Walton & Yearby

[MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION]

Waiting for you to make an excuse for Walton...First game against a Power 5 opponent and 15 carries 44 yards less than 3 yards per carry

I dont wanna hear anything about offensive line or stacking the box...he is what he is... balls out against scrub teams nowhere to be found against any team with a pulse... Lets pray Kaaya is on his A game next week..Go canes!!

Your school is losing to UNC.

Advertisement
You could see him hesitating today he hasn't been doing that this year. It was annoying I'm sticking to what I have always said I like Yearby over Walton. Yes he's slower but he doesn't hesitate he hits what ever crease he sees

Exactly!!!!!!!! Walton was hesitating in the backfield all **** day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he looked horrible....HE is much better out of the I formation he can not run out of the shotgun...I saw the same thing last year

Walton has been hesitating all year. It's just his running instincts. They're not good. He could just that can get away with his hesitation against slow & weak defenses like FAMU & FAU. Any RB can look good against those teams. Walton gets swallowed up by real defenses.

The main thing he does is he takes the handoff, stops at the line of scrimmage, makes a lateral cut, and then goes. He rarely just hits the hole without stopping before the LOS. Sometimes he comes to a dead stop. By the time he actually crosses the LOS he has no momentum and has given the defense and an extra half second to make a play.

And it's not just on handoff's, you can see the same thing on all 3 passes he caught vs. GT. In the open field he he slows down, moves laterally, then starts again. He comes to dead stops in the open field as well. It's not good.

He doesn't have the speed, shiftiness, or stop/start quickness to pull off all the things he instinctually does that stop his forward momentum - stopping behind the LOS, lateral cuts, spin moves, jumping/leaving his feet.

His vision is also a problem too. He has a bad habit of running into the back of his own blockers, or when avoiding a defender he'll and run right into a blocker or another defender because he doesn't see them.

You can see him do all these thing in his highlights from HS, last year, and this year. Like Vern says, Walton is who he is.

The majority of the carries will eventually shift away from Walton and start going to Yearby & Gus, but it's unfortunate with our upcoming schedule that the coaches haven't realized yet that Yearby & Gus are the better options.

I really must be watching a different game altogether. Maybe just maybe Georgia tech gameplanned to stop Walton more so than joe? Either way Walton has looked way more explosive this year and joe has finally lost that weight he was carrying around last year and is making his usual deadly cuts. Im not really seeing the problem here but I guess over the next few weeks we will see ho it plays out

Mark wasn't seeing the holes. A lot of time if he would have cut back, their were yards to gain. I do think Gus should get at least 5-7 carries a game. 3 and short situations.

...that the coaches haven't realized yet that Yearby & Gus are the better options.

Do you really think Searles, Brown, and Richt have a blind spot when it comes to evaluating the best backfield talent?

Do you really believe they have missed something wrt Walton vs. Yearby vs. Edwards?

Is there an agenda playing out? If so, what might that be? Is the "man" keeping Yearby and Edwards down?

Not saying it's impossible, but I just dont get that sense (yet) from this staff.

Advertisement
I'm convinced blackvern is Gus Edwards

Has to be . No one is that stupid. Walton has been beastly all year and Yearby is a good 2nd back. Love how Walton makes one cut and just boom goes. Our Oline is very average on run blocking but the guys keep getting theirs and making plays. I cringe when ever Gus is put in . Luckily it rarely happens.

I really must be watching a different game altogether. Maybe just maybe Georgia tech gameplanned to stop Walton more so than joe? Either way Walton has looked way more explosive this year and joe has finally lost that weight he was carrying around last year and is making his usual deadly cuts. Im not really seeing the problem here but I guess over the next few weeks we will see ho it plays out

You speak with common sense as Walton is the 3rd leading Rb in yards in the ACC and Yearby is the 9th . It is amazing to have 2 guys in the top 10 . Both have averages over 7 yards as well.

...that the coaches haven't realized yet that Yearby & Gus are the better options.

Do you really think Searles, Brown, and Richt have a blind spot when it comes to evaluating the best backfield talent?

Do you really believe they have missed something wrt Walton vs. Yearby vs. Edwards?

Is there an agenda playing out? If so, what might that be? Is the "man" keeping Yearby and Edwards down?

Not saying it's impossible, but I just dont get that sense (yet) from this staff.

I don't think they're blind or have any agenda. I think they're a new staff who are still getting a feel for what they have.

Walton was recruited hard by Richt. Walton took an official visit to UGA right before signing day. Richt has a familiarity with Walton, so it makes sense Walton would get first crack at being the starter.

I think the depth chart should be 1) Gus 2) Yearby 3) Walton. And that doesn't mean I think Gus & Yearby are studs - I don't. Gus & Yearby have their limitations too. I just think they're "better" options than Walton. I don't think there's a huge difference between the 3, so it's not easy to evaluate them. But the talent gap is big enough that Walton should be running 3rd.

I think as we get into the ACC schedule against quality opponents, Walton's ineffectiveness will become more apparent, and the depth chart will change. I'm hoping Gus will start to get the bulk of the carries, but my guess is Yearby will get the bulk of the carries with Gus getting more involved.

Waiting for you to make an excuse for Walton...First game against a Power 5 opponent and 15 carries 44 yards less than 3 yards per carry

I dont wanna hear anything about offensive line or stacking the box...he is what he is... balls out against scrub teams nowhere to be found against any team with a pulse... Lets pray Kaaya is on his A game next week..Go canes!!

You sound like an idiot...

Advertisement

Total Idiot!

Walton vs. Non-Power 5 Teams

Games - 6
Carries - 84
Yards - 562
Avg - 6.9
TD's - 12

Walton vs. Power 5 Teams

Games - 11
Carries - 108
Yards - 333
Avg - 3.1
TD's - 5

Total Idiot!

Walton vs. Non-Power 5 Teams

Games - 6
Carries - 84
Yards - 562
Avg - 6.9
TD's - 12

Walton vs. Power 5 Teams

Games - 11
Carries - 108
Yards - 333
Avg - 3.1
TD's - 5
You're comparing this year Walton vs last year. He's been much better this year and he's only played one power five team this year so let's give him some time before writing him off

Didn't like what I saw from Walton against GT. There were yards to be had, but you had to be physical to get them. Luckily for him, FSU's DL is a dumpster fire, so he's going to be able to juice that YPC number against a name-brand opponent that isn't anywhere near as good as it should be (due to a ton of injuries and such.)

I'll be disappointed if we don't run for at least 150 against the Noles. They are not very good right now and just got mauled by the Heels.

...I think the depth chart should be 1) Gus 2) Yearby 3) Walton. And that doesn't mean I think Gus & Yearby are studs - I don't. Gus & Yearby have their limitations too. I just think they're "better" options than Walton....

Points taken. Do you think that gets sorted out this week prior to FSU? I suspect status quo stays.

Do you think it gets sorted out after FSU before UNC?

Since pre-season, this has certainly been a hotly debated topic...imagine what else would get thrown in if Gray were still available.

I can't say Im disappointed by Walton...I am surprised we havent seen more Williams/Edwards combos on 3rd-short. But maybe we just havent been in that many down amd distance scenarios. Id have to go.back and rewatch tape to think through that a little more.

My impression is any stalls in the run still start with OL play, but in full disclosure, I've been more locked on that for a.few years now. Maybe I need to step back and more critically review the RBs at the point of attack...

appreciate good discussion...

Advertisement
Walton's best skill is catching passes. I don't think he's anywhere near the instinctual and natural RB that Yearby is. If Joe had a tick more speed he'd be elite. Walton can be a good useful complementary player who you can win with.

For the guys pointing out that he has better stats against non-Power 5 teams, so does everyone. You could do that with anyone and see that they have lesser stats against better teams. That's why they're better teams.

Let's put it this way for you Gus fanboys... whenever the other 2 RB are in the game nobody really cares. But when Gus enter just about everyone is thinking "aw **** Gus is in"

Advertisement
[/QUOTE]
You're comparing this year Walton vs last year. He's been much better this year and he's only played one power five team this year so let's give him some time before writing him off[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately we don't have time. The next 3 games determine the Coastal, so we've gotta get the ball in the hands of our best players. IMO - Walton isn't it.

I'm not writing him off - I just want him 3rd on the depth chart. He should be our pass catching/3rd down back. But he needs to get less carries.

What I have seen from Walton this year is what I've always seen. I consider the 80 yd run against App St. kind of lucky. He got stopped at the LOS, the guy didn't finish the tackle, and the rest of the defense stopped assuming the play was over. He went 15 for 50 the rest of the game. He's 30 for 94 since that run, which is basically half his season. Add that in with last year, and I've seen enough.

You can see in the FAU highlights the microcosm of his tendencies I dislike as a runner:

- Hop step/lateral cut before the LOS (every run). His natural instinct is to do this hop step on every carry when 50% of the time he should just be running straight through the hole.
- Lack of speed and jumping (2nd run)
- Spin move & running directly into his own blocker (4th run).
- 4 hop stops before LOS (5th run)

[video=youtube;BjD2-eep8yk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjD2-eep8yk[/video]

...I think the depth chart should be 1) Gus 2) Yearby 3) Walton. And that doesn't mean I think Gus & Yearby are studs - I don't. Gus & Yearby have their limitations too. I just think they're "better" options than Walton....

Points taken. Do you think that gets sorted out this week prior to FSU? I suspect status quo stays.

Do you think it gets sorted out after FSU before UNC?

Since pre-season, this has certainly been a hotly debated topic...imagine what else would get thrown in if Gray were still available.

I can't say Im disappointed by Walton...I am surprised we havent seen more Williams/Edwards combos on 3rd-short. But maybe we just havent been in that many down amd distance scenarios. Id have to go.back and rewatch tape to think through that a little more.

My impression is any stalls in the run still start with OL play, but in full disclosure, I've been more locked on that for a.few years now. Maybe I need to step back and more critically review the RBs at the point of attack...

appreciate good discussion...

Hard to say - I'm in a huge minority with what I think the depth chart should be. But I feel confident Walton will not be the starter come November. Gus got his first carries in meaningful game situations vs. GT. I highly doubt it, but maybe the coaches were saving him?

Sometimes it takes a little while for things to sort themselves out. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but it's usually because of injury that allows for a more talented player to start getting more carries.

Examples at Georgia:
2006 - Richt redshirts Knowshon Moreno because he has Kregg Lumpkin, Thomas Brown, and Danny Ware - all highly rated recruits.
2007 - Knowshon doesn't start over Thomas Brown until the 7th game of the season when Brown gets hurt
2012 - Gurley/Marshall rotate evenly the first 4 games before majority of the carries start going to Gurley
2014 - Nick Chubb doesn't jump Sony Michel in the depth chart until Michel gets hurt in the 4th game.

bshaw28 must be one of the mopes that tried to set Walton up earlier this year.

Walton's best skill is catching passes. I don't think he's anywhere near the instinctual and natural RB that Yearby is. If Joe had a tick more speed he'd be elite. Walton can be a good useful complementary player who you can win with.

For the guys pointing out that he has better stats against non-Power 5 teams, so does everyone. You could do that with anyone and see that they have lesser stats against better teams. That's why they're better teams.

Agree Walton is our best pass catcher. I hope we start using him more there.

Yes all guys are better vs. Non-P5 than P5, but Gus & Yearby are comparatively better than Walton vs both:

YPC Non-Power 5

Walton - 6.7 (I mistakenly put 6.9 earlier)
Yearby - 7.4
Gus - 8.2

YPC - Power 5

Walton - 3.1
Yearby - 4.6
Gus - 4.3

Walton is 8.4 YPC vs. Non-P5 this year when he's been "killing" it. So even if you're just looking at Walton's best games, it's not that much more than Yearby or Gus.

There's definitely a big enough sample size to see that if you give the ball to Gus or Yearby, you get a better outcome than giving it to Walton.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back