Walton's draft stock

Advertisement
If he has the degree (to fall back on) I say go.. if not, he needs to come back. There is nothing to hide behind when trying to make the 53 man roster. Either he has what it takes or he doesn't.

yeah the comparisons and comments with gore are idiotic. walton doesn't have a ton of wear and tear. he was a backup his freshman year, a starter his soph and got injured in game 2 and 3 of his jr year.

gore had several surgeries before he left college.

As long as one team tells him they will draft him and see a future with him, he goes. They might not draft until the 6th round, but he needs the money. Honestly, I think he needs to focus more on getting a degree. I don't see him making a living playing football.

He was around the fifth round...solid all around back like gore but lacks his size and has a ton of wear and tear compared to gore. He should come back to get into that convo again because of his injury...he’s probably a 7th rounder to priority free garnet right now because of it.

395 carries/2000 yards in his career is not a lot of wear and tear.

Advertisement
He was around the fifth round...solid all around back like gore but lacks his size and has a ton of wear and tear compared to gore. He should come back to get into that convo again because of his injury...he’s probably a 7th rounder to priority free garnet right now because of it.

Lol What?

Gore is the most naturally talented back to play at Miami. He has had far worse injuries than Walton. ACL tears in both knees.

He also just passed Eric ****erson on the All Time Rushing List

Gore had an ACL before he even arrived on campus. Most people forget that. They both have had one in college. Walton is a year younger as a junior and has 48 more carries in the same amount of playing time Gore had.

The self proclaimed draft guru here should probably check his facts before claiming more wear and tear, etc.

Last edited:
5-6 rounder maybe 7 rounder. The talent and work ethic is there and Walton is a GREAT pass blocker and catcher out of the backfield but when these team start popping in tape vs ND, VT, FSU, and GT they're not gonna see 1-4 round prospect talent. Then you add he doesn't have that top end speed and is coming off a foot injury on both feet. He'll go 5-6 round. Think I'm full of ****? Against ND, FSU, VT, and GT Mark Walton has never rushed for more then 50 yards.. not 100. FIVE ZERO.

He hasn't had a decent OL to run behind so hopefully that's a factor for him but I hear you.

10+ RBs from non-P5 schools, some from FCS schools were drafted in 2017.

NFL Draft 2017 Picks by Position - ESPN Draftcast

I guess these 10+ teams didn't care what these guys did against P5 schools.

Overall, 20+ RBs were drafted. If Walton declares like a lot of us expect him to do, he'll get drafted.

I would guess that most of those non P5 backs didn't have much tape against P5 opponents.

Walton does, and it's not terribly impressive.

If non-P5 backs don't have much tape against P5 opponents, why are they getting drafted?

Advertisement

Overall, 20+ RBs were drafted. If Walton declares like a lot of us expect him to do, he'll get drafted.

I would guess that most of those non P5 backs didn't have much tape against P5 opponents.

The difference is that of the 12 Non-P5 RB's taken, 9 had a ypc of of 6.0 or better. All had a ypc of 5.4 or more.

Walton has a ypc of 5.1, and 5.1 ypc was the lowest of any of the 26 RB's drafted last year.

The difference is that of the 12 Non-P5 RB's taken, 9 had a ypc of of 6.0 or better. All had a ypc of 5.4 or more.

Walton has a ypc of 5.1, and 5.1 ypc was the lowest of any of the 26 RB's drafted last year.

There you go.

Advertisement
why does it always seem like the nfl always drafts guys later than the projections they give these kids?

gonna be a crowded backfield if he comes back walton,homer,lingard,davis,gray,burns

I'm okay with that. The top programs nationally have similarly loaded backfields, normally. May lose a guy to transfer between now and then too.

Attempting to be completely objective, as a fan of mark's game and his work for this U:

He has the size/speed combination of a mid to late round pick (4-7). Coming off injury he needs to worry about proving he is even draftable when the combine comes around.

He has nothing to gain by coming back from a draft perspective, since he wont get substantively taller or faster, but he may have something to gain from a life perspective if it means finishing his degree, taking over some of the miami rushing records, and making a playoff run with what may be a very talented team next year. I would not blame a guy in his position for taking the financial step if he thinks that is necessary, but he could really cement a legacy at Miami with a healthy 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
For Walton's running style, jump cuts and such, I think it's absolutely critical for Walton's draft stock that he come back and show that he is fully recovered from an ankle injury. Even if he splits carries, that may actually help him.

having a walton/homer/lingard backfield would be great.

burns is gonna find himself as the odd man out if he doesn't get out there soon. even if walton leaves, that leaves homer/gray/lingard/davis and burns fighting to prove himself to get carries next year.

He's also scored 28 TDs in 30 games while running behind a subpar OL.

Advertisement
Back