Very Similar to 2013

Advertisement
This is 100% like the 2013.

2013 - 2017
---------------
- Beat instate rival that might not make a bowl game? Check!
13: Florida
17: Florida State

- One side of the ball that keeping us undefeated? Check!
13: Offense in '13
17: Defense in '17

- Is the side of the ball that is keeping you undefeated elite? No.
13: Offense was pretty solid with Duke but had a inconsistent passing Offense. Only made a lot of chunk plays offensively.
17: Defense is pretty solid but struggles mightily against the run. Poor tackling. Some head scratching schematic moves like running stunts ever play or blitzing on 3rd and long.

- Does the coaching staff seemingly gets out coached almost ever game? Yes.
13: Made every QB look like Peyton Manning. Poor play calling defensively. Soft D-line as if they weren't coached or as if they never picked up a dumbbell in their life. O-line at times would get handled to.
17: Make every RB look like Emmitt Smith running behind that Dallas Offensive line in the 90s. Poor play calling offensively. Soft O-line as if they weren't coached or as if they never picked up a dumbbell in their life. D-line at times would get handled to.

- Did the media actually believe in you as a title contender despite your hot start?
13: No.
17: No.

- What game did you realize the team was a fraud?
13: Almost losing to 4-3 Wake Forest (Ranked: 7th)
17: Almost losing to 1-7 UNC* (Ranked 8th) * = we'll see how the season ends to see how big of a fraud we are.

- What was your record before finally being exposed and to who?
13: 7-0, Florida State. The only good P5 team we played up until that point.
17: 7-0, Virginia Tech * First good P5 team we'll play to this point.

Pretty comparable.

With this model, we are set to lose to Pitt and UVA...

Interesting thread. I haven’t thought about this year like ‘13 before.

I think a big difference is that this team has been through losing and doesn’t like it. They now have a taste of winning and are learning how to keep winning. I never felt, nor did it ever show on the field, that any Goldy team had any tough mental makeup to grind out wins. We were always soft and, when punched in the mouth, never responded.

We don’t know what it ahead for this team, but it certainly seems like they are stronger mentally than previous coached teams...& that usually translates well on the field.

The Wake and UNC games were super close games won down the stretch if I’m not mistaken. Georgia tech too (although the score made it look like a blowout)

Interesting thread. I haven’t thought about this year like ‘13 before.

I think a big difference is that this team has been through losing and doesn’t like it. They now have a taste of winning and are learning how to keep winning. I never felt, nor did it ever show on the field, that any Goldy team had any tough mental makeup to grind out wins. We were always soft and, when punched in the mouth, never responded.

We don’t know what it ahead for this team, but it certainly seems like they are stronger mentally than previous coached teams...& that usually translates well on the field.

The Wake and UNC games were super close games won down the stretch if I’m not mistaken. Georgia tech too (although the score made it look like a blowout)

Yeah, u may be right.

It just seems as though those teams were very fragile emotional-wise. We seem to have some fire and some moxie this year. Again, I think we’re good, but not undefeated material (at the end of the year).

This team seems to have a genuine drive to win - unlike previous regimes where we’d find a way to lose.

Advertisement
You b****** can't wait for dis team to lose so you can cry and whine like women. This team ain't got da depth or talent to go to da playoffs or win da ACC yet ... but they giving us a great ride. I gonna enjoy it for what it is while it lasts.

Hey, wat it like to get yo drinks half price on ladies night?

Wrong. The Canes had a fraudulent corch in 2013. Richt is bona fide. Took him two tries to do what Golden couldn't do in 5 years - beat FSU. And in first year did what we hadn't done since 2008- win a bowl game. Richt wants to recruit an SEC sized OL with elite rb talent. And he is getting that. Starts with Donaldson and Lindgard. Once that is in place, we roll. Doesn't matter who is at QB. Only 4 more OL positions to go.

Advertisement
Wonder what the haters will come up with next after we beat VT.

They think the 2013 comparison is pretty clever right now

I see zero similarities to that 2013 team.

That 2013 team would be 4-3 right now.

We're not dominant but we can beat Virginia Tech and Notre Dame.

Talk to me when we lose

Advertisement
If you think this team has any resemblance of that 2013 you’re either high or you haven’t been following Canes Fb. Zero similarities. Zero

Tough, close wins through the first 6-7 games....then we played a top ranked FSU team and got killed.

Richt isn’t Golden.

But he needs to put a full game together.

These close games aren’t cool at all....

Vtech isn’t a joke. This is a game where we can truly show CFB we’re back.

Oh no, the "we're back" obsession.
We're back where?
What did we leave and when did we leave it?

Advertisement
We are 20 games in and we have yet to have one phase have a complete game. How long is it going to take get 2 phases?

Offense needs fresh new OC

Hartley needs to be relived of his ST coaching duties.

The special teams unit always finds a way to **** up after we get some momentum. Whether its a short kick or a shanked punt. Coverage and return team is trash

Complete game?

I'd settle for two quarters.

I hope you anti-2013 guys are right and this team is totally different from that 2013 team. However, there are plenty of similarities as the OP mentioned. 7-0, going to be ranked #7 . This time the game is at home though and VT is not the same as the Winston led FSU team in 2013. Still, I haven't seen 3 quarters of solid offense from this team in ACC conference play nor the defense being able to stop the run. If those trends continue, it will be a long 2 weeks coming.

I hope you anti-2013 guys are right and this team is totally different from that 2013 team. However, there are plenty of similarities as the OP mentioned. 7-0, going to be ranked #7 . This time the game is at home though and VT is not the same as the Winston led FSU team in 2013. Still, I haven't seen 3 quarters of solid offense from this team in ACC conference play nor the defense being able to stop the run. If those trends continue, it will be a long 2 weeks coming.

Yea. Plenty of folks misremembering that 2013 season.

We were undefeated, and riding the “just win, baby” train.

If you knew we would lose three straight at some point that season, I’ll just tip my cap to your football acumen.

I hated Golden just as much as the next guy...but I didn’t see that collapse coming.

Richt is a much better HC...I’m just saying we’re squeaking by each week...the same way we did in 2013. Today should’ve been a blowout...instead we needed a fumble recovery to truly put the game away against a 1-6 team playing their 3rd string QB

Advertisement
Back