Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
In fairness, there’s atleast 3 HS (I’d argue more) in this class that we should have not taken because at best they’re going to take a few years to develop when we could have used those spots to address more pressing needs that would directly impact this upcoming season.

If we did that then maybe we wouldn’t have threads arguing “what’s more important a dominant safety or a lockdown corner” as we could have addressed both during the most chaotic time of the offseason. Could’ve even thrown in a top WR too. Instead when a top dude became available we said we had no room and then hoped similar caliber players become available in the second less chaotic transfer window.
Also factor in another signing day in February. Also factor in coaching changes that still may come this week. Also factor in not having to trim 10-20 players after spring practice.

In fairness, there’s atleast 3 HS (I’d argue more) in this class that we should have not taken because at best they’re going to take a few years to develop when we could have used those spots to address more pressing needs that would directly impact this upcoming season.

If we did that then maybe we wouldn’t have threads arguing “what’s more important a dominant safety or a lockdown corner” as we could have addressed both during the most chaotic time of the offseason. Could’ve even thrown in a top WR too. Instead when a top dude became available we said we had no room and then hoped similar caliber players become available in the second less chaotic transfer window.
That is a fair assessment. I would counter by saying we had 3 of the top 10 WR by production in the ACC through 4 games. Obviously the QB/OC/HC play struggled after that. I think the hope is that we already have enough guys at WR as evidenced by those first couple games. We just need better execution from all the decision makers. I hated seeing Colby leave to Georgia. As far as safety and CB I’m excited to see how our guys will do this year. There will probably be less free lancing back there.

You do make good points though.

I keep hearing this but I have one question for you and don't go looking it up.

The RB for Rutgers that ran all over us. There is only one team he ran over even worse than us and that team had all their starters on D for that game against him. What team was it? I'll give you a hint they were a top 3 team for most of the year.

Also we were missing half of our D for that bowl game and played with a QB who can barely complete a pass.
Osu

Advertisement
I mean, one game was played on a Wednesday afternoon, in a baseball stadium, with 47 people watching, and the other was the Orange Bowl... so, yeah.
They were 21 point dogs. They shouldn't have lost by 60 but they were going to get drilled. FSU had a good team last year. Give credit where credit is due.

We aren’t in plug and play mode yet
Absolutely. Rutgers had an NFL CB opt out of bowl game. That was it. One player. They were basically whole, and super motivated. They were playing basically a home game against name brand they had never beaten. We were a shell of our team. Half the starters quit after BC game.

Rutgers played a very tough schedule, and they were pretty competitive. They had a top 15-20 defense, and a good RB.

We were without:

TVD
Fletcher got hurt on 2nd play
Chaney
Smith
Colbie
Cohen
Lee

Taylor
Kam
James
Harvey
Chantz
Harris-injured?
Mesidor-injured
Kelly-injured

We literally had NO backup DE's for the game.

We started 2 true freshman DE's, and I think Bain played every snap.

Wayne would go to sideline we would go to a 3 man front we had no backups.

We started 2 small slot CB's at safety.

We started a QB that had not taken a snap in a game all season. We still only lost by a TD with Jacurri throwing a terrible INT, and having a blocked punt in the end zone.

when game was announced we were favored, when all the transfer and opt outs hit, Rutgers became the favorite. There was a reason for that.

The lineup we rolled out in the bowl game would have been a 3-9 type team.

Im confused, so this is an acceptable excuse for us but not FSPOO?
A loss is never acceptable... poo also lost to a far better team and now have the biggest loss in the history of bowl games period that is on their ***. The only issue in this outlook is simply where both teams are at when it relates to their outlooks. We just came off a 5-7 record and flipped a good chunk of the roster. Had little depth and we didn't have some tremendous outlook on our season. That's anyone realistic. Poo came into the season in year #5 of Norvell touting a playoff run capable TEAM. They lived up to that hype when it relates to their record no matter how many games they struggled through off the backs of all of their transfer additions. That bowl game (and the games without travis) proved regardless of the caliber of opponent that they weren't much without those portal additions that did hit.

Advertisement

There are 5 stars in this class that we shouldn't have taken because they won't pan out either. Too many assumptions are made about guys. As for pressing needs, we are still recruiting kids today to address those pressing needs. Some guys we go after are interested and some guys aren't. People just assume that everyone wants to come here for X amount of money. There has to be interest from both sides and there are other teams competing for the same players. If it was as easy as writing a check, I'm sure it would be done.

Absolutely. Rutgers had an NFL CB opt out of bowl game. That was it. One player. They were basically whole, and super motivated. They were playing basically a home game against name brand they had never beaten. We were a shell of our team. Half the starters quit after BC game.

Rutgers played a very tough schedule, and they were pretty competitive. They had a top 15-20 defense, and a good RB.

We were without:

TVD
Chaney
Smith
Colbie
Cohen
Lee

Taylor
Kam
James
Harvey
Chantz
Harris-injured?
Mesidor-injured
Kelly-injured

We started a QB that had not taken a snap in a game all season. We still only lost by a TD with Jacurri throwing a terrible INT, and having a blocked punt in the end zone.

when game was announced we were favored, when all the transfer and opt outs hit, Rutgers became the favorite. There was a reason for that.

When u have someone 5’5 starting at safety bruh u know it’s bad. I don’t get how any of this had to be explained. I went into that like it’s an exhibition and we aren’t even fielding a team. But people want to view it as a Super Bowl, I would give up explaining something like this to anyone it’s pointless. You just read what they say smirk and move along. No need to explain bruh that’s why I said what I say way before that game, if I had to sit there and explain it I would lose my mind that no one understood it.

That is a fair assessment. I would counter by saying we had 3 of the top 10 WR by production in the ACC through 4 games. Obviously the QB/OC/HC play struggled after that. I think the hope is that we already have enough guys at WR as evidenced by those first couple games. We just need better execution from all the decision makers. I hated seeing Colby leave to Georgia. As far as safety and CB I’m excited to see how our guys will do this year. There will probably be less free lancing back there.

You do make good points though.
We all share that hope, including the staff who btw still hopes to improve DB, CB, WR and even IOL (maybe today) but barring some huge surprise it will just have to be addressed in the spring portal window.

Advertisement

We were without:

TVD
Chaney
Smith
Colbie
Cohen
Lee

Taylor
Kam
James
Harvey
Chantz
Harris-injured?
Mesidor-injured
Kelly-injured

Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

Advertisement
I mean, one game was played on a Wednesday afternoon, in a baseball stadium, with 47 people watching, and the other was the Orange Bowl... so, yeah.
If it isn’t a playoff game they’re all irrelevant to the players. We both had our top guys sit out for the same reason which was mostly preparing for the draft.

We were without:

TVD
Chaney
Smith
Colbie
Cohen
Lee

Taylor
Kam
James
Harvey
Chantz
Harris-injured?
Mesidor-injured
Kelly-injured

And Luis Cristobal started the 1st half and was blown up just about every play. That was on the HC...

Starting QB
Starting TE
Starting C
Starting DT (at least 1)
Starting DE
Starting CB (at least 1)
Starting LB
Starting S (at least 1)

Still pursuing
Starting LG
Starting WR

It appears our HC disagrees about building a team through the portal. Yall go ahead and keep fighting over fsu though lmao.

A loss is never acceptable... poo also lost to a far better team and now have the biggest loss in the history of bowl games period that is on their ***. The only issue in this outlook is simply where both teams are at when it relates to their outlooks. We just came off a 5-7 record and flipped a good chunk of the roster. Had little depth and we didn't have some tremendous outlook on our season. That's anyone realistic. Poo came into the season in year #5 of Norvell touting a playoff run capable TEAM. They lived up to that hype when it relates to their record no matter how many games they struggled threw off the backs of all of their transfer additions. That bowl game (and the games without travis) proved regardless of the caliber of opponent that they weren't much without those portal additions that did hit.
I agree on our outlook going forward and I much rather be in the position we are in now but I was responding to a post that was strictly comparing our bowl performance. Whether we relied heavy on HS recruiting or the portal both of our performances sucked, the difference was they faced a far better opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back