Virginia Tech (Game 3) 1pm ACCNX

Advertisement
One thing to lose, another to lose the easiest series on the schedule for a month and a half. Folks, 2017/18 may repeat itself this year if things don't improve. COVID was a giant blessing to this program. We got some guys who will help us win a few games, and it saved us the embarrassment of missing Omaha a year ago.

Nobody wins them all in baseball, not even close. But there is no excuse for what happened this weekend. This team and these coaches have a lot to prove. If anything like this continues, a month from now we’ll be saying, last weekend showed more about Florida than Miami.
This. Other than Morales, CDC and the new freshmen starters, we've shown absolutely nothing to convince me this is an Omaha team. It's as if our returning starters did nothing in the 1 year off season to improve themselves.

This. Other than Morales, CDC and the new freshmen starters, we've shown absolutely nothing to convince me this is an Omaha team. It's as if our returning starters did nothing in the 1 year off season to improve themselves.
I said the same thing Friday night. Older guys seem complacent. Need to take a hard look in the mirror and find out who we are as a team.

Advertisement
With the sweep of of FSU, Pitt is your ACC Coastal division co-leader at 3-0.

1. Pitt. 3-0
1. GT 3-0
3. VT 2-1
3. UNC 2-1
5. Miami 1-2
5. Duke 1-2
5. UVA 1-2

With the sweep of of FSU, Pitt is your ACC Coastal division co-leader at 3-0.

1. Pitt. 3-0
1. GT 3-0
3. VT 2-1
3. UNC 2-1
5. Miami 1-2
5. Duke 1-2
5. UVA 1-2
Coastal will be a mess this year. Here’s the obvious breakdown of the teams I’ve seen so far.

Pitching > Hitting
UVA (really struggled this weekend at the plate)
UNC (unproven bats that will get better)

Hitting > Pitching
GT (probably the best offense we will see)
PITT
Duke

I think we will eventually fit into the hitting over pitching category. Hard to tell about VT. I don’t think their pitching will hold up over the course of the season.

Looks like Vandy and Arkansas are the only top ranked teams to take care of business to start the season.

Coastal will be a mess this year. Here’s the obvious breakdown of the teams I’ve seen so far.

Pitching > Hitting

Hitting > Pitching
PITT
Duke

I think we will eventually fit into the hitting over pitching category. Hard to tell about VT. I don’t think their pitching will hold up over the course of the season.
We need to solidify 1 of the weekend starters and the midde relief. The hitting is atrocious. It's got to improve. Only 1 homerun in 6 games, very few extra bases, and hitting a very low average.

I think not paying a midweek game for severa weeks is hurting the team.

Advertisement
OMAHA?!

sorry to say but that isn’t us anymore. We are now a program that needs to ask.... postseason?
We are so far from an Omaha program it’s silly

The mighty have fallen oh so hard

We need to solidify 1 of the weekend starters and the midde relief. The hitting is atrocious. It's got to improve. Only 1 homerun in 6 games, very few extra bases, and hitting a very low average.

I think not paying a midweek game for severa weeks is hurting the team.
I was pretty sure this weekend that we could have faced 98% off speed stuff and not tallied a single hit...that is how poorly prepared they appeared to be to face pitchers with good curves and/or change ups.

Last edited:

Pitching > Hitting

Hitting > Pitching
PITT
Duke

UVa, UM, Duke .... all at 1-2 to start the year.

that's something i wouldn't have expected.

but i think this year could get ugly in a hurry for us. i'm not sensing any leadership, and i question the team chemistry. (that's separate from the lousy hitting, mediocre pitching, and sketchy defense).

Meanwhile Lovelady just walked UCF into Oxford and took the series against #1 in convincing fashion. Blown 2 run lead in the 9th away from sweeping.

he was my first choice to replace Morris, .... who pretty much resembled a cactus managing a baseball program the last couple years he was here.

Advertisement
UVa, UM, Duke .... all at 1-2 to start the year.

that's something i wouldn't have expected.

but i think this year could get ugly in a hurry for us. i'm not sensing any leadership, and i question the team chemistry. (that's separate from the lousy hitting, mediocre pitching, and sketchy defense).
UVA was overrated coming into the year and UNC was underrated. Wasn’t surprised at all to see them take that series. UVA doesn’t have the pop in their lineup they need to be a real force, but their pitching and defense will keep them in most games. UNC has a legit ace (Love) on Fridays and a decent bullpen. Their bats will come around bc they’re young. We should be worried about them bc we play in Chapel Hill. Also GT can rake. They are legit. It’ll be a wild year. If we don’t figure it out, yes it could get ugly. Or we could start putting it together and run away with it. We are the most talented team, but fundamentally we just aren’t there.

UVA was overrated coming into the year and UNC was underrated. Wasn’t surprised at all to see them take that series. UVA doesn’t have the pop in their lineup they need to be a real force, but their pitching and defense will keep them in most games. UNC has a legit ace (Love) on Fridays and a decent bullpen. Their bats will come around bc they’re young. We should be worried about them bc we play in Chapel Hill. Also GT can rake. They are legit. It’ll be a wild year. If we don’t figure it out, yes it could get ugly. Or we could start putting it together and run away with it. We are the most talented team, but fundamentally we just aren’t there.

which makes me want to throw up.

remember what a wise man once said .....

Baseball is a Simple Game .....

The way the smug Hokies did that synchronized kneebends after that homer made me want to puke, but you can't say they lack "chemistry". Never was much for the Dancing and chain gimmicks, but maybe team chemistry and spirit could use a bit of a boost, and might help matters?

Advertisement
The way the smug Hokies did that synchronized kneebends after that homer made me want to puke, but you can't say they lack "chemistry". Never was much for the Dancing and chain gimmicks, but maybe team chemistry and spirit could use a bit of a boost, and might help matters?
And allowing them to be around each other in the dugout as a team? Thought I heard Wicho say we were taking a more conservative approach to social distancing than VT. Sure hope that changes soon. We definitely need some more fire during these games.

Miami Lacked fire and gino mismanaged Sunday (removing Toral and playing for one run in the sixth). I think you'll see garland/smith in 6/7th innings going forward. Fed it's obviously not a number one but I think he stays put for now.

I was pretty sure this weekend that we could have faced 98% off speed stuff and not tallied a single hit...that is how poorly prepared they appeared to be to face pitchers with good curves and/or change ups.
It all seems to be there approach to hitting. Most of these guys just try to hit fastballs rather than focusing on location.

Every year I post the same hitting drills that UM appears to not to use. I was taught this drill in high school and I used it regularly when I played D-1 baseball in college.

From the video, the inside tee represents a fastball. The outside tee represents a curveball. Notice where the tees are placed. The inside tee is forward and the outside tee is back. This teaches you perfect mechanics as you should hit the inside pitch out in front of the place. The offspeed and ouside ptiches should be hit towards the middle of the plate. The #1 mistake I see hitters make is trying to hit the cureball out in front of the plate. They don't even come close to hitting the ball because you lose plate coverage when your front shoulder opens up. When you hit the outside pitch towards the middle of the plate it keeps the front shoulder closed where you can drive the ball to the opposite field gap. This is what we call "letting the pitch get deep." Alows you to see the ball a split second more which is the difference of seeing the curveball dip after it's apex and it keeps the shoulder and hips closed for power.

With a person behind you calling out pitches, it keeps you from cheating by opening up the shoulder and hips too soon. This by far is the best hitting drill.

With 2 strikes, all hitters should take the outside hitting approach and just think I'm going to hit the ball opposite field because 9/10 times the pitcher is going to throw a fastball outside or a curveball that winds up outside.

If you have a son or daughter playing baseball or softball, this is the drill I'd teach.

For eye and hand coordination along with timing, I'd use the bounce drill. It simulates the arc and speed of an off speed pitch. It teach the hitter timing and to drive the ball from the inside portion of the ball.

Ironically, the U of Louisville hitting coach in the video below shows the same mistake that most of the UM hitters make on off speed pitches.

It all seems to be there approach to hitting. Most of these guys just try to hit fastballs rather than focusing on location.

Every year I post the same hitting drills that UM appears not to use. I was taught this drill in high school and I used when I played D-1 baseball in college.

From the video, the inside tee represents a fastball. The outside tee represents a curveball. Notice where the tees are placed. The inside tee is forward and the outside tee is back. This teaches you perfect mechanics as you should hit the inside pitch out in front of the place. The offspeed and ouside ptiches should be hit towards the middle of the plate. The #1 mistake I see hitters make is trying to hit the cureball out in front of the plate. They don't even come close to hitting the ball because you lose plate coverage when you front shoulder opens up. When you hit the outside pitch towards the middle/back of the plate it keeps the front shoulder closed where you can drive the ball to the opposite field gap. This is what we call "letting the pitch get deep." Alows you to see the ball a split second more which is the difference of seeing the curveball dip after it's apex and it keros the shoulder and hips closed for power.

With a person behind you calling out pitches, it keeps you from cheating by opening up the shoulder and hips too soon. This by far the best hitting drill.

With 2 strikes, all hitters should take the outside hitting approach and just think I'm going to hit the ball opposite field because 9/10 the pitcher is going to throw a fastball outside or a curveball that winds up outside.

If you have a son or daughter playing baseball or softball, this is the drill I'd teach.

For eye and hand coordination along with timing, I'd use the bounce drill. It simulates the arc and speed of an off speed pitch. It teach the hitter timing and to drive the ball from the inside portion of the ball.

Ironically, the U of Louisville hitting coach in the video below shows the same mistake that most of the UM hitters make on off speed pitches.

This is a great drill, but idk that that’s our problem. We seem to guess 95% of the time unless our guys are in plus counts. When you’re guessing it doesn’t matter what or where the pitch is, if you guess wrong it isn’t going to work out. Toral and Gil are some of the worst guessers I’ve ever seen at this level.

Advertisement
Back