway, you sign all the studs that want in on NSD and you check the number later...

Agreed. I don't get caught up in it.

i'm not a guy who gets caught up in the numbers, the coaches know how many they can give out. but, if we get 2 more in the next week, there can only be a few spots left. this year truly will be a get on board or get left out year. theres no other way based on a rational number that can be left.

U MUST BE NEW TO THE RECRUITING GAME

28 seems like a good number. 2014 has a lot of talent which is why 28 seems reasonable. But you also don't want to get classes too stacked from a numbers stand point.

The flip side of that is that this may be the first time since Golden has been here that we can actually redshirt some guys, and that will start a more even class distribution.

-1 is way too low on attrition (it's been closer to ~5 per offseason lately), and it's a safe wager that one of Lockley/Griffin will just end up somewhere else. At least 1 or 2 of the current guys won't stick. I bet we have minimum 8 new commits between now & signing day.

Advertisement
Back