VT defense gutted this yr -- Mook Reynolds dismissed

VT just announced it has officially dismissed OLB Mook Reynolds from the team. He had been suspended all summer, now they're saying he won't be back.

Their defense has been crushed since last season

DT Tim Settle -- 5th round pick to Washington
LB Andrew Motuapauka -- Graduated
LB Tremaine Edmunds -- 1st round pick to Buffalo
LB Mook Reynolds -- Kicked off the team
CB Brandon Facyson -- Graduated
CB Greg Stroman -- Graduated
CB Adonis Alexander -- Academically ineligible
CB Jeremy Webb -- Torn Achilles, out for the season
S Terrell Edmunds -- 1st round pick to Pittsburgh

Stroman and Facyson had started a combined 76 games and had 14 picks between them. Alexander and Webb were the 2 guys they expected to fill those spots, and both of them are gone.

Mook Reynolds had started 27 games in his 3 previous years.

That's 8 starters gone plus Webb who was a JuCo transfer they expected to start immediately.

We all know Foster has done more with less forever up there, but **** they are absolutely decimated on the defensive side of the ball. And I don't see a ton of playmakers on offense either. Absolutely no excuse to not win the Coastal this year again. None.

Advertisement
Was Alexander the guy we picked on all night with Jeff Thomas and then he "pulled" a hammy when he got roasted by Ahmonn and took the PI instead of the TD? I think that was him that was getting torched all night. He was good for a PI penalty every time he was targeted.

We're not at that mentality yet, but eventually beating great, full strength teams like FSU and VT (not decimated ones), will be a necessity if we want to go further than the coastal. The old "swagger" teams used to beg for the best.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Let's not lull ourselves to sleep with a false sense of security. Bud will those boys playing well when it's our turn to face them.

I doubt Virgina Tech was feeling sorry for us while we were dealing with Randy and Golden. F-Em'. I hope we go up to blacksburg and drop 50 on them.

I will be at this game and I fully expect to Miami to slaughter them. I know Lane stadium is a tough place to play, but there should be no reason we don't bend them over

Advertisement
I don't really care if they're at full strength or not. No one made excuses for us when we were playing without Walton, Richards, or Herndon, among others. I hope we destroy them, some of their pathetic fans were making fun of Jose Fernandez's death last year.

or when they routinely beat us during the probation years of the Butch era. They never complained as they were pounding our faces in the dirt then and ascended the college ranks on the backs of our carcass.

I'm glad the OP was smart enough to include the mandatory genuflection to Bud Foster as I'm sure some would've immediately rushed to make that point.

As he correctly concludes, I don't care what a magician that old highly functioning drunk is OR that it's probably going to be a night game in Blacksburg- there still is no excuse to not be able to beat that team with those losses on their D.

And us potentially entering this year with an inexperienced QB shouldn't be a factor by then based on how late in the year that tilt is.

Was Alexander the guy we picked on all night with Jeff Thomas and then he "pulled" a hammy when he got roasted by Ahmonn and took the PI instead of the TD? I think that was him that was getting torched all night. He was good for a PI penalty every time he was targeted.
Lol right. He's the super tall CB they were raving about

Advertisement
This is definitely good news for us. However, VT usually reloads on Defense. It will still be a difficult game for us.

Even though they lose alot of pieces you better believe Bud Foster will have them playing attacking fundamental football when the season rolls around that guy is a seriously ELITE defensive coordinator. This game will still be a tough one blacksburg is no joke and they always get up to play us.

We lost:
Norton - Starter
McIntosh - Starter
Tool Time Trent - Solid Contributor
Chad - Starter
Young - Part time Starter
Moten - Solid Contributor
Owens - Capable backup
Delaney - Starter

VT might be licking their chops...but we know better. Bottom line is all teams suffer losses. As the previous poster claimed, Bud foster will have those boys ready to play!

We lost to a young, awful, PITT team with a freshman QB.

Richt, while at UGA, also lost to a young Florida team, with Treon Harris starting at QB.

Don’t underestimate Richts ability to lose games like this.

Advertisement
Back