Video: Porter With A Mini Malek Young Interview

Advertisement
Only took forcing several guys to play with spinal injuries before the training staff learned the symptoms. Glad to see Malek is healing and in good spirits

Based on some other comments you've made I'm afraid to even ask for additional specific details. I will ask two more general things though:

1) Was there sarcasm in your comment or do you think there was some sort of modification of procedures/awareness that allowed them to "catch" Malek's injury?

2) Do you guys sign any medical liability waivers before being allowed to be on the team? I never really thought of it (especially with contact sports).

Advertisement
Based on some other comments you've made I'm afraid to even ask for additional specific details. I will ask two more general things though:

1) Was there sarcasm in your comment or do you think there was some sort of modification of procedures/awareness that allowed them to "catch" Malek's injury?

2) Do you guys sign any medical liability waivers before being allowed to be on the team? I never really thought of it (especially with contact sports).

1) Yes it was sarcasm as far as their medical knowledge. I won't talk about the few other players' instances since it is their business but I'll talk about mine. In spring ball 2 years ago I injured by back getting tackled from behind and whip-lashed. It hurt for a few days but then my leg started going numb in practice. My dad has a history with disc issues so I knew then I had done something to a disc. I was told repeatedly by the head athletic trainer that I pulled a muscle. The head physical therapist, which requires a more advanced degree, the assistant physical therapist, and every student trainer all told me I had something wrong with a disc. Unfortunately our head athletic trainer is #1 in control and has an Assistant Athletic Director title so he has power in the school. A doctor came in and checked me out after a practice and told me to get an MRI and that he believed I had a disc problem. I had 3 scheduled MRI's canceled on me because of our head athletic trainer's "busy schedule" and incompetence and was told I had to still participate in practice during this time and was given muscle rub and some advil. I was also told by him that I wasn't taking rehab seriously and that's why I wasn't healing, even though I had multiple hours of documented physical therapy every day. Finally I got in for an MRI and had 3 bulged discs and a fractured lumbar vertebrae, this was over 3 weeks after my initial injury. It took a long time but I was able to return and still play football, but I am still experiencing problems from it today.

2) Yes we sign waivers both before we start and then after our last game we sign a sheet saying we can continue to get healthcare for another 6 months or semester I can't remember which one. After that we're cut loose. I think I could have a negligence or malpractice claim with a good lawyer and the statute of limitations have not passed, but I at least wanted to get through school first and really don't think its worth the effort. Also I don't want to bring negative publicity to the school and want to have a positive working relationship going forward since I plan on still being a sports agent.

I thought this would be about an interview with a mini-me version of Young from the thread title and expected hilarity. False advertising.

Advertisement
1) Yes it was sarcasm as far as their medical knowledge. I won't talk about the few other players' instances since it is their business but I'll talk about mine. In spring ball 2 years ago I injured by back getting tackled from behind and whip-lashed. It hurt for a few days but then my leg started going numb in practice. My dad has a history with disc issues so I knew then I had done something to a disc. I was told repeatedly by the head athletic trainer that I pulled a muscle. The head physical therapist, which requires a more advanced degree, the assistant physical therapist, and every student trainer all told me I had something wrong with a disc. Unfortunately our head athletic trainer is #1 in control and has an Assistant Athletic Director title so he has power in the school. A doctor came in and checked me out after a practice and told me to get an MRI and that he believed I had a disc problem. I had 3 scheduled MRI's canceled on me because of our head athletic trainer's "busy schedule" and incompetence and was told I had to still participate in practice during this time and was given muscle rub and some advil. I was also told by him that I wasn't taking rehab seriously and that's why I wasn't healing, even though I had multiple hours of documented physical therapy every day. Finally I got in for an MRI and had 3 bulged discs and a fractured lumbar vertebrae, this was over 3 weeks after my initial injury. It took a long time but I was able to return and still play football, but I am still experiencing problems from it today.

2) Yes we sign waivers both before we start and then after our last game we sign a sheet saying we can continue to get healthcare for another 6 months or semester I can't remember which one. After that we're cut loose. I think I could have a negligence or malpractice claim with a good lawyer and the statute of limitations have not passed, but I at least wanted to get through school first and really don't think its worth the effort. Also I don't want to bring negative publicity to the school and want to have a positive working relationship going forward since I plan on still being a sports agent.

I think you should talk to someone at the U about this, perhaps the HC. They should take injuries more seriously.

I think you should talk to someone at the U about this, perhaps the HC. They should take injuries more seriously.

Coach Dugans chewed him out at the time which helped. The problem is the Athletic Director title which provides a lot of protection and can make it more difficult for any change to occur. I am considering reaching out to Blake James though.

Coach Dugans chewed him out at the time which helped. The problem is the Athletic Director title which provides a lot of protection and can make it more difficult for any change to occur. I am considering reaching out to Blake James though.

You should. It sounds like others on the staff stare your views. That should help. As a parent, I would want that dude fired.

Inform them formally and privately, or sue them publicly - either will help change the deptartmemt. However, putting this out there on a public forum can damage them publicly, won’t help you, and likely won’t create change. My advice is do something and don’t wait.

Advertisement
Inform them formally and privately, or sue them publicly - either will help change the deptartmemt. However, putting this out there on a public forum can damage them publicly, won’t help you, and likely won’t create change. My advice is do something and don’t wait.

As an attorney, "suing them" would be incredibly dumb. You'd lose and it would be pointless.

Reaching out to Blake, Richt, or someone at UM is a far better idea.

Advertisement
I have no desire to sue them

You're obviously a smart measured kid but I wouldn't drop this. Legal recourse isn't the way to go at all but you should definitely speak to James about your entire episode so at minimum they explore Scavo's role/power in conflicting with or delaying the advice of actual doctors. Without us even know Scavo's side (if there is one), their system isn't working properly if your situation caused Dugans to blow up over it.

Best poster on the boards.

I have no desire to sue them

I feel bad for you.

Knowing several people that have been walkons on other teams, they pretty much get treated like disposable meat everywhere, and that may be part of it. Nonetheless, you are entitled to competent medical care.

I agree with the other posters here that you and the program would be best served by discussing this up the chain of command, if you can get access. Easier said than done, I know.

Advertisement
Back