Virginia Tech (Game 3) 1pm ACCNX

This is a great drill, but idk that that’s our problem. We seem to guess 95% of the time unless our guys are in plus counts. When you’re guessing it doesn’t matter what or where the pitch is, if you guess wrong it isn’t going to work out. Toral and Gil are some of the worst guessers I’ve ever seen at this level.
Yes they do. That's a part of it. Guessing or rather anticipation is what a good hitter should do in certain counts, but these guys seem to guess all the time rather than react. I get that feeling because they want to hit just fastball. You can't hit just one pitch. They get 2 strikes on them and then they're done. It just looks like they don't have good pitch recognition and the mechanics to go with it.

That's really it. It's the mechanics. Even if they have good pitch recognition, their bad mechanics won't allow them to git off speed pitches because it requires keeping the front shoulder and hips closed until you recognize the pitch. That's what the tee drill and bounce drill teaches you. That Louisville coach in the bounce video had it right. When you recognize off speed, your wait is still loaded. You're in balance. On off speed, most of these guys have already transferred their weight, opened their shoulder, and hip. When you do that, your done. You won't even make contact. If you do, your best case is a bloop hit.

I just hope these guys work harder to become better hitters. Toral seems capable as he had a great season in 2019 and was off to a good year in 2020 before the season got canceled. Gil on the otherhand looks like a pure guess hitter and I don't see him changing at this stage of his career. He has good power, but just takes the wrong approach at the plate. It's kind of unfortunate that he's been successful at it for so long because he wasn't forced to change his approach. Now he's struggling as there's plenty of video on him to exploit his weaknesses.

VT really scouted Miami well. They threw every left handed pitcher they had at our left handed dominant lineup. They exploited all of our hitter's weaknesses. I expect the rest of the conference totry to do the same thing.

It's going to be a tough series against NC Stste. They got swept last week. I watched their mid week game yesterday. Their bats erupted. The Canes are going to have to score a lot of runs. I just don't trust Federman as a starter and definitely not the Friday starter who is supposed to get your team off to a good start. Just like his relief pitching, he gets into trouble when he pitches more than 2 innings. However, he did pitch solid in the later innings of his VT start after getting ruffed up early. So, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nah, it's not mechanics. It's approach. When you go up trying to hit the ball 600 feet no matter what the situation is or what the count is, you're not going to be successful. You won't teach a showcase hero how to go the other way because he has no interest in even trying to go the other way.

Yes they do. That's a part of it. Guessing or rather anticipation is what a good hitter should do in certain counts, but these guys seem to guess all the time rather than react. I get that feeling because they want to hit just fastball. You can't hit just one pitch. They get 2 strikes on them and then they're done. It just looks like they don't have good pitch recognition and the mechanics to go with it.

That's really it. It's the mechanics. Even if they have good pitch recognition, their bad mechanics won't allow them to git off speed pitches because it requires keeping the front shoulder and hips closed until you recognize the pitch. That's what the tee drill and bounce drill teaches you. That Louisville coach in the bounce video had it right. When you recognize off speed, your wait is still loaded. You're in balance. On off speed, most of these guys have already transferred their weight, opened their shoulder, and hip. When you do that, your done. You won't even make contact. If you do, your best case is a bloop hit.

I just hope these guys work harder to become better hitters. Toral seems capable as he had a great eason in 2019 and was off to a good year in 2020 before the season got canceled. Gil on the otherhand looks like a pure guess hiitwr and I don't see him changing at this stage of his career. He has good power, but just takes the wrong approach at the plate. It's kind of unfortunate that he's been successful at it for so long because he wasn't forced to change his approach.

VT really scouted Miami well. They threw every left handed pitcher they had at our left handed dominant lineup. They exploited all of our hitter's weaknesses. I expect the rest of the conference totry to do the same thing.

It's going to be a tough series against NC Stste. They got swept last week. I watched their mid week game yesterday. Their bats erupted. The Canes are going to have to score a lot of runs. I just don't trust Federman as a starter and definitely not the Friday starter who is supposed to get your team off to a good start. Just like his relief pitching, he gets into trouble when he pitches more than 2 innings. However, he did pitch solid in the later innings of his VT start after getting ruffed up early. So, we'll see what happens.
We need to change our approach as well. I’ve always found that pitch recognition and approach go hand in hand. That part is all mental. It’s been a while since they’ve played in games. See it as long as you can. Stay in the middle of the field and when a pitch is in, react and just drop the barrel to it.

This is simple stuff and I’m sure is being preached, but Gino has to find a way to get it through to these kids.

We need to change our approach as well. I’ve always found that pitch recognition and approach go hand in hand. That part is all mental. It’s been a while since they’ve played in games. See it as long as you can. Stay in the middle of the field and when a pitch is in, react and just drop the barrel to it.

This is simple stuff and I’m sure is being preached, but Gino has to find a way to get it through to these kids.
I think not playing a midweek game is hurting the team. I'm sure they have intrasquad games, but it's not the same. It's hard to get into a rhythm going 4-5 days in between games. Hopefully they can get the series win this weekend. Their midweek games start next week.

Advertisement
Back