Walton's draft stock

DreCooL

Redshirt Freshman
So I was on twitter having a discussion with a Gayturd fan and a Texas fan over the draft stock of Mark Walton, and I would like to pose a question; where would Walton land in this years NFL draft?

We all know of his current situation and to think that he wouldn't leave this year would be idiotic. Personally myself, I can see Walton going in rounds 2-3. Only way I see him sneak himself into the late 1st is if he proves that he has improved his speed. He just doesn't have that next level burst that someone like Dalvin Cook had coming out last year. Him dropping to 3 or 4 with HORRIBLE testing times. Thoughts?

Advertisement
no freaking way is he taken in the 1st 3 rounds. rbs are a dime a dozen in the nfl and only elite rbs go in the 1st. and it all depends, IF he comes out, how he does in front of the scouts leading up to the draft to show he's 100% healed.

i'd have him in the 5th.

imo, he should come back and show he's 100%. he's young (entered college a year early and never rs).

Advertisement
He has no film against elite competition. I know he is likely not coming back but when scouts go digging into his stats and see he never really had an 100 yard game against a power 5 school they will really question him.... as they should

Advertisement
5-6 rounder maybe 7 rounder. The talent and work ethic is there and Walton is a GREAT pass blocker and catcher out of the backfield but when these team start popping in tape vs ND, VT, FSU, and GT they're not gonna see 1-4 round prospect talent. Then you add he doesn't have that top end speed and is coming off a foot injury on both feet. He'll go 5-6 round. Think I'm full of ****? Against ND, FSU, VT, and GT Mark Walton has never rushed for more then 50 yards.. not 100. FIVE ZERO.

Eh, probably 6th or 7th round. He's small, not blazing fast, and coming off an injury.

I think his skillset is unique, his biggest knock IMO is his vision. He constantly misses lanes, just isn't a great inside runner. However his biggest strength is his catching ability and balance which will make him deadly in passing attacks. 4th

Advertisement
I would guess the 4th. He doesn't have enough against quality competition and he isn't going to test fast enough to go higher. He did look faster and far better than I've seen him this year though, so maybe that's the sell for a 3rd round grade. He would have to be healthy and test great, not sure there's enough time for that. I didn't see him as an NFL running back prior to this year.

Advertisement
10+ RBs from non-P5 schools, some from FCS schools were drafted in 2017.

NFL Draft 2017 Picks by Position - ESPN Draftcast

I guess these 10+ teams didn't care what these guys did against P5 schools.

Overall, 20+ RBs were drafted. If Walton declares like a lot of us expect him to do, he'll get drafted.

I would guess that most of those non P5 backs didn't have much tape against P5 opponents.

Walton does, and it's not terribly impressive.

He was around the fifth round...solid all around back like gore but lacks his size and has a ton of wear and tear, comparable to gore but doesn’t have his athleticism and vision. He should come back to get into that convo again because of his injury...he’s probably a 7th rounder to priority free agent right now because of it.

Per usual, comparison have nothing to do with talent, it’s just to give somebody a idea of what they can bring to your team

Last edited:
We've hammered this topic a lot since his injury.

Reality is, that in terms of this decision, it doesn't really matter where he projects in the Draft, what matters is does he improve in any significant way by returning to school?

If he gets a 4th or 5th round grade, he should go pro. I love Walton, but I don't see his stock improving to a round 1 to 3 player with another year in college. Heisman watch list RBs regularly fall well into rounds 2 and 3.

If he gets a round 6 through UFA grade, it might be worth the risk to come back for another season because he could improve his stock in a meaningful way.

Those late round grades are RB purgatory. Teams won't have enough invested in you because if they are picking you that late, they probably have at least 2 to 4 other RBs in the mix they like equally if not a little better.

He was around the fifth round...solid all around back like gore but lacks his size and has a ton of wear and tear compared to gore. He should come back to get into that convo again because of his injury...he’s probably a 7th rounder to priority free garnet right now because of it.

Lol What?

Gore is the most naturally talented back to play at Miami. He has had far worse injuries than Walton. ACL tears in both knees.

He also just passed Eric ****erson on the All Time Rushing List

Advertisement
Back