W-L that Gets Diaz Extension or Relieved

Advertisement
Empirical Muppetopian Slayer is doing the board a service with this thread. It’s another opportunity for those who didn’t vote in the Acceptable Progress Poll thread to go on record with a measurable bottom line for Manny - this one on the extension side.

I hope all of those future posters crying for or against an extension during or after the season will have registered their standard by which Manny should be judged ahead of time rather than just show up howling to those who took a stand in advance.

Now with that being said, I think 10-2 should get Manny another year. I think 11-1 should get him a multi-year extension. I think that they’ll decide during the season for recruiting and so at 6-1 with the only loss to Bama, and us beating UNC and NC State - that’s the earliest I’d do it and I’d prefer after FSU.
Preach @RVACane !

Vote and put your marker on the table

Advertisement
There isn’t a single coach in college football operating on a one year deal.

It’s recruiting suicide.
Exactly, there will be 2 years left after this season. He will never operate on a one-year deal because after 2022 when there IS one year left, you extend or fire with minimal buyout.

Advertisement
I don't get this early extension crap, except for the top 3-4 elite coaches that are guaranteed bets on long contracts..... Where's manny going to go that's a better option????? IMO, if he's on year 3 of a 5year, you wait to see how this year finishes... if he does really well and is a hot name, then you extend him.... If he does subpar or does another late season total titanic, then you hold off and think about options..

Nothing gets him fired. Miami always waits until after year 4 to fire a coach.

A 7 win season gets him extended because a 6 win season got Golden extended and a weak win over Oklahoma got Randy Shannon extended.

This is an idiotic take. Miami was paying those guys next to nothing. This was before the Board finally accepted you have to spend money to win. You're also assuming we'll make the same mistakes we made with Golden which is highly unlikely at best.

Advertisement
I say 9 wins gets him an extension. The only way he gets fired is to be 500 this year and have another UNC type blow out in the latter part of the season. I do not think 9 wins is worthy of an extension.

Can't we just treat his contract like a lease and just convert to month-to-month once it runs out?
People are laughing but it's a good idea

We have a major advantage in that we are a Private University and the details of a contract are not public information. A smart AD would take advantage of this.

If he goes 9-3 this year no one is going to be banging on Manny's door to hire him away.

To show recruits we are committed to Manny we give him a 2 year "extension" that is voidable if he does not hit a certain benchmark in year 4 (for arguments sake lets say 9 wins). We do not publicize the voidable part obviously.

I don't get this early extension crap, except for the top 3-4 elite coaches that are guaranteed bets on long contracts..... Where's manny going to go that's a better option????? IMO, if he's on year 3 of a 5year, you wait to see how this year finishes... if he does really well and is a hot name, then you extend him.... If he does subpar or does another late season total titanic, then you hold off and think about options..

Every school extends when there’s about three years left.

Advertisement
People are laughing but it's a good idea

We have a major advantage in that we are a Private University and the details of a contract are not public information. A smart AD would take advantage of this.

If he goes 9-3 this year no one is going to be banging on Manny's door to hire him away.

To show recruits we are committed to Manny we give him a 2 year "extension" that is voidable if he does not hit a certain benchmark in year 4 (for arguments sake lets say 9 wins). We do not publicize the voidable part obviously.
That's just it, how many get extensions and then decline? Keep showing results.

For the record, Manny doesn't strike me as the type to relax because of an extension. I think he does want to reach the upper echelon even if he doesn't know exactly how to get there.

This is an idiotic take. Miami was paying those guys next to nothing. This was before the Board finally accepted you have to spend money to win. You're also assuming we'll make the same mistakes we made with Golden which is highly unlikely at best.
Except we hired yet another coach from the clutches of Temple? Oh but wait, he was also our defensive coordinator.

Right. Miami has made leaps and bounds in hiring and firing practices.

Advertisement
Back