Wanting Golden gone vs wanting to win

nbrewer22

Sophomore
I know a majority of the folks on here want Golden gone as of yesterday, but here is my question. Will you be rooting for us to tank the season and have him fired or will you be rooting for the canes to win the ACCCG/make the playoffs (until those hopes are dashed)?

Advertisement
All aboard the stank tank.

I figure thats the popular opinion, but its hard for me because I can't find it in myself to want Miami to lose. No matter what happens I always find myself sitting on the couch rooting for the canes, I guess I don't know any better.

One of the worst things that could happen is we go 8-4, Folden cites drastic improvement despite losing a number of players to the NFL, and the admin slurps up his corch talk and grants him more time.

Advertisement
I don't think Golden is the answer at all. I don't think he has the skills and intangibles that successful HC's have. I think his apprehension about making staff changes to get the culture and player development back on track is a major weakness. I feel that he needs to be gone ASAP and replaced with someone who is ready to take the job and live up to the standards set by the past teams for what today's Miami Hurricanes should be.

Now, do I "hate" the man? No, not personally. The Canes, particularly the football team, are MY team and have been since I was a kid. However, I will not personally wish physical harm on him or his family due to my frustrations and major issues with his shortcomings as the Canes HC.

Do my thoughts on Golden's lack of skill as a HC and his record with the Canes cause great frustration and severe anger? Yes, unequivocally. Does that frustration/anger cause me to root against the Canes actively? No...I simply can't do that. I always want the Canes to win, whether it's a title game or preseason tiddlywinks.

There are lots of shades of gray in there as far as where the range of emotions run for each of us.

I want us to win big. Golden is clearly not the coach to do that.

I'll be pulling for wins, but it ain't gonna happen.

Advertisement
The only thing I care about with this program is getting rid of Folden as soon as possible.

I want us to win big. Golden is clearly not the coach to do that.

I'll be pulling for wins, but it ain't gonna happen.

To me there is no gray area anymore. Two years ago I would have been satisfied with 9 wins. Now, either we win 4-5 games or we win 10 games AND get a BCS at large berth. No more in between. That's the only way we can roll. As one poster said, winning 8-9 games will only allow Golden and his crew to throw more dirt in our faces.

"We won 8 games this year! That's big time progress! Trending upward! The fans need to understand the reality of the situation. We still don't have depth at key positions. We lost 10 guys to the NFL. We lost our best player on offense and defense. This is a big step in the right direction for the program. These kids are learning how to win for the first time. They are competing in every game. I am happy with the results."

Golden has a ceiling, and it is a low ceiling.

Usually, a decent coach is either a) a solid gameday coach or b) a solid recruiter. The elite coaches are both. In regards to Golden, I can't think of a time where we've had a coaching advantage come gameday. Instead, we are always at severe disadvantage. And he has been mediocre at best on the recruiting trail.

Combine all of that with his unrivaled arrogance and you have a disaster. He refuses to change or adjust his style of coaching.

Now, the reason why I go as far as to "hate" him as a person stems from his treatment of players more than anything else. He constantly blames them, plays ridiculous mind games, has no respect for the players, and, quite frankly, destroys or severely hinders kids' careers. The lucky ones that do make it into the NFL are consistently undervalued (Look at Hurns, Linder, Henderson, Armstrong, etc.). That costs them money. And everything I have been told from highschool coaches and current and former players is that Golden is simply not a good person.

Miami isn't his school. His place here is temporary and he spits in the face of the tradition, the alumni, former players, and the fans with his attitude and approach, his blatant attempts to leave, and his used car salesmen's runaround.

I wish him nothing but all the bad things in this world.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I want us to lose every game next year. This administration from the top down is fvckin worthless.
They need to be embarrassed and abused in the media.

Ya you feel bad for the kids but wtf is the difference between 6-6 and 2-10 at that point? They've quit on Golden for much less.

I never root against my Canes ,I'm rooting against Al Golden, him and his jersey fruit loop **** need to get away from Our Canes ASAP!! His bs has worn thin especially with the players!
I see an FIU/ LSU type brawl at the end of this season sending him to Coker/shannonville!!!
5-7 gonna make them boys snap at the sight of another zone D

Advertisement
Golden has a ceiling, and it is a low ceiling.

Usually, a decent coach is either a) a solid gameday coach or b) a solid recruiter. The elite coaches are both. In regards to Golden, I can't think of a time where we've had a coaching advantage come gameday. Instead, we are always at severe disadvantage. And he has been mediocre at best on the recruiting trail.

Combine all of that with his unrivaled arrogance and you have a disaster. He refuses to change or adjust his style of coaching.

Now, the reason why I go as far as to "hate" him as a person stems from his treatment of players more than anything else. He constantly blames them, plays ridiculous mind games, has no respect for the players, and, quite frankly, destroys or severely hinders kids' careers. The lucky ones that do make it into the NFL are consistently undervalued (Look at Hurns, Linder, Henderson, Armstrong, etc.). That costs them money. And everything I have been told from highschool coaches and current and former players is that Golden is simply not a good person.

Miami isn't his school. His place here is temporary and he spits in the face of the tradition, the alumni, former players, and the fans with his attitude and approach, his blatant attempts to leave, and his used car salesmen's runaround.

I wish him nothing but all the bad things in this world.

Golden's ceiling is a floor in a one-story house.

I want us to lose every game next year. This administration from the top down is fvckin worthless.
They need to be embarrassed and abused in the media.

Ya you feel bad for the kids but wtf is the difference between 6-6 and 2-10 at that point? They've quit on Golden for much less.

I'd prefer this. Maybe he's fired mid season? I hope FAU beats Golden. I'm not gonna view it as pulling against miami. This is pulling against Golden and Admin. As far as ayers go. I'm sorry it has to be this way and hope they all succeed after next season. But this Admin, like Somali terrorists, have put the players in harms way.

I can only play my role as a fan and root for my favorite team to win. Everything else is beyond my control. The Miami Hurricanes is bigger than just one person. Although i'm EXTREMELY unhappy with Goldens results, I have to root for him to win because he's the coach of the Miami Hurricanes . If he's unsuccessful like expected, what should happen will happen anyway. #THEU

Anyone who hopes for wins next year is doing so purely out of selfish motives. Because THEY want to feel good while watching games. It's not about the kids. As MIA said, there is little difference between 6 wins and 2 wins. We have virtually no shot at winning 10 games, so rooting for wins is absolutely futile and does more to impede getting out of this mess.

The only way you root for wins at this point is if you think Golden still can be the guy. I truly feel sorry for you if you believe that.

Advertisement
Back