Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Ole Miss is has a much higher floor than us next year. Ward lifts our ceiling to be equal to theirs but Ole Miss is expected to be a top 10 team next year.
Ha maybe true. But didn’t lane say you play for certain coaches if you want to get to the league at certain positions and gave Mario as an example if you are an OL?

Last edited:
I believe there was a rule change but maybe instead of continuing to guess I should summon the NCAA encyclopedia @TheOriginalCane for clarity

To clarify, I believe that @Brooklyndee is correct.

However, a lot of people have been misstating the numbers.

First, this is not an "IC" (initial counter) issue, this is just "counters".

Second, the recruits (HS, JuCo, and Portal) coming in May/June or August do NOT yet count. It is my understanding that you can take summer classes without "counting" against the Spring number of 85 athletic scholarships OR the Fall number of 85 athletic scholarships.

Third, there is an "mid-year graduate replacement exception" for those who graduate in December. They may move on to graduate work, but can be "replaced". Now, whether someone would ONLY go into grad school for one semester is suspect, so you'd think if they are moving on, they would not enroll. Gonna have to think about that one. It made a lot more sense under the "IC" rules, not as much sense under the "regular counter" rules.

Finally, I am quite certain that Mario knows who is leaving in May, whether it is the choice of that individual or not.

In short, we can ONLY offer 85 scholarships in the Fall...AND the SPRING. People have been fixating on getting our "roster" down to "85" by "fall camp", but that is not how it works.

You can give out half-year athletic scholarships (and in the past, we have sometimes rewarded walk-ons with "spring semester scholarships"). Thus, any "January enrollments" must either replace (a) a graduate, (b) a Portal-out, or (c) an NFL draft entry. We can't have 90 guys on ATHLETIC scholarships in the spring, regardless of what anyone thinks our "roster" size is.

As we have noted before, walk-ons and PWOs do not count if they are not on scholarship. I would imagine that we have taken into account any "medical retirements" as well (Zion?). I defer to @Brooklyndee 's knowledge on certain individuals and how they are being handled if they have graduated, are entering the draft, or are retiring from playing.

I trust Dee if he says we are at 84 currently. I had a recent conversation with someone, and I expressed my thought that any JuCo targets of ours will probably enroll in May, for both individual reasons (trying to graduate JuCo) and Miami reasons (we may not have the room to enroll them in January).

At the end of the day, a lot of guys spend a lot of time obsessing on something that is going to work out in 3 days anyhow. We are not going to lose some major blue-chipper because of roster management.

Think about "how long ago" it was when we told Kendall Jackson we didn't have room for him in January. We've taken a lot of guys since then.

It will all work out.

Advertisement

Second, the recruits (HS, JuCo, and Portal) coming in May/June or August do NOT yet count. It is my understanding that you can take summer classes without "counting" against the Spring number of 85 athletic scholarships OR the Fall number of 85 athletic scholarships.

Third, there is an "mid-year graduate replacement exception" for those who graduate in December. They may move on to graduate work, but can be "replaced". Now, whether someone would ONLY go into grad school for one semester is suspect, so you'd think if they are moving on, they would not enroll. Gonna have to think about that one. It made a lot more sense under the "IC" rules, not as much sense under the "regular counter" rules.

Finally, I am quite certain that Mario knows who is leaving in May, whether it is the choice of that individual or not.

In short, we can ONLY offer 85 scholarships in the Fall...AND the SPRING. People have been fixating on getting our "roster" down to "85" by "fall camp", but that is not how it works.

You can give out half-year athletic scholarships (and in the past, we have sometimes rewarded walk-ons with "spring semester scholarships"). Thus, any "January enrollments" must either replace (a) a graduate, (b) a Portal-out, or (c) an NFL draft entry. We can't have 90 guys on ATHLETIC scholarships in the spring, regardless of what anyone thinks our "roster" size is.

As we have noted before, walk-ons and PWOs do not count if they are not on scholarship. I would imagine that we have taken into account any "medical retirements" as well (Zion?). I defer to @Brooklyndee 's knowledge on certain individuals and how they are being handled if they have graduated, are entering the draft, or are retiring from playing.

I trust Dee if he says we are at 84 currently. I had a recent conversation with someone, and I expressed my thought that any JuCo targets of ours will probably enroll in May, for both individual reasons (trying to graduate JuCo) and Miami reasons (we may not have the room to enroll them in January).

At the end of the day, a lot of guys spend a lot of time obsessing on something that is going to work out in 3 days anyhow. We are not going to lose some major blue-chipper because of roster management.

Think about "how long ago" it was when we told Kendall Jackson we didn't have room for him in January. We've taken a lot of guys since then.

It will all work out.
Synopsis?

You feel better about the numbers at corner?
The numbers worry me yes. But that's why I say I could see that factoring in more mid-season. Safety play is a key factor in any defense from day 1 & safeties have an effect on 92% of plays overall on defense. Opposed to a corner only matters on run plays in seldom instances or when their zone or reciever is targeted. Besides, I don't think we'll have issues getting to the qb which is the most important thing for a corner. My concern with the line all relates to stopping the run & collapsing the pocket.

It will all work out.
By my tracker we are at 91, but minus the 10 non-EEs I think who don't come until summer we'd be at 81. So if we are at 84, that'd be 3 more than I have. 2 of those 3 could be like Chantz Williams and Cyrus Moss who are in portal but not committed. I also am not counting Redding or Denis, but they may be on scholarship too still idk. So yeah I think Dees number makes sense too. It'll all change during/after spring.

Advertisement
The numbers worry me yes. But that's why I say I could see that factoring in more mid-season. Safety play is a key factor in any defense from day 1 & safeties have an effect on 92% of plays overall on defense. Opposed to a corner only matters on run plays in seldom instances or when their zone or reciever is targeted. Besides, I don't think we'll have issues getting to the qb which is the most important thing for a corner. My concern with the line all relates to stopping the run & collapsing the pocket.
I agree with your point for sure.

To me I just feel we will be at least okay at safety. I don't think we're going to have anything special or great. But I think we will have solid consistent play. Sure thats not what we want long term but I can see it actually being better for the defense as a whole over LAST YR from what we got out of dBs last year. Now maybe Improved LB play could really elevate this over last year, because we wouldn't be asking as much out of our safeties... But I won't be surprised if individually we are just average, but as a Defense we're improved. Plus I'd say even if a guy goes down at safety I feel like we have decent depth to have next man up and still have similar production.
What worries me about CB is if 1 guys goes down we could be in very bad shape. We are really relying on those guys developing, I don't expect the freshman to be able to make any impact here in 24. I also would really feel more comfortable with Damari or Porter being able to slid inside in nickel packages depending if we want the physical presence damari would bring or the more pure cover ability of porter. But I do agree with your main point here that basically Damari+Richard does seem to be a possible major immediate upgrade over Davis+Couch that we were starting all year.

"You're a ****".

We coo?
Will Smith Television GIF

Advertisement
I agree with your point for sure.

To me I just feel we will be at least okay at safety. I don't think we're going to have anything special or great. But I think we will have solid consistent play. Sure thats not what we want long term but I can see it actually being better for the defense as a whole over LAST YR from what we got out of dBs last year. Now maybe Improved LB play could really elevate this over last year, because we wouldn't be asking as much out of our safeties... But I won't be surprised if individually we are just average, but as a Defense we're improved. Plus I'd say even if a guy goes down at safety I feel like we have decent depth to have next man up and still have similar production.
What worries me about CB is if 1 guys goes down we could be in very bad shape. We are really relying on those guys developing, I don't expect the freshman to be able to make any impact here in 24. I also would really feel more comfortable with Damari or Porter being able to slid inside in nickel packages depending if we want the physical presence damari would bring or the more pure cover ability of porter. But I do agree with your main point here that basically Damari+Richard does seem to be a possible major immediate upgrade over Davis+Couch that we were starting all year.
The one thing that makes me feel good overall about safety is that for the first time in a long time we'll actually have people playing the position that aren't simply system fits from previous regimes. These will be safeties being asked to play exactly what they played to get to this point. I feel like we have some potentially good to great options back there. But to do something in theory opposed to in the flesh is night and day. Just gotta see it. Half the reason we took Richard last year and Riley and Muhammad this year is because they're options at corner as well as safety. That may be necessary this season.

These dudes are something else ain't they... I'm really hoping most of these people on here weren't alive the last time we were actually good. It's the only way I can continue to excuse the takes you read on here. I'd say we probably have 1 maybe two losses next year. My biggest concern is dline & safety. We need the youngsters on the dline to contribute day 1 to make things a lil easier on the back end and them getting comfortable with some action. Otherwise those two things concern me. It's really the only concerns I have for next season. I don't think we're really tested too often next season.

Respect and yes, the schedule is garbage.

Still, we're off season champs for the last 20 years on counting wins for the upcoming season. Then the season rolls along and those wins people predicted blow up in their faces.

So if people are skeptical, then that's their right. It's been the case with every hire we've had and Mario hasn't lived up to the bill either when it matters, come game day. Our past being good has zero to do with it, it's our past sucking that creates doubt.

About this player, no clue where he'll go. He comes here, great.

It will all work out.

Found this on Football Scoop

IMG_0406.jpeg

Advertisement
He showed well at LT last year so you keep him there unless injury elsewhere forces the change
I'd 100% have Samson at LT and Jalen Rivers at LG. If we didn't get the transfer Center, I'd have Rivers at Center, Samson at LT, and next man up at LG.
We want Samson to step up and earn that LT spot, cause he'd be our guy there for 2 seasons. And I'd assume we are paying him an Francis the most. You want them at the important positions. Top OTs and a smart athletic Center are how you have an elite OLine.

It will all work out.
Got it, thanks for the reply. So to Dee’s point while adding this guy would help there’s more pressing needs at other positions and that last spot is to important give up atleast until after the semester when other spots may open up. Presumably more than the amount of HS recruits coming in that didn’t enroll early in spring.

Corner is nowhere near as big of an issue as safety right now. By mid season that might be accurate depending how quick zaquan integrates into the defense without being a liability or possibly markieth or the Oklahoma commit from last season. Both will be helped tremendously by a solid dline.
Yes it is.

The current CB group has very little experience, average speed as a collective & not a single one of them has any aspect of coverage that they excel in.

Plus whoever is responsible for teaching them the fundamentals of the position has done a poor job with getting them to understand how to defend against the Deep ball & opening up too early against in-breaking routes.

CB last year was below average against teams with a legitimate passing attack, the only time they looked decent was against teams that had sh*tty QB's who couldn't hit the Ocean standing at the edge of a Beach.

The CB group at Miami is not up to par on a championship level. There isn't a single playoff contending team that would trade their group for ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back