VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION ***WARNING*** The 24' QB situation

Im confused. So you’re now saying those “who gives a **** about 5 yards” do matter? Or they still don’t? Bc all I did was prove they do matter.
You "proved" 5 yards is worth less than a quarter of a point so over the entirety of the season the difference between being #25 in punt return yards allowed and our #74 equated to 1.5 points on the entire 13 game season.

Next you're going to claim the half a yard difference in net punting from last year to this year was some major flaw in special teams too.

You're just posting nonsense at this point so we'll just agree to disagree.

Advertisement
Please ban this FSU fan! JB played in 1 game against a poor Rutgers team and we lost! Will he develop to be better in 25, I bet my wife on it! If we do not bring in a QB of quality, we will be debating and defeated with another 7-5 or an 8-4 record!
Lol he’s not a nole

You "proved" 5 yards is worth less than a quarter of a point so over the entirety of the season the difference between being #25 in punt return yards allowed and our #74 equated to 1.5 points on the entire 13 game season.

Next you're going to claim the half a yard difference in net punting from last year to this year was some major flaw in special teams too.

You're just posting nonsense at this point so we'll just agree to disagree.
I guess you didn’t read what I typed. It’s .2 to .25 points per DRIVE. That 1.5 to 2 points are per GAME. So 20-26 free points for the season. That’s the difference 5 yards makes.

If you watched Miami’s offense, you would know they can’t afford to give up any free points. So yea it’s kind of important to get better at ST’s.

Advertisement
Are we arguing about special teams in a QB thread? Seems about right for CIS
It matters. Every single phase of the game matters even more than it should when Mario is your HC. The margin for error is minimal. Every single yard given up on kickoffs or punts could be the difference between winning and losing. When you’re down 7 with 10 minutes left and it takes 5 minutes for your team to drive the field, that couple yards could be the difference between the other teams kicking a FG and ending the game or punting. Acting like this team can afford to give away even a single free point a game is ridiculous.

Let me bury the lead and just say - I don't believe our fortunes will rise or fall with a stud QB transfer. I think if we rock into this coming season with the QB's that we already have, we will be fine and "should" win 10 games.

Would I love to get a stud from the portal who can help us ascend and rise again like the Phoenix this coming season? Who wouldn't, right???

I do think this coming season should be a 10-win game minimum (9 wins is on the razor's edge of whether or not Mario is gonna succeed here), and we will hopefully, be building for the future.

All indications are that we will own the trenches in all 12 games coming up in 24'. If we own the LOS in all 12 games, unless we have a spectacular meltdown or another Guinness Book of World Records on injuries in a season, and we retain Guidry for at least this coming season, we should win 5/6 of those games. Couple that with next season being the easiest we've seen in a long time and there you go.

Emory or JB11? I believe either of them should be able to win 10 games here in 24'. Additionally, this will be Dawson's make it or break it year. Many on CIS have already given up on Dawson and in a Lee Corso way, I must say, "Not so fast, my friend!" Mario will have a lot of developing to do himself this offseason and if he allows Dawson to really dial things up for the whole season, and have a QB that doesn't go into a shell (ex. TVD), he should be fine here.

JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.

If we do get a stud QB in the portal, then I would say the playoffs are likely and the sky is the limit.

Another portal thought: if Malachi didn't make it at USC for acceptable reasons, and not because he actually sucks, then bring him in, bring him along and let him compete with the QB's on the roster.

Final thought: the big picture this year is not the playoffs, it's winning 10 games. We will have more talent and own the trenches (on paper) against all 12 regular season teams AND we play the Noles at home. Whoever is QBing this year will not make or break this team, and Mario needs to win 10 in the worst way, so get there by hook or crook. If Mario gets to 10 wins this year, especially if he does it without a stud QB, then I think he's actually gonna make it here for a while longer. If he underperforms again, regardless of who's taking snaps, then the death spiral will have started and he won't last past one more season.
I agree with you on most of your points but there’s many unknowns to believe we can get 10 wins next season. I want to believe it’s possible because our schedule isn’t that bad but let’s think..🤔 Emory is coming off injury and might need some time to come back. Jacurri has improved but still needs work throwing fades from what I’ve seen. He threw some dimes in the bowl game but another year is needed in my humble opinion. Defense looks loaded on Paper but it’s still up in the air. With Messidor being and staying healthy is Key to get pressure also will the corners and Safeties be better than this past season? Hope so! But realistically we are still one year away from truly making some noise. I’ll take it if we win 10+games with the Qb’s on the roster but we definitely need a game managing experienced Qb. I pray for Howard to circle back and choose Miami. Because that kid is the goods. Even better than Ward in my humble opinion. Blessings brother 🙏🏾and thanks for this thread

Let me bury the lead and just say - I don't believe our fortunes will rise or fall with a stud QB transfer. I think if we rock into this coming season with the QB's that we already have, we will be fine and "should" win 10 games.

Would I love to get a stud from the portal who can help us ascend and rise again like the Phoenix this coming season? Who wouldn't, right???

I do think this coming season should be a 10-win game minimum (9 wins is on the razor's edge of whether or not Mario is gonna succeed here), and we will hopefully, be building for the future.

All indications are that we will own the trenches in all 12 games coming up in 24'. If we own the LOS in all 12 games, unless we have a spectacular meltdown or another Guinness Book of World Records on injuries in a season, and we retain Guidry for at least this coming season, we should win 5/6 of those games. Couple that with next season being the easiest we've seen in a long time and there you go.

Emory or JB11? I believe either of them should be able to win 10 games here in 24'. Additionally, this will be Dawson's make it or break it year. Many on CIS have already given up on Dawson and in a Lee Corso way, I must say, "Not so fast, my friend!" Mario will have a lot of developing to do himself this offseason and if he allows Dawson to really dial things up for the whole season, and have a QB that doesn't go into a shell (ex. TVD), he should be fine here.

JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.

If we do get a stud QB in the portal, then I would say the playoffs are likely and the sky is the limit.

Another portal thought: if Malachi didn't make it at USC for acceptable reasons, and not because he actually sucks, then bring him in, bring him along and let him compete with the QB's on the roster.

Final thought: the big picture this year is not the playoffs, it's winning 10 games. We will have more talent and own the trenches (on paper) against all 12 regular season teams AND we play the Noles at home. Whoever is QBing this year will not make or break this team, and Mario needs to win 10 in the worst way, so get there by hook or crook. If Mario gets to 10 wins this year, especially if he does it without a stud QB, then I think he's actually gonna make it here for a while longer. If he underperforms again, regardless of who's taking snaps, then the death spiral will have started and he won't last past one more season.
Early attempt at gaining rep for slurper of the year. 😆

Early attempt at gaining rep for slurper of the year. 😆
Mr Slave Gay GIF by South Park

Advertisement
Fairly poorly coached unit. It was obvious. We are just lucky to have such good kickers.

PR was garbage. The only good thing was we fielded the ball well. And consistently inside the 10yd line.

We don't even have a special teams coordinator. That's how Broball we are.
I Agree, IAgree!!! 😂🤣😄🙂😕🙁☹️😞😣😖Fooock!

I guess you didn’t read what I typed. It’s .2 to .25 points per DRIVE. That 1.5 to 2 points are per GAME. So 20-26 free points for the season. That’s the difference 5 yards makes.

If you watched Miami’s offense, you would know they can’t afford to give up any free points. So yea it’s kind of important to get better at ST’s.
I haven't taken statistics in a long time but you're 100% misinterpreting the data.

We gave up 82 yards all season on punt returns so your 20-26 points is utterly ridiculous.

Advertisement
If we don't get a good QB in the portal, which seems likely, I see the ceiling next year to be the 2017 year *best case*. Like 2017, we'd need a lot of luck. But we can get to 9-10 wins. Unlike 2017 though, at least the QB will be coming back and has a higher ceiling than Malik did either way.

I haven't taken statistics in a long time but you're 100% misinterpreting the data.

We gave up 82 yards all season on punt returns so your 20-26 points is utterly ridiculous.
You’re misinterpreting what you said. You said “who gives a **** about a 5 yard difference between the top 25 teams and the 74th ranked teams” where we’re at. I explained why you should give a ****.

And I’ll reiterate, good job by Joyce and Borregales. But when they don’t do their jobs as best as they can, the other 10 guys do not help them out and are subpar. It’s bc they are poorly coached. And no Idc who coaches them. If the NFL guy was any good, he’d still be in the NFL.

Advertisement

I’d love to have some of whatever you’re drinking but I appreciate your optimism even if some is misplaced.

We don’t need a stud QB. We need our guy to be a true leader and a 65-70% guy with 20 and 5. I’m optimistic we will have that guy under center to start the year.

You’re misinterpreting what you said. You said “who gives a **** about a 5 yard difference between the top 25 teams and the 74th ranked teams” where we’re at. I explained why you should give a ****.

And I’ll reiterate, good job by Joyce and Borregales. But when they don’t do their jobs as best as they can, the other 10 guys do not help them out and are subpar. It’s bc they are poorly coached. And no Idc who coaches them. If the NFL guy was any good, he’d still be in the NFL.
It's 3 yds per punt return of which there were only 10 on the entire season. 30 yds difference on the entire season. It is irrelevant.

JB improved from last year to this year from what i saw. He gets to continue to develop for the next 9 months.
Should have been given game experience to further his development. He had four games he could have played in without blowing a year. Instead they trotted out a guy we needed to wrap in bubble wrap.

Advertisement
Back