Walton's draft stock

I can't understand him leaving. Think it would be a HUGE mistake.

I don't know dude. Homer's been proving his worth. If he comes back and loses/splits time with Homer next year his stock is going to drop like Yearby's did.

Advertisement
Walton has a kid, right? Maybe he feels the need to support his family and it's worth the risk declaring early.

He was around the fifth round...solid all around back like gore but lacks his size and has a ton of wear and tear compared to gore. He should come back to get into that convo again because of his injury...he’s probably a 7th rounder to priority free garnet right now because of it.

Lol What?

Gore is the most naturally talented back to play at Miami. He has had far worse injuries than Walton. ACL tears in both knees.

He also just passed Eric ****erson on the All Time Rushing List

Gore had an ACL before he even arrived on campus. Most people forget that. They both have had one in college. Walton is a year younger as a junior and has 48 more carries in the same amount of playing time Gore had.

The self proclaimed draft guru here should probably check his facts before claiming more wear and tear, etc.

This self proclaimed draft guru has absolutely nailed the last two hurricane draft classes on the head other than Brad kaaya...but please continue

Walton is a Day 2 talent (2nd or 3rd round). The injury and the loaded RB class may push him down to 4th or 5th range. He's a perfect fit on a pass-happy team.

Here's what an anonymous scout had to say on him:

• An NFC scout said UM junior running back Mark Walton, out for the season after ankle surgery, would have been a second or third round pick with a good year. He still could be a mid-round pick if he turns pro. One negative: his 2.5 career average against top defenses FSU and Clemson (31 carries, 78 yards).

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article178834876.html

An NFL scout had him all the way around 2-3 round pre injury. Guessing 5-6 now

We were hearing about how NFL scouts had Kaaya as a first rounder before last season. I take those projections with a proverbial grain of salt.

QB stock is volatile, going back to the great Jevan Snead. RB's usually are what they are.

The scout is seeing the same thing I'm seeing with Walton: a 2nd-3rd round talent. He can catch, pass protect, he's smart and he has great initial burst.

He picked a bad year to get hurt because this is a loaded RB draft. But if his prognosis is 100% recovery before training camp, he's a steal on Day 3.

Advertisement
He was around the fifth round...solid all around back like gore but lacks his size and has a ton of wear and tear compared to gore. He should come back to get into that convo again because of his injury...he’s probably a 7th rounder to priority free garnet right now because of it.

395 carries/2000 yards in his career is not a lot of wear and tear.

Quick question? How many carries would he have added from the rest of the season?

I think it comes down to how well he does in the 40...needs to do some speed training after his recovery. ..if hes able to run a 4.5 laser.....then he will be a mid round pick....if he runs above a 4.6 he might be a 6th or 7th rounder??? That means he needs to run a 4.4 hand time to even think about leaving early...IMO

It's a tough call whether he should come back or not.

It's probably in his best interest to come back and show the NFL that he's healthy. What's he got to lose? We know Richt loves the guy, and he'll get his carries, so if he can improve his performance against top rated schools, it's all positive.

What's the downside? Injury

Advertisement

Lol What?

Gore is the most naturally talented back to play at Miami. He has had far worse injuries than Walton. ACL tears in both knees.

No, that’s what I’m saying...you compare him to Gore. Obviously Frank was more explosive but he’s a similar back in style, he also had one of those ACL tears pre-miami and an ankle injury are worse for RB’s because they’re nagging injuries that don’t permanently go away. At least with an ACL you can gain a lot of your strength back but not so much with an ankle...especially if it’s ligament damage.

Real talk... If Walton comes back he'll be 2nd string

He wouldn’t be a 2nd stringer...they’ll use the backs like UGA use Chubb, Michel, and Swift. Just a barrage of talented back after talented back and wear you down until you say I quit

Last edited:
Advertisement

Lol What?

No, that’s what I’m saying...you compare him to Gore. Obviously Frank was more explosive but he’s a similar back in style, he also had one of those ACL tears pre-miami and an ankle injury are worse for RB’s because they’re nagging injuries that don’t permanently go away. At least with an ACL you can gain a lot of your strength back but not so much with an ankle...especially if it’s ligament damage.

Frank and Mark are not similar backs at all. Frank Gore had the best vision and feel for the running game of any back in the history of this university. Frank always made the first man miss with suddenness and burst out of cuts. Walton has mediocre to poor vision which he makes up for with toughness, power and a good burst. Watch Walton when he attempts to shake a defender one on one, he always has to slow down and take a couple jab steps to try and shake the man. Gore did not. The only real comparisons between the two is that they're both great pass blockers and pass catchers.

We've hammered this topic a lot since his injury.

Reality is, that in terms of this decision, it doesn't really matter where he projects in the Draft, what matters is does he improve in any significant way by returning to school?

If he gets a 4th or 5th round grade, he should go pro. I love Walton, but I don't see his stock improving to a round 1 to 3 player with another year in college. Heisman watch list RBs regularly fall well into rounds 2 and 3.

If he gets a round 6 through UFA grade, it might be worth the risk to come back for another season because he could improve his stock in a meaningful way.

Those late round grades are RB purgatory. Teams won't have enough invested in you because if they are picking you that late, they probably have at least 2 to 4 other RBs in the mix they like equally if not a little better.

There is no 4th or 5th round grade from the advisory committee.
Since so many underclassman have been declaring they changed their grades a few years ago to: First Round, Second Round, and Neither.

However, Walton should and Will declare for the draft. Before his injury, I'd say he was a 3rd round prospect. After his injury I think the Combine is going to be absolutely crucial if he wants to be drafted in the top 5 rounds. Teams are going to want to see that his ankles are completely healthy and that he has his cutting ability back.

Either way he Will be drafted. But I don't think his stock is killed or anything. Matt Miller just released his updated big board (top 25, and top 10 at each position) 2018 NFL Draft Big Board: Matt Miller'''s Updated Rankings | Bleacher Report
He has Mark Walton listed as the #6 RB in the draft (and this is post-injury). He's got Barkley, Guice, Ronald Jones, Damien Harris, and Rashard Penny listed above him. And after him he's got Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Bo Scarbrough, and Akrum Wadley.

Lol What?

Frank and Mark are not similar backs at all. Frank Gore had the best vision and feel for the running game of any back in the history of this university. Frank always made the first man miss with suddenness and burst out of cuts. Walton has mediocre to poor vision which he makes up for with toughness, power and a good burst. Watch Walton when he attempts to shake a defender one on one, he always has to slow down and take a couple jab steps to try and shake the man. Gore did not. The only real comparisons between the two is that they're both great pass blockers and pass catchers.

Agreed. Gore was just a natural RB - best vision I think I've ever witnessed in a RB.

Advertisement

Lol What?

That’s explosiveness...like I said Frank is way more explosive and trying to compare athleticism to a style(both are north and south running do it all backs...that’s a style of back) isn’t the discussion...at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An NFL scout had him all the way around 2-3 round pre injury. Guessing 5-6 now

We were hearing about how NFL scouts had Kaaya as a first rounder before last season. I take those projections with a proverbial grain of salt.

QB stock is volatile, going back to the great Jevan Snead. RB's usually are what they are.

The scout is seeing the same thing I'm seeing with Walton: a 2nd-3rd round talent. He can catch, pass protect, he's smart and he has great initial burst.

He picked a bad year to get hurt because this is a loaded RB draft. But if his prognosis is 100% recovery before training camp, he's a steal on Day 3.
Have you and Barry's anonymous scout ever been seen together in the same room?

Advertisement
Back