Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
All valid points.

But I pointed out that over a 3-year period, Lane Train signed 55 high school kids and 56 Portal kids. Mathematically and definitionally, that is not "program building". He fielded a team, yes. He coached them up, absolutely. They won games, indisputably.

But it's all just sand castles on the beach. There is no Ole Miss standard of excellence that can be replicated and sustained when Lane Train leaves. As I said, the "wins" will regress to the mean once he's gone. NOBODY has built Ole Miss, as a program, in decades. Ole Miss people have tossed money around for recruits at multiple points in history, and that's a great short-term solution.

But I'd prefer that Miami get back to the standard of the 1980s and 1990s and 2000s, where Schellenberger won games and JJ won games and Dennis won games and Butch won games and Larry won games (for a while).

Recruit the Portal to fill holes. That's great. But a "Portal-focused strategy" is not what Miami needs. That's like bringing sand to the beach (hey, two "beach" analogies in the same post...).
Ehhhh, program building in general these days only lasts as long as the coach is there. We just saw Saban retire and half the team bounced. You saw that when Mario bounced from Oregon and Lanning hit the portal hard. This isn’t like the old era.

The ultimate goal is to win games. A good base of HS recruiting probably only buys you an extra year of foundation for the next coach. It’s not like back in the day where when a new guy took over, a high majority of the roster remained.

Now an extra year is still valuable, can’t dispute that but it’s not like it’s significantly better. We are in a new era of roster management. At the beginning I generally agreed that HS recruiting is the route to build a more sound program, but I feel like I myself underestimated the impact of the new portal climate(CFB free agency).

Advertisement
More bull**** from a Lane Train fanboy.

"Building the Ole Miss program"? How? With 20 Portal guys EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

We just saw how "13-0" can go to "worst bowl loss ever" as soon as all the Portal guys leave. That's not "building the program".

Once a better school decides to take a gamble on Lane Train, Ole **** will go back to perpetual 7-6 seasons.

And you dopey Lane Train ball-gobblers continue to act as if other Miami fans DO NOT want us to recruit the Portal. But that's not true. Everyone wants Miami to recruit the Portal, but just not as heavily as Colorado and Ole **** and F$U do.

Why is this so complicated for the Mopes and the Lane Train lovers?

People have pulled the Ole Miss records pre-Lane and now with Lane… You choose to ignore them.

HS or Portal, it’s about wins. This isn’t an MLB system with layers of minor leagues. Mario’s 2022 class isn’t going to be here in 2029, **** half of them are already gone…

Carry on.

What is the difference between that and us risking Mauigoa as a true freshman? And please don’t try to use an argument about lt being more important than rt… What is the difference in us risking Rivers moving to OT where he hadnt played for 3yrs here?

it’s always a risk starting a guy for the first time. It is a fact that we are paying him a lot of money and that he has sky high potential. Given the first part, it doesn’t make sense for him to be receiving that much money to ride the bench 2 years. Now that doesn’t mean he should be given the starting job. But what I am saying is if we don’t land a transfer and Okunlola is the 5th best OL he is 100% starting at LT imo and Ricers sliding in to guard. Secondly us getting a portal lg would indicate Okunlola isn’t ready to start. Now maybe if you can say it is injury related we just say it is what it is… but if not what the **** are we paying him for? It’s a waste of money. Either you pay him less to not play or he leaves. That is what the result of us getting a portal guard is.

IMO we shouldn’t add a portal OL until after spring. Rivers is our starter. Whoever our 5th guy is will dictate which position Rivers plays. If it were a transfer Lg Rivers is playing Lt. if it were Kinsler or McCoy at Lg rivers is playing Lt, if it’s Onkunlola he is playing LT and Rivers is playing LG.
Mauigoa was a better player than Samson. Thats why. He played at IMG and went against other big time guys daily. He was ready to go from he moved in.

I think your missing the part of Okunlola NOT being one oft he top 5 and no one is gonna shuffle anything to appease that because he was a highly rated recruit. He's on campus now and is just a regular player on the team no matter how much he is supposedly paid.

Okunlola is a tackle us recruiting interior ol have no bearing on him.

What the **** are we talking about about here?

'21 10 wins
'22 8 wins
'23 11 wins

...in the SEC. Poised to make a run at the SEC championship and CFB playoff in '24. Who gives a **** how well, or what volume primarily, he recruits high schoolers? So we're concerned the bottom will fall out? Or what will happen to Ole Miss IF he leaves? Give me these types of problems to deal with...please.

So this makes me or anyone making this COMMON SENSE argument fans of Lane? Or Norvell? Some need to come around to the idea that the tried and true formula may not be the only formula for winning anymore. Sustainable? Time will tell. I'll say this, as embarrassing as FSU's bowl loss was, if I had my 'druthers I'd take 13-1 over 7-6. And if they fall back to 9 wins that's still a ballpark goal we're reaching for in '24.

Mario tore it down to the studs and is building from ground up. Fine. We'll see how it turns out. What other choice do we have? But this ongoing debate/diatribe about ' how to skin a cat', dragging those who have already achieved success is ludicrous.
been saying this above for over a year.

Advertisement
Are we really gonna lose our sht cause Kiffin got a transfer oline dude?
Tell Me we are depleted at the position and we went full prime 112 with 2 hall of famers and we lost.
Not saying the dude isn’t good. But if he was “that dude” our coaches would go full court press. Not gonna get into a bidding war with ole **** for a dude that in the coaches eyes might not be worth the price. Especially considering the dudes we have at the position.
Of course you stack chips but it’s not gona make or break our season imo if he goes to ole ****.
He's an ok guard, that's it. He didn't even make Honorable Mention in the PAC 12.

What the **** are we talking about about here?

'21 10 wins
'22 8 wins
'23 11 wins

...in the SEC. Poised to make a run at the SEC championship and CFB playoff in '24. Who gives a **** how well, or what volume primarily, he recruits high schoolers? So we're concerned the bottom will fall out? Or what will happen to Ole Miss IF he leaves? Give me these types of problems to deal with...please.

So this makes me or anyone making this COMMON SENSE argument fans of Lane? Or Norvell? Some need to come around to the idea that the tried and true formula may not be the only formula for winning anymore. Sustainable? Time will tell. I'll say this, as embarrassing as FSU's bowl loss was, if I had my 'druthers I'd take 13-1 over 7-6. And if they fall back to 9 wins that's still a ballpark goal we're reaching for in '24.

Mario tore it down to the studs and is building from ground up. Fine. We'll see how it turns out. What other choice do we have? But this ongoing debate/diatribe about ' how to skin a cat', dragging those who have already achieved success is ludicrous.
Well half yall are arguing about wins and losses somehow being a better indicator of recruiting success, then saying a guy landing all his portal targets is better proof of his abilities as a recruiter, and one is saying that for a guy to be considered a great recruiter, he should actually have good recruiting classes lol. Seems like a simple argument to me.
I’d say Average HS recruiter, Good to great portal Recruiter, averages out to an above average to good recruiter. Recruiting HS is more important. Having to rely on the portal for 10 players yearly isn’t a good strategy from a “great recruiter”.

Mauigoa was a better player than Samson. Thats why. He played at IMG and went against other big time guys daily. He was ready to go from he moved in.

I think your missing the part of Okunlola NOT being one oft he top 5 and no one is gonna shuffle anything to appease that because he was a highly rated recruit. He's on campus now and is just a regular player on the team no matter how much he is supposedly paid.

No matter how much he is paid? Uh we aren’t in an endless nil situation. Aren’t you one of the guys that complains about us being cheap? lol. I know you did regarding WR.

Either he is good enough to start and earn his money or he isn’t, and he should either get a pay cut or leave, like I said.

Next offseason you’re going to be using the exact same reasoning for why we need to target a top portal Lt, saying cause Samson isn’t ready hasn’t proven anything, etc. at some point a guy makes his first start. The question is will Samson be that guy or will he be a complete waste of money that can be better spent elsewhere

No matter how much he is paid? Uh we aren’t in an endless nil situation. Aren’t you one of the guys that complains about us being cheap? lol. I know you did regarding WR.

Either he is good enough to start and earn his money or he isn’t, and he should either get a pay cut or leave, like I said.

Next offseason you’re going to be using the exact same reasoning for why we need to target a top portal Lt, saying cause Samson isn’t ready hasn’t proven anything, etc. at some point a guy makes his first start. The question is will Samson be that guy or will he be a complete waste of money that can be better spent elsewhere
umm no it isnt a video game...its real life lol.

Next year i wont be doing sh*t. If he is second string on the chart at LT next year he would be primed to start in 25.

Man said he should get a pay cut or leave man yall got alot going on.

There is a reason your getting ratio'd on this post about it and look to be one of the only ones of this thought process.

Yea lets just start this kid and move an entrenched starter because you know NIL. It aint happening.

He has to earn his starting job and based off of last year he didnt...whats next hes going to be wr#1 cause you know he was a 5 star.

I'm 100 percent sure there are stipulations in guys NIL and if they are high on him like i believe they are dude will likely be a 3 year starter here. He didnt just come here for NIL, dude came here to get developed. If he is transferring out in year 3 its because the talent of the room has been raised and he has been beaten out.

His battle will be with Bell, Mccoy...Rivers is far out on those guys with one more szn and nfl on the brink. Injuries happen Samson will play if healthy this year..you killin me with all the extras though.

Advertisement
pox on both your houses lane slurpers and mopers

Get a room (check out “OnTopic Hotels & Threads” 4 ⭐️ I hear it’s nice).

Seriously I going give af if we have 85 recruits or 85 portal guys if we have confetti from a national championship falling

Last edited:
Well half yall are arguing about wins and losses somehow being a better indicator of recruiting success, then saying a guy landing all his portal targets is better proof of his abilities as a recruiter, and one is saying that for a guy to be considered a great recruiter, he should actually have good recruiting classes lol. Seems like a simple argument to me.
I’d say Average HS recruiter, Good to great portal Recruiter, averages out to an above average to good recruiter. Recruiting HS is more important. Having to rely on the portal for 10 players yearly isn’t a good strategy from a “great recruiter”.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

We took 17 last year and 10 this year so far

Let's lock this **** up. Dude is at Ole Miss. Absolutely nothing to see here.

Advertisement

Facts FM to me was the better prospect by a good margin

Advertisement
He just signed his second extension a month ago. Not sure that math is mathing.
Means nothing these days, he’s one that is always looking for the next move. If he doesn’t win in 24 with the $ they are spending, rebels coming for his head. He won’t survive it.

been saying this above for over a year.
The slurpers gotta move the goalposts to justify Mario’s corching.

So now winning isn’t the most important thing, it’s “how you build your roster”, even though there are various examples of several teams going portal heavy in the last few years and striking gold.

The new narrative is that only through HS recruiting can teams build a consistent winning program, which is ludicrous. The Holes and Ole Miss are a great example of this, as was Washington under DeBoer.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:
They’re definitely not firing him. Insane to suggest.
Asinine lol.

He’s 34-15 there and if you peeped their schedule, it’s very possible they’re 6-0 heading into Baton Rouge.

He has two double-digit winning seasons in four years. They catch OU and UGA at home, toughest road games are LSU, Arkansas? UF? SCar?

It’s a very fortuitous schedule as far as SEC ones go. 9-3 should be the floor for them with 10-2 the expectation (just like us).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back