VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION ***WARNING*** The 24' QB situation

Advertisement
I'm not a shill for JB, but let this sink in - if Jacolby doesn't drop an easy TD and the punt protection doesn't break down, leading to a TD, then the Canes win and JB logs in a W as starter. The bad things in that scenario were NOT JB.
I don't know why it keeps getting repeated that JB11 "threw a dime" and Jacolby "dropped" the pass.

It was slightly overthrown and COULD have been caught but went through the tips of his outstretched fingers. He could have made a better effort to catch it but let's not pretend it was a great throw and a flat out drop.

The punt was blocked AFTER JB11 made the wrong read (should have gone to the short side of the field which had two OL pulling) and then proceeded to make an inaccurate throw which led to the goaline punt fiasco.

Regardless, we had the ball with TOs and JB11 threw four 5 yd passes to the sideline.

Is he a Kirby Freeman disaster ... no. I hope he stays and continues to improve but let's not act like he was anything that we should feel remotely comfortable trotting out there in '24.

I should have stopped there. QB is the most important position and we desperately need one who’s better than what we have.
As I mentioned, I'd love for a stud QB to come in!

My point was/is if that doesn't happen, the sky is not falling and Mario certainly won't get a mulligan for not bringing in a stud portal QB. We should have a successful season, regardless of what happens in the portal.

We have a long time to wait, but I will remain optimistic until it's time to drop the optimism and wait a few more years for a competent coach.

I actually have written at length about this in this thread. Maybe I'm right/wrong, but you shouldn't be curious as to what I'm thinking if you've read everything that I wrote.
I was hoping there was some tangible evidence.

In the three games Started by Williams and/or Brown we went 1-2 and averaged under 180 yards passing per game.

Advertisement
I don't know why it keeps getting repeated that JB11 "threw a dime" and Jacolby "dropped" the pass.

It was slightly overthrown and COULD have been caught but went through the tips of his outstretched fingers. He could have made a better effort to catch it but let's not pretend it was a great throw and a flat out drop.

The punt was blocked AFTER JB11 made the wrong read (should have gone to the short side of the field which had two OL pulling) and then proceeded to make an inaccurate throw which led to the goaline punt fiasco.

Regardless, we had the ball with TOs and JB11 threw four 5 yd passes to the sideline.

Is he a Kirby Freeman disaster ... no. I hope he stays and continues to improve but let's not act like he was anything that we should feel remotely comfortable trotting out there in '24.
Man, you are reaching!!

You can repaint it all you like, but my statement is accurate.

Let me bury the lead and just say - I don't believe our fortunes will rise or fall with a stud QB transfer. I think if we rock into this coming season with the QB's that we already have, we will be fine and "should" win 10 games.

Would I love to get a stud from the portal who can help us ascend and rise again like the Phoenix this coming season? Who wouldn't, right???

I do think this coming season should be a 10-win game minimum (9 wins is on the razor's edge of whether or not Mario is gonna succeed here), and we will hopefully, be building for the future.

All indications are that we will own the trenches in all 12 games coming up in 24'. If we own the LOS in all 12 games, unless we have a spectacular meltdown or another Guinness Book of World Records on injuries in a season, and we retain Guidry for at least this coming season, we should win 5/6 of those games. Couple that with next season being the easiest we've seen in a long time and there you go.

Emory or JB11? I believe either of them should be able to win 10 games here in 24'. Additionally, this will be Dawson's make it or break it year. Many on CIS have already given up on Dawson and in a Lee Corso way, I must say, "Not so fast, my friend!" Mario will have a lot of developing to do himself this offseason and if he allows Dawson to really dial things up for the whole season, and have a QB that doesn't go into a shell (ex. TVD), he should be fine here.

JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.

If we do get a stud QB in the portal, then I would say the playoffs are likely and the sky is the limit.

Another portal thought: if Malachi didn't make it at USC for acceptable reasons, and not because he actually sucks, then bring him in, bring him along and let him compete with the QB's on the roster.

Final thought: the big picture this year is not the playoffs, it's winning 10 games. We will have more talent and own the trenches (on paper) against all 12 regular season teams AND we play the Noles at home. Whoever is QBing this year will not make or break this team, and Mario needs to win 10 in the worst way, so get there by hook or crook. If Mario gets to 10 wins this year, especially if he does it without a stud QB, then I think he's actually gonna make it here for a while longer. If he underperforms again, regardless of who's taking snaps, then the death spiral will have started and he won't last past one more season.

“JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.“

No Way Wow GIF

What kind of Film are you watching?

Advertisement
Let me bury the lead and just say - I don't believe our fortunes will rise or fall with a stud QB transfer. I think if we rock into this coming season with the QB's that we already have, we will be fine and "should" win 10 games.
Absolutely ******* not. We shouldn't be winning eight.

I do think this coming season should be a 10-win game minimum (9 wins is on the razor's edge of whether or not Mario is gonna succeed here), and we will hopefully, be building for the future.
Of course it should be, and it starts with supplying the most important position in football with the best possible talent.

All indications are that we will own the trenches in all 12 games coming up in 24'.
Doesn't make any difference if we don't sell our run game well.

Emory or JB11? I believe either of them should be able to win 10 games here in 24'.
what the ****

Mario will have a lot of developing to do himself this offseason and if he allows Dawson to really dial things up for the whole season, and have a QB that doesn't go into a shell (ex. TVD), he should be fine here.
that "if" is so big, its highly unlikely

JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).
HUH????

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.
that was the defense and the run game being forced through both teams teeth whilst both committed a stupid load of errors to keep us in it

Whoever is QBing this year will not make or break this team
what is happening here

i usually respect your posts, but im sorry, that was just... what the ****

“JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.“

No Way Wow GIF

That's the best you got?? Holy shnikies!!!

Advertisement
Absolutely ******* not. We shouldn't be winning eight.

Of course it should be, and it starts with supplying the most important position in football with the best possible talent.

Doesn't make any difference if we don't sell our run game well.

what the ****

that "if" is so big, its highly unlikely

HUH????

that was the defense and the run game being forced through both teams teeth whilst both committed a stupid load of errors to keep us in it

what is happening here

i usually respect your posts, but im sorry, that was just... what the ****
Well, I did say it would be unpopular. Also, let's see the revisionist history around here when most of what I'm claiming happens. Basically, it plays out like I've said (unless we get a stud in the portal) or Mario's death spiral will have started and I'm good with either.

This team couldn’t beat Rutgers but is going to win 10 games with our current QB situation…make it make sense
...because every team is the same year in and year out. Same roster, schedule, coaches, no one gets older or moves on, we're all locked into a Brigadoon situation....

Advertisement

No Way Wow GIF

Bored Rick And Morty GIF

******* idiotic takes/threads deserve less.

Your thought process and takes is exactly the process this administration and coaching has exhibited the last 20 years. Am I supposed to endorse this line of thinking?
I love that this has you all lathered up!!! We just need to ladle out the same inane drivel you offer up on the regular.

Advertisement
Back