Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in reference to the bolded.

Last off szn Lane Kiffin got Oklahoma States starting qb to transfer to ole miss and be a back up. lol

We just had half of the board turned into alcoholics and crashed the server when we landed a kid from SUNY Albany b4 we paid Cam Ward the same amoutn of money we send to Ukraine to suit up 1 more szn for us.

Hes not great recruiter but he is "good"....and the he CANT recruit thing is a myth. If he was at UM we would be top 10 in recruiting yearly honestly.

People forget he was recuriting top 5 classes when he was at USC before he was left on the tarmac. Top class in the conference 2/3 years at FAU, even his one year at Tenn was a top 10 class.

He didn't just forget how to recruit once he got to Ole Miss.

Advertisement
martin lawrence GIF

I think this will be Kiffin last year at Ole Miss. Harbaugh vibes back to the pros imo. Alot of these coaches cant deal with CFB new dynamics and rather deal with the NFL. He gets UGA and OU at home, but visits LSU. Its now or never there i think.

More bull**** from a Lane Train fanboy.

"Building the Ole Miss program"? How? With 20 Portal guys EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

We just saw how "13-0" can go to "worst bowl loss ever" as soon as all the Portal guys leave. That's not "building the program".

Once a better school decides to take a gamble on Lane Train, Ole **** will go back to perpetual 7-6 seasons.

And you dopey Lane Train ball-gobblers continue to act as if other Miami fans DO NOT want us to recruit the Portal. But that's not true. Everyone wants Miami to recruit the Portal, but just not as heavily as Colorado and Ole **** and F$U do.

Why is this so complicated for the Mopes and the Lane Train lovers?

Ole Miss arguably just had their best season since desegregation. And I do not think it can be seriously disputed that Kiffin inherited an Ole Miss team that had fallen off (again... as that program often does), and made it a much better program. From 1983 to the present, Ole Miss has 4 seasons of 10+ wins. Kiffin's got 2 of those seasons (in 4 years as HC).

Kiffin is a polarizing figure on this board (in college football, generally, but especially on this board because of his reported interest in the HC job before we hired Mario). And he definitely has his own issues and baggage, and has the reputation of being somewhat of a hopper/job-climber. But he undoubtedly has elevated that program in the last few years.

Kiffin aside, whether a portal-focused strategy can be successful over multiple seasons in college football remains an open and fair question. I suspect expansion to a 12-team playoff will only make the strategy more appealing. In the end, college football is a results-oriented business. And I don't care how my HC acquires talent, so long as he does so at a high level and it results in wins.

Advertisement
Kiffin, Day, Sark, and Riley .

All guys I could see go the nfl route. Recruiting kids 3-4 times, bidding wars, etc is all going to wear on some of these guys who really just want to coach.

What the **** are we talking about about here?

'21 10 wins
'22 8 wins
'23 11 wins

...in the SEC. Poised to make a run at the SEC championship and CFB playoff in '24. Who gives a **** how well, or what volume primarily, he recruits high schoolers? So we're concerned the bottom will fall out? Or what will happen to Ole Miss IF he leaves? Give me these types of problems to deal with...please.

So this makes me or anyone making this COMMON SENSE argument fans of Lane? Or Norvell? Some need to come around to the idea that the tried and true formula may not be the only formula for winning anymore. Sustainable? Time will tell. I'll say this, as embarrassing as FSU's bowl loss was, if I had my 'druthers I'd take 13-1 over 7-6. And if they fall back to 9 wins that's still a ballpark goal we're reaching for in '24.

Mario tore it down to the studs and is building from ground up. Fine. We'll see how it turns out. What other choice do we have? But this ongoing debate/diatribe about ' how to skin a cat', dragging those who have already achieved success is ludicrous.

'21 10 wins
'22 8 wins
'23 11 wins

...in the SEC. Poised to make a run at the SEC championship and CFB playoff in '24. Who gives a **** how well, or what volume primarily, he recruits high schoolers? So we're concerned the bottom will fall out? Or what will happen to Ole Miss IF he leaves? Give me these types of problems to deal with...please.

So this makes me or anyone making this COMMON SENSE argument fans of Lane? Or Norvell? Some need to come around to the idea that the tried and true formula may not be the only formula for winning anymore. Sustainable? Time will tell. I'll say this, as embarrassing as FSU's bowl loss was, if I had my 'druthers I'd take 13-1 over 7-6. And if they fall back to 9 wins that's still a ballpark goal we're reaching for in '24.

Mario tore it down to the studs and is building from ground up. Fine. We'll see how it turns out. What other choice do we have? But this ongoing debate/diatribe about ' how to skin a cat', dragging those who have already achieved success is ludicrous.
Basically if you acknowledge anything other than Mario or Miami you are either on the Lane Train or love Norvell. You can skip the last 7 pages. Also the LG committed to Ole Miss.

Man it is so funny to see people absolutely rattled by anything pro-Lane.

If the bolded occurred…wouldn’t that indicate…the impact he had acquiring elite talent / his coaching abilities?

Obviously he has his own personal issues…banging Co-Eds, party behavior, was never going to be considered for the Alabama job as long as Saban had a say (his daughter might’ve welcomed a reunion though, as well as a booster or two)…

But man, the people that turn purple in the face arguing against his program-building capabilities as an innovative offensive mind is truly a sight to behold.

Lane is loading up in the portal because he has a chance to win something substantial this season, particularly revamping the defensive side of the ball. Can’t blame him with Saban retiring, UGA showing some cracks, Texas and OU coming to town with two very good offenses, UT breaking in a new QB, UF a dumpster fire, A&M rebuilding, LSU losing their star QB, etc. Lot of traditional powerhouses going through some turmoil, and some new faces. We’d be wanting the same thing if teams like Clemson, FSU, NC State, Louisville were all undergoing some change, giving us a chance to strike while the iron is hot.

It’s something that most sensible folks would applaud, not snicker at lol. I for one would rather see him succeed than Bama, UGA, OU, LSU, UF, or any of the other candidates.

You have things reversed.

I have been clear, for years, that Lake Kiffin will NEVER get the job at UM. Yes, he had a few BOT types that liked him, but he'll never get through the background check and HR at UM.

Yet...over and over and over and over again, we get the Lane Train fanboys talking about how Miami woulda/coulda/shoulda hired him. And immediately jumping to his name as a proxy for criticizing Mario.

I never START talking about Lane Train, because I know he's never getting the job. But I do RESPOND TO the Lane Train fanboys who keep acting like he was an option at Miami.

Nobody is getting purple in the face. Lane Train has never "built" a program. Lane Train is not a great traditional recruiter of high school talent, not because he "can't" do it, but because he doesn't put in comparable effort to someone like Mario. Lane Train may sign a lot of Portal guys and he is a pretty good gameday coach. All of those points are beyond dispute.

But the moment that someone makes even a MILD criticism of Lane Train (and I have said both good and bad things about Lane Train for years), you get this overwhelming wave of Lane Train defenders jumping to into conversations to white-knight for Lane Train.

I'll never turn purple in the face talking about Lane Train, because I know this subject will never be relevant to Miami, as he will never be the coach at Miami.

But it is hilarious to see you type this phrase:

arguing against his program-building capabilities as an innovative offensive mind is truly a sight to behold

Nope. No no no no no. Having an "innovative offensive mind" is NOT the same thing as "program-building capabilities". Just like "winning 10 games" is not the same as being a "great recruiter".

Why can't we ever have honest conversations on this board, without people devolving into their agendas and making bogus arguments? It's like we're on the Gator board or something.

Advertisement
Basically if you acknowledge anything other than Mario or Miami you are either on the Lane Train or love Norvell. You can skip the last 7 pages. Also the LG committed to Ole Miss.

You are free to acknowledge your man-crush Lane Train on the Ole Miss boards or Prison Mike on the F$U boards. Constantly doing so on the Miami boards is weak.

On to the backup plan, which I actually favor over this guy.

People forget he was recuriting top 5 classes when he was at USC before he was left on the tarmac. Top class in the conference 2/3 years at FAU, even his one year at Tenn was a top 10 class.

He didn't just forget how to recruit once he got to Ole Miss.

He didn't forget. He just got lazy. More lazy than he's been before.

You have things reversed.

I have been clear, for years, that Lake Kiffin will NEVER get the job at UM. Yes, he had a few BOT types that liked him, but he'll never get through the background check and HR at UM.
Care to expound? Always heard he doesn't appeal to everybody, but I feel like rubbing people off the wrong way and not passing a background check are two different things.

Advertisement
Guy didn’t even listen to his new head coach. U go to Miami to play OL and WR to Ole Miss. DUMMY

'21 10 wins
'22 8 wins
'23 11 wins

I think it stems from one subset of the board saying look at Kiffin’s numbers, he clearly would have been successful here as opposed to what Mario has done. And the other subset arguing he wouldn’t.

Becoming really annoying to see so many threads derail into the same argument.

Advertisement
Ole Miss arguably just had their best season since desegregation. And I do not think it can be seriously disputed that Kiffin inherited an Ole Miss team that had fallen off (again... as that program often does), and made it a much better program. From 1983 to the present, Ole Miss has 4 seasons of 10+ wins. Kiffin's got 2 of those seasons (in 4 years as HC).

Kiffin is a polarizing figure on this board (in college football, generally, but especially on this board because of his reported interest in the HC job before we hired Mario). And he definitely has his own issues and baggage, and has the reputation of being somewhat of a hopper/job-climber. But he undoubtedly has elevated that program in the last few years.

Kiffin aside, whether a portal-focused strategy can be successful over multiple seasons in college football remains an open and fair question. I suspect expansion to a 12-team playoff will only make the strategy more appealing. In the end, college football is a results-oriented business. And I don't care how my HC acquires talent, so long as he does so at a high level and it results in wins.

All valid points.

But I pointed out that over a 3-year period, Lane Train signed 55 high school kids and 56 Portal kids. Mathematically and definitionally, that is not "program building". He fielded a team, yes. He coached them up, absolutely. They won games, indisputably.

But it's all just sand castles on the beach. There is no Ole Miss standard of excellence that can be replicated and sustained when Lane Train leaves. As I said, the "wins" will regress to the mean once he's gone. NOBODY has built Ole Miss, as a program, in decades. Ole Miss people have tossed money around for recruits at multiple points in history, and that's a great short-term solution.

But I'd prefer that Miami get back to the standard of the 1980s and 1990s and 2000s, where Schellenberger won games and JJ won games and Dennis won games and Butch won games and Larry won games (for a while).

Recruit the Portal to fill holes. That's great. But a "Portal-focused strategy" is not what Miami needs. That's like bringing sand to the beach (hey, two "beach" analogies in the same post...).

I think it stems from one subset of the board saying look at Kiffin’s numbers, he clearly would have been successful here as opposed to what Mario has done. And the other subset arguing he wouldn’t.

Becoming really annoying to see so many threads derail into the same argument.

Nobody is arguing that Lane Train wouldn't have had some success.

But he also may have been fired like Gattis.

And he **** sure wouldn't have pulled in as much fund-raising and alum support.

And it is certainly questionable what his impact on recruiting would have been. Perhaps better QBs and lesser OLs and DLs.

I'm capable of acknowledging pros AND cons, whether with Mario or Lane Train or any coach. Not sure why the Lane Train fanboys can't acknowledge his shortcomings.

Never disagreed on his coaching. Was a big fan of his dad's when he was with Tampa Bay. Innovative and well-respected.

Always wondered what Lane Train could have become if he got off of social media and stopped smoking/drinking/chasing after teenagers.

Always wondered what Mario could have become if he got off of bro style coRching and stopped being a boneheaded game day meathead coRch on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back