VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION ***WARNING*** The 24' QB situation

Well, I did say it would be unpopular. Also, let's see the revisionist history around here when most of what I'm claiming happens. Basically, it plays out like I've said (unless we get a stud in the portal) or Mario's death spiral will have started and I'm good with either.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying they're fine with being proven wrong and stupid.

Like, sorry, but that's what this is.

Advertisement
dont care lol GIF

I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying they're fine with being proven wrong and stupid.

Like, sorry, but that's what this is.
And, if that were the case, you'd have a point. What I've stated hasn't been disproven and we have a long way to go to finalize any of this.

So, forgiven, but yeah, this is what it is until proven otherwise.

It is unpopular but I agree with you. The only reasons our offense sucks is because of Mario and Dawson. They both are a major hinderence to the development of our QB's.

I got bad news for you. George is our #2 next year. ST will again be a problem bc it won’t be addressed and a ST coach won’t be hired.

So the bowl game in many ways was a preview, not an exception.
Besides the blocked put in the bowl game please explain to me how ST was a problem this year?

KO Return - one of the best in the country
Punt Return - average

Punting - very good with 42 yd net average ... nearly the same as with big Lou
FG Kicking - very good bordering excellent

KO/Punt Coverage - very good

PS: we have a former NFL special teams coach running our special teams as an analyst

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we go in to next season with what we have in the QB room we’re a sprained finger away from not winning any games. To continue with the high ranking recruiting classes and retaining players from the portal we have to win games and that just ain’t happening with what we have now.

Plus money?

If we’re plus money pregame even @ the Swamp, Mario has horribly struck out at QB and in the portal. UF’s roster is decimated.

I expect -3.5/-4. We should be a touchdown favorite on a neutral field against that atrocity of a roster.
Save up for that bet then. Mertz is a better QB than anyone on our roster. At the Swamp. Barring a transfer QB that moves the needle coming to Miami, the game probably opens with UF under a FG favorite. My guess is UF -1.5.

Miami’s roster isn’t exactly elite. DB room as a whole is thin. Safety depth is non existent. LB room is decent, not great. WR room is average. I like missing 2 starters. TE room is decent (not that it matters in this offense anyway). D line talent is either young or coming off injury. Ok to solid additions from the portal. Nothing that makes you go wow. RB room is slightly above average. QB room is a disaster.

Absolutely ******* not. We shouldn't be winning eight.

Of course it should be, and it starts with supplying the most important position in football with the best possible talent.

Doesn't make any difference if we don't sell our run game well.

what the ****

that "if" is so big, its highly unlikely

HUH????

that was the defense and the run game being forced through both teams teeth whilst both committed a stupid load of errors to keep us in it

what is happening here

i usually respect your posts, but im sorry, that was just... what the ****

This more calm and reasonable 2024 @Bender is off to a strong start!

Advertisement
Save up for that bet then. Mertz is a better QB than anyone on our roster. At the Swamp. Barring a transfer QB that moves the needle coming to Miami, the game probably opens with UF under a FG favorite. My guess is UF -1.5.

Miami’s roster isn’t exactly elite. DB room as a whole is thin. Safety depth is non existent. LB room is decent, not great. WR room is average. I like missing 2 starters. TE room is decent (not that it matters in this offense anyway). D line talent is either young or coming off injury. Ok to solid additions from the portal. Nothing that makes you go wow. RB room is slightly above average. QB room is a disaster.

Can the Board agree that if we lose that game, Mario should stay in Gainesville?

I already have responses lined up for the people that hint they miss TVD
IMG_0401.jpeg

So much to believe in
We were lost in time
Everything I needed
I fell into your eyes
Always thought of keepin'
Your heart next to mine
But now that seems so far away
Don't know how love could leave without a trace
Where do silent hearts go?
Where does my heart beat now?

Besides the blocked put in the bowl game please explain to me how ST was a problem this year?

KO Return - one of the best in the country
Punt Return - average

Punting - very good with 42 yd net average ... nearly the same as with big Lou
FG Kicking - very good bordering excellent

KO/Punt Coverage - very good
-Tied for 100th in the country giving up
3 blocked kicks
-Tied for 120th in the country giving up 2 blocked punts
-91st in the country at kickoff return defense (average yards given up per return)
-74th in the country at punt return defense

I believe 3 lost fumbles on punt/kick returns and 5 muffed kicks

The only positives
-40th in net punting
-13th in kick returns
-Borregales

Advertisement
I'll say this - on paper, I don't know who we will lose to, but I just know that Mario won't take a knee or will misuse TO's or something, so he will drop 2 games. If you were to hand this roster as is to DeBoer, Harbaugh, Lane, etc., you're probably looking at a perfect regular season.
Did you watch the same bowl game as me?
Miami is soft up the middle with what is on the roster. The DT position was gashed, with not much help behind from the safeties. The middle of the OL also looked weak and they were bullied more than a few times on passing downs. They barely got any push on designed running plays. The receivers outside of X barely got separation, and does Miami even have a receiving tight end anymore? That is not a perfect season-type team, regardless of coach.

Did you watch the same bowl game as me?
Miami is soft up the middle with what is on the roster. The DT position was gashed, with not much help behind from the safeties. The middle of the OL also looked weak and they were bullied more than a few times on passing downs. They barely got any push on designed running plays. The receivers outside of X barely got separation, and does Miami even have a receiving tight end anymore? That is not a perfect season-type team, regardless of coach.
The two portal DT's are much bigger than the portal DT's from last year. We have 2 stud DE's returning and an overall thickening of the DL.

Advertisement
Let me bury the lead and just say - I don't believe our fortunes will rise or fall with a stud QB transfer. I think if we rock into this coming season with the QB's that we already have, we will be fine and "should" win 10 games.

Would I love to get a stud from the portal who can help us ascend and rise again like the Phoenix this coming season? Who wouldn't, right???

I do think this coming season should be a 10-win game minimum (9 wins is on the razor's edge of whether or not Mario is gonna succeed here), and we will hopefully, be building for the future.

All indications are that we will own the trenches in all 12 games coming up in 24'. If we own the LOS in all 12 games, unless we have a spectacular meltdown or another Guinness Book of World Records on injuries in a season, and we retain Guidry for at least this coming season, we should win 5/6 of those games. Couple that with next season being the easiest we've seen in a long time and there you go.

Emory or JB11? I believe either of them should be able to win 10 games here in 24'. Additionally, this will be Dawson's make it or break it year. Many on CIS have already given up on Dawson and in a Lee Corso way, I must say, "Not so fast, my friend!" Mario will have a lot of developing to do himself this offseason and if he allows Dawson to really dial things up for the whole season, and have a QB that doesn't go into a shell (ex. TVD), he should be fine here.

JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.

If we do get a stud QB in the portal, then I would say the playoffs are likely and the sky is the limit.

Another portal thought: if Malachi didn't make it at USC for acceptable reasons, and not because he actually sucks, then bring him in, bring him along and let him compete with the QB's on the roster.

Final thought: the big picture this year is not the playoffs, it's winning 10 games. We will have more talent and own the trenches (on paper) against all 12 regular season teams AND we play the Noles at home. Whoever is QBing this year will not make or break this team, and Mario needs to win 10 in the worst way, so get there by hook or crook. If Mario gets to 10 wins this year, especially if he does it without a stud QB, then I think he's actually gonna make it here for a while longer. If he underperforms again, regardless of who's taking snaps, then the death spiral will have started and he won't last past one more season.
I Love the optimism. Unfortunately we really suck bro. Look at how we win and how we lose. Its gross. We need that elite QB to even think about 10 wins. We've done it once in 20 years.

It just seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that a bunch of Miami folks have been on social media the past few days coping, trying to put on a brave face, and trying to convince themselves of something that deep down they know isn’t true. We were doing everything possible to find an elite QB from the portal, but now that we didn’t get one, they’re trying to make it sound like we have Caleb Williams already on our roster and we should have never been looking for a QB to begin with. Maybe JB or Emory Williams will look good next season. Maybe they’ll even be good enough to win us 10 games. I don’t like dealing in maybe’s, I like dealing in absolutes.

Advertisement
Back