Wake

Advertisement
I've been critical of the way Gino has used the pitching staff this season, especially in the first half of the season. I also agree with much of what Jagr has to say on these boards, but I don't have a problem with last night. Federman has consistently been a good option in the 8th inning and it's not exactly like he was getting pounded before the 2 home runs. By the way, those 2 home runs are fly outs in 99% of college stadiums. I just feel like if we went to Mantilla earlier we'd all be screaming about that. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Get at least 2 of 3 from Duke and we're good to host.

I've been critical of the way Gino has used the pitching staff this season, especially in the first half of the season. I also agree with much of what Jagr has to say on these boards, but I don't have a problem with last night. Federman has consistently been a good option in the 8th inning and it's not exactly like he was getting pounded before the 2 home runs. By the way, those 2 home runs are fly outs in 99% of college stadiums. I just feel like if we went to Mantilla earlier we'd all be screaming about that. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Get at least 2 of 3 from Duke and we're good to host.

That's fair. I thought the wildness and then the hard hit double were red flags before the home runs.

Advertisement
I don't understand how they can be so bad at fielding. Its 99% fundamentals and concentration. Anyone know DiMares PO box? I want to mail him my old VHS copy of Tom Emansky's Baseball Fundamentals. As endorsed by Fred McGriff!

Yep. I was watching this game with a buddy who doesn't follow UM that much.....he was asking on a few plays why i was *****ing about the guys kicking the ball around on what seemed like very difficult plays at short and third. I told him that I have seen these guys ***** up routine grounders for an out so much that it got a little difficult to separate the two at times. Probably the most frustrating now is watching these guys make beautiful stabs at the ball, secure it with enough time to set their feet and make a nice measured throw to first....and instead rush and throw it in the dugout.

Oh well....2/3 v. Duke...we should be good I would imagine.

UM

We need to sweep Duke to get a top 4 seed. Imo there is no way FSU and either State or Carolina get swept which would allow us to still get a top 4. That is assuming somehow we can’t come out on top of whatever the tie breaker is for seeding

We need to sweep Duke to get a top 4 seed. Imo there is no way FSU and either State or Carolina get swept which would allow us to still get a top 4. That is assuming somehow we can’t come out on top of whatever the tie breaker is for seeding

L'ville can absolutely sweep FSU, it just depends on if they peaked already, that had a rough weekend and have lost 3 of 4.

As long as FSU doesn’t win the Louisville series, 2 out of 3 against Duke is enough for the 4th seed. NC State and UNC play each other which guarantees the loser would drop behind us. Losing two out of three at Louisville would do the same for FSU. It’s certainly possible FSU wins that series but it’s the third most likely scenario behind Louisville 2 of 3 or Louisville sweep.

Advertisement
As long as FSU doesn’t win the Louisville series, 2 out of 3 against Duke is enough for the 4th seed. NC State and UNC play each other which guarantees the loser would drop behind us. Losing two out of three at Louisville would do the same for FSU. It’s certainly possible FSU wins that series but it’s the third most likely scenario behind Louisville 2 of 3 or Louisville sweep.

I’m talking guarantees here. I don’t wanna be paying attention to other games and sweating out a rubber match on Sunday

L'ville can absolutely sweep FSU, it just depends on if they peaked already, that had a rough weekend and have lost 3 of 4.

I’m very concerned about how Louisville looked last weekend. Would be great to have them play like that in the conference tourney but not this weekend

Just win the Duke series and we should host. Anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised if there weren't 3 ACC teams and a state of Florida team among the 16 regional hosts.

Our RPI coupled w conference record should make us the third ACC host.

Advertisement
Just win the Duke series and we should host. Anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised if there weren't 3 ACC teams and a state of Florida team among the 16 regional hosts.

Agreed. Also, the ACC tourney is meaningless unless you need to win it to get in.

Agreed. Also, the ACC tourney is meaningless unless you need to win it to get in.

Completely wrong, of course. If we're #9-#10 going into the tournament and win the whole thing, that could be the boost to landing a national seed.

Completely wrong, of course. If we're #9-#10 going into the tournament and win the whole thing, that could be the boost to landing a national seed.
The next time you post something worth reading will be the 1st time Gator Troll. You need to concentrate on the SEC tourney. Your boys need to win it.

Advertisement
The next time you post something worth reading will be the 1st time Gator Troll. You need to concentrate on the SEC tourney. Your boys need to win it.

So you agree that hosts and national seeds aren't set in stone before the conference tournaments.

Last night’s results were bad for us RPI wise, dropping us to 16 in the Warren Nolan RPI. Boyd’s RPI Needs Report now says we need to sweep Duke to finish the regular season with a top 16 RPI.

Yep. I was watching this game with a buddy who doesn't follow UM that much.....he was asking on a few plays why i was *****ing about the guys kicking the ball around on what seemed like very difficult plays at short and third. I told him that I have seen these guys ***** up routine grounders for an out so much that it got a little difficult to separate the two at times. Probably the most frustrating now is watching these guys make beautiful stabs at the ball, secure it with enough time to set their feet and make a nice measured throw to first....and instead rush and throw it in the dugout.

Oh well....2/3 v. Duke...we should be good I would imagine.

UM

All kidding aside, those Emanski videos are excellent. He really did understand fundamentals very well.

The other guy who doesn't get as much credit as he should for being a real guru in that area, was a old coach, Lew Watts, who wrote the book,

"The Fine Art of Baseball"

Sparky Anderson used to always keep a copy in his office, in eyesight, to always remind him of the importance of "the details."

Interesting read.

Last night’s results were bad for us RPI wise, dropping us to 16 in the Warren Nolan RPI. Boyd’s RPI Needs Report now says we need to sweep Duke to finish the regular season with a top 16 RPI.

Hopefully Evan comes back strong like McMahon this weekend, and the Committee takes the return of those two into account in their analysis.

I believe they did so the year UVA barely got in, and then won it all.

Advertisement
Back