Vintage Miami Hurricanes Gear

Advertisement
Sorry, boomer. It was there in the late 80s and early 90s when I was alive to remember it now.
Nah....The player inside the U started in the 70s. People from the 80s & 90s seldom had that particular Logo on a hat or shirt. The were wayyy more prevalent from 72-82

The Football player in the middle of the U was before the late 80s, early 90s..

Yep, heaviest in the 1970s and early 1980s. But it was still there a bit into the late 1980s until the Nike merch took over in the 1990s.

I enrolled at UM in 1986. I would still see the "player inside the logo" on stuff inside of the Hecht, more than on t-shirts at AllSports (later AllCanes).

Also, Bill Bodenhamer was an alum of my fraternity.

Miami athletics had gone through several years of uniform and helmet changes, with inconsistent logos ranging from an M to UM. The Athletic Federation—now the Hurricane Club, the student-athlete scholarship fund—commissioned a logo re-design that brought about the split-U logo in 1973.

The athletic department was looking for something that would symbolize the University of Miami without having to say those words, according to Evelyn Schwartz, a former assistant athletic director with the Athletic Federation. The letters UM were not enough because they could have represented many other schools.

Miami-bred publicist Julian Cole, who was the first graduate of UM’s radio and television department, worked with graphic artist Bill Bodenhamer to develop the green and orange split-U logo.

In the middle of the U, different images for each sport were inserted, like a baseball player, football player or tennis player. The U was then used for slogans like “U gotta believe,” “U is great,” and “U is moving forward.”

Both Cole and Bodenhamer have since passed away but their legacy lives on. They designed not only the U but also the Miami Dolphins logo.

“If you think about it, it was quite a stretch,” said Lisa Cole, one of Julian’s daughters. “They took the U and said, ‘This is the university.’”

Schwartz said that the Athletic Federation ultimately wanted people who saw the split-U to automatically think of the University of Miami.

“Beyond our wildest dreams, this is what happened,” Schwartz said.

Yep, heaviest in the 1970s and early 1980s. But it was still there a bit into the late 1980s until the Nike merch took over in the 1990s.

I enrolled at UM in 1986. I would still see the "player inside the logo" on stuff inside of the Hecht, more than on t-shirts at AllSports (later AllCanes).

Also, Bill Bodenhamer was an alum of my fraternity.

Miami athletics had gone through several years of uniform and helmet changes, with inconsistent logos ranging from an M to UM. The Athletic Federation—now the Hurricane Club, the student-athlete scholarship fund—commissioned a logo re-design that brought about the split-U logo in 1973.

The athletic department was looking for something that would symbolize the University of Miami without having to say those words, according to Evelyn Schwartz, a former assistant athletic director with the Athletic Federation. The letters UM were not enough because they could have represented many other schools.

Miami-bred publicist Julian Cole, who was the first graduate of UM’s radio and television department, worked with graphic artist Bill Bodenhamer to develop the green and orange split-U logo.

In the middle of the U, different images for each sport were inserted, like a baseball player, football player or tennis player. The U was then used for slogans like “U gotta believe,” “U is great,” and “U is moving forward.”

Both Cole and Bodenhamer have since passed away but their legacy lives on. They designed not only the U but also the Miami Dolphins logo.

“If you think about it, it was quite a stretch,” said Lisa Cole, one of Julian’s daughters. “They took the U and said, ‘This is the university.’”

Schwartz said that the Athletic Federation ultimately wanted people who saw the split-U to automatically think of the University of Miami.

“Beyond our wildest dreams, this is what happened,” Schwartz said.
Yeah, I remember seeing the logo with the guy catching a football on TV broadcasts when I was younger. I'm not old enough to remember watching much football before the late 80's.

Advertisement
I've gotten a couple of tees from vintage brand. Ibis with the pipe, bandage and teeth and one with palm trees bent in the strong wind. They have held up well though I've only worn and laundered them less than 5 times but I usually find the lesser quality items start to go bad after a few launderings

This bad boy is going on 30 years and many many memories later.

2A3FF5DB-39AC-46A4-9F15-553F0A87A34D.png

This bad boy is going on 30 years and many many memories later.

View attachment 242293

I had a good friend when I was at UM Law, he had a white version of that hat that looked like it had been in an industrial accident. He was still rocking it in 1996. Gonna have to check with him sometime to see if he still has that hat.

I'll bet that @Canesfreak knows who I'm talking about, the guy was the Editor-in-Chief of UM Inter-American Law Review.

Advertisement
Back