VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION ***WARNING*** The 24' QB situation

bro i swear, a ****load amount of people in this world need some **** post nut clarity
I'm doing my best.

1727570365-ruxin39afme.gif

Advertisement
- I believe there were three blocked kicks in total (punt + FG).

- KO defense is a misleading stat. Borregales had 75% touchbacks and of the returned KOs the average was 20 yds per return.

- We gave up 82 yds in total on the season on punt returns and no TDs. Misleading stat.

Bottom line is special teams (other than the bowl game) were fine.
That’s not how this works. You can’t say a stat is misleading just bc it’s in the bottom half of the entire country.

If your assertions were correct, no team in America would be considered bad at ST.

That’s not how this works. You can’t say a stat is misleading just bc it’s in the bottom half of the entire country.

If your assertions were correct, no team in America would be considered bad at ST.
So your theory is if we kicked it into the endzone 99x out of 100 but that one return was for 35 yds, we'd technically be last in the country in KO return average allowed, and that isn't a misleading stat?

Who cares if we are 100th in average yards per Punt Return allowed if the grand total for the whole year was 82 yards?

- I believe there were three blocked kicks in total (punt + FG).

- KO defense is a misleading stat. Borregales had 75% touchbacks and of the returned KOs the average was 20 yds per return.

- We gave up 82 yds in total on the season on punt returns and no TDs. Misleading stat.

Bottom line is special teams (other than the bowl game) were fine.
Fairly poorly coached unit. It was obvious. We are just lucky to have such good kickers.

PR was garbage. The only good thing was we fielded the ball well. And consistently inside the 10yd line.

We don't even have a special teams coordinator. That's how Broball we are.

What regular season games did they get handled?
They were very good most of the year the highlight being clemson and am but unc did a good job against them even Georgia tech did right off the top of my head. But a lot of the struggles from the online was running formations and passing formations. They were predictable and vanilla for the most part

Advertisement
So your theory is if we kicked it into the endzone 99x out of 100 but that one return was for 35 yds, we'd technically be last in the country in KO return average allowed, and that isn't a misleading stat?

Who cares if we are 100th in average yards per Punt Return allowed if the grand total for the whole year was 82 yards?
You’re trying to combine punt and KO to prove your point. I pointed out PR defense as bad, but said net punting was a positive. So good job by Joyce on forcing fair catches and downing punts. Bad job by the coverage team.

KO return allowed over 300+ yards and was not good. Idc how many TBs Borregales had. When he didn’t, the coverage was bad.

Do we have a kicking coach that made Joyce and Borregales good at their jobs? Or are they just good players?

Bc when they don’t singularly, by themselves, do their job, the results from everyone else are subpar. You know why coverage is bad? Lack of coaching and lack of effort, which means poor or lack of coaching

Fairly poorly coached unit. It was obvious. We are just lucky to have such good kickers.

PR was garbage. The only good thing was we fielded the ball well. And consistently inside the 10yd line.

We don't even have a special teams coordinator. That's how Broball we are.
Nothing to actually back up your "obvious" bad special teams.

We have three analysts handling special teams including a former NFL special teams coordinator.

Not having a designated special teams coach allows us to have an extra coach in another area .... ie: Jason Taylor.

I guess Kirby Smart and Georgia are "BroBall" too since they use analysts for special teams and don't have an official "special teams coach".

You’re trying to combine punt and KO to prove your point. I pointed out PR defense as bad, but said net punting was a positive. So good job by Joyce on forcing fair catches and downing punts. Bad job by the coverage team.

KO return allowed over 300+ yards and was not good. Idc how many TBs Borregales had. When he didn’t, the coverage was bad.

Do we have a kicking coach that made Joyce and Borregales good at their jobs? Or are they just good players?

Bc when they don’t singularly, by themselves, do their job, the results from everyone else are subpar. You know why coverage is bad? Lack of coaching and lack of effort, which means poor or lack of coaching
PR defense gave up 82 yards the whole season. If that's a bad job by the coverage unit I'll take it.

Total KO yards is a useless stat. KO return defense allowed 20 or 21 yards per return on average. That's hardly bad.

Advertisement
PR defense gave up 82 yards the whole season. If that's a bad job by the coverage unit I'll take it.

Total KO yards is a useless stat. KO return defense allowed 20 or 21 yards per return on average. That's hardly bad.
So my previous post saying if your assertions are correct, nobody in America has a bad ST’s unit. Got it. Bc our rankings in those two departments are trash.

Like I said our punter and kicker did their jobs. Everybody else on those units, were subpar. Unless you can prove to me that our ST analyst teaches punting and/or kicking, they did not do a good job.

So my previous post saying if your assertions are correct, nobody in America has a bad ST’s unit. Got it. Bc our rankings in those two departments are trash.

Like I said our punter and kicker did their jobs. Everybody else on those units, were subpar. Unless you can prove to me that our ST analyst teaches punting and/or kicking, they did not do a good job.
The stats you brought up are irrelevant.

We kicked 75% of our kickoffs into the endzone for touch-backs and the 25% that were returned we only allowed 21.5 yards per return on average.

Who gives a **** if we were ranked #100 in KO return average allowed when the other team started at the 30 or worse on nearly every single KO we had.

As for punting we had 10 punts returned all season for 82 total yards. Yes were were #74 in the country but the #25 team average was 5 yds per return so who gives a **** about 32 total yards on the entire season between #74 and #25

Last edited:
Advertisement

We kicked 75% of our kickoffs into the endzone for touch-backs and the 25% that were returned we only allowed 21.5 yards per return on average.

Who gives a **** if we were ranked #100 in KO return average allowed when the other team started at the 30 or worse on nearly every single KO we had.

As for punting we had 10 punts returned all season for 82 total yards. Yes were were #74 in the country but the #25 team average was 5 yds per return so who gives a **** about 32 total yards on the entire season between #74 and #25
stats aside there were 4 punt issues that hurt is this year:

1) and 2) both vs TAMU (Punt fumble by George and blocked punt) that led to 14 points. We were lucky it didn’t hurt us - WIN

3) Keon Coleman punt return - Led to Semenholes winning TD - Loss

4) Blocked punt vs Rutgers - Loss

It’s an issue that needs to get fixed. Can’t recall if there were a few others or not.

I don't know why it keeps getting repeated that JB11 "threw a dime" and Jacolby "dropped" the pass.

It was slightly overthrown and COULD have been caught but went through the tips of his outstretched fingers. He could have made a better effort to catch it but let's not pretend it was a great throw and a flat out drop.

The punt was blocked AFTER JB11 made the wrong read (should have gone to the short side of the field which had two OL pulling) and then proceeded to make an inaccurate throw which led to the goaline punt fiasco.

Regardless, we had the ball with TOs and JB11 threw four 5 yd passes to the sideline.

Is he a Kirby Freeman disaster ... no. I hope he stays and continues to improve but let's not act like he was anything that we should feel remotely comfortable trotting out there in '24.
"let's not act like he was anything that we should feel remotely comfortable trotting out there in '24."

Lets not act like Tyler Van Dyke would have been any better, guaranteed 3 pics 4 sacks to Schiano's Rugters with that duck at the helm, thank the good Lord he is gone.

The swing and miss on Ward sucks and obviously I would like to bring in some type of competition for the QB room but I'd take Jacurri bleeding orange and green over TVD's patty cake pitty party every day of the week, kids actually got some grit just needs more developing and playing time.

In other words seeing Jacurri on the field was a fresh breath of air even if he didn't have the best game and the rest of the team slowly collapsed around him.

If you go from the your own 20 to the opponents 40, every 5 yards is worth about .2 to .25 points per drive. This is according to every non garbage drive in FBS vs FBS games from 07-22. When you’re looking at 12-16 drives per game, so 6-8 per team you’re giving up 1.5-2 PPG bc your coverage team sucks. So I would say any coach that doesn’t want to have to make up 1-2 points per game, gives a ****.

Advertisement
Let me bury the lead and just say - I don't believe our fortunes will rise or fall with a stud QB transfer. I think if we rock into this coming season with the QB's that we already have, we will be fine and "should" win 10 games.

Would I love to get a stud from the portal who can help us ascend and rise again like the Phoenix this coming season? Who wouldn't, right???

I do think this coming season should be a 10-win game minimum (9 wins is on the razor's edge of whether or not Mario is gonna succeed here), and we will hopefully, be building for the future.

All indications are that we will own the trenches in all 12 games coming up in 24'. If we own the LOS in all 12 games, unless we have a spectacular meltdown or another Guinness Book of World Records on injuries in a season, and we retain Guidry for at least this coming season, we should win 5/6 of those games. Couple that with next season being the easiest we've seen in a long time and there you go.

Emory or JB11? I believe either of them should be able to win 10 games here in 24'. Additionally, this will be Dawson's make it or break it year. Many on CIS have already given up on Dawson and in a Lee Corso way, I must say, "Not so fast, my friend!" Mario will have a lot of developing to do himself this offseason and if he allows Dawson to really dial things up for the whole season, and have a QB that doesn't go into a shell (ex. TVD), he should be fine here.

JB, showed me enough in the Pinstripe to make me think that he could take us to 10 wins, especially given that we will own the LOS in all 12 games (or at least do that on paper).

Although it seems many have discounted Emory's results, the dude led us to a victory against Clemson and brought us almost to victory against a fully loaded undefeated FSU team, playing in Doak. Again, I don't see why, if we own the trenches, he couldn't take us to 10 wins.

If we do get a stud QB in the portal, then I would say the playoffs are likely and the sky is the limit.

Another portal thought: if Malachi didn't make it at USC for acceptable reasons, and not because he actually sucks, then bring him in, bring him along and let him compete with the QB's on the roster.

Final thought: the big picture this year is not the playoffs, it's winning 10 games. We will have more talent and own the trenches (on paper) against all 12 regular season teams AND we play the Noles at home. Whoever is QBing this year will not make or break this team, and Mario needs to win 10 in the worst way, so get there by hook or crook. If Mario gets to 10 wins this year, especially if he does it without a stud QB, then I think he's actually gonna make it here for a while longer. If he underperforms again, regardless of who's taking snaps, then the death spiral will have started and he won't last past one more season.
Please ban this FSU fan! JB played in 1 game against a poor Rutgers team and we lost! Will he develop to be better in 25, I bet my wife on it! If we do not bring in a QB of quality, we will be debating and defeated with another 7-5 or an 8-4 record!

stats aside there were 4 punt issues that hurt is this year:

1) and 2) both vs TAMU (Punt fumble by George and blocked punt) that led to 14 points. We were lucky it didn’t hurt us - WIN

3) Keon Coleman punt return - Led to Semenholes winning TD - Loss

4) Blocked punt vs Rutgers - Loss

It’s an issue that needs to get fixed. Can’t recall if there were a few others or not.
Agree with this for the most part.

Can't fix stupid re: George dropping punts.

We offset one of the A&M blunders with our own KO return.

Blocked punt was poor coaching AND woeful effort by Lichenstein.

Coleman punt return I don't remember if it was bad design or just initial guy whiffing badly (Jaden Harris).

If you go from the your own 20 to the opponents 40, every 5 yards is worth about .2 to .25 points per drive. This is according to every non garbage drive in FBS vs FBS games from 07-22. When you’re looking at 12-16 drives per game, so 6-8 per team you’re giving up 1.5-2 PPG bc your coverage team sucks. So I would say any coach that doesn’t want to have to make up 1-2 points per game, gives a ****.
We allowed a grand total of 10 punt returns for a grand total of 82 yards on the entire season so whatever point you are trying to make here is nonsense.

We allowed a grand total of 10 punt returns for a grand total of 82 yards on the entire season so whatever point you are trying to make here is nonsense.
Im confused. So you’re now saying those “who gives a **** about 5 yards” do matter? Or they still don’t? Bc all I did was prove they do matter.

Advertisement
Back