Very OT

Advertisement
But it made getting space to get of the shot harder.
This. The space modern day shooters are able to operate in did not exist back then. Go back and watch some highlights of the great Bulls/Knicks series from that era. Players like Starks had their hands all over Michael for pretty much the entire 48 mins. Of course it's a foul if you're in the act of shooting, but it has a MASSIVE impact on jump shooters when not only is their space violated all the time, but they're constantly getting tugged and have hands all over them, even when they don't have the ball.

But I don't want to get into this debate again. It ran a pretty good course a few weeks back on another thread.

Pl

plus how many volume scorers have we had in the league b4..many. What Steph n klay has is a alltime great skill that they’ve honed. With Steph he is the greatest shooter of all time because of his handles. Klay is just unreal how he can get his shots up..so nah ****** wasn’t shooting like this.

Nobody said they were shooting like that.

They could have easily developed it if the style of play permitted it.

Guys are hitting more 25 foot 3s than ever because they won’t get benched for doing so.

I have watched the development of 3 point shooting all of my life. Guys are practicing it because they are allowed to do it.

The effect is there are hardly any clutch mid range shooters now.

The Warriors are going to come back down from 3-1 to win the finals just like the Cavs did in 2015-16.

This time it'll be Steph Curry playing the lead character in the valiant Warrior comeback series instead of Lebron.

It's literally the same **** script... Boost ratings & creates a great dramatic storyline for the fans & media.
After the first 2 games i felt like this was a Detroit and Lakers series all over again, where everyone picked the Lakers and Detroit bodied them. GS is the only team that can come out this hole but I still feel like the Raptors will take it in 7

After the first 2 games i felt like this was a Detroit and Lakers series all over again, where everyone picked the Lakers and Detroit bodied them. GS is the only team that can come out this hole but I still feel like the Raptors will take it in 7

I want to agree.

But there is too much room for the Raptors supporting cast to collapse.

All bets are off as far as I’m concerned. Either team winning is a coin flip to me. Even with Durant’s injury, Toronto can lay down and die with ease.

Advertisement
Nobody said they were shooting like that.

They could have easily developed it if the style of play permitted it.

Guys are hitting more 25 foot 3s than ever because they won’t get benched for doing so.

I have watched the development of 3 point shooting all of my life. Guys are practicing it because they are allowed to do it.

The effect is there are hardly any clutch mid range shooters now.
I don’t agree with that..the way you develop range properly is by starting in the mid range then venturing out further. So it’s not that it’s “lost art” as experts and analysts say. It’s just teams trading that shots in efficient value for the 3 point game..but to say guys would’ve automatically been able to shoot the shots that Steph n klay shoot at the same clip is not fair and undermines the pure abilities of those too..like you said In the 80’s n 90-00s the mid range game was more in play, but u still had guys like Kobe, wade, bigs like bosh or dirk who were head and shoulders above the rest in the mid range game..that’s the same with klay n step. What they do is special..I get what your saying. But ppl tryna mimick what the dubs are doing is wrong. Kids are in the gym and automatically practicing 3s skipping the steps it takes to develop range over time..I respect n get your point

I want to agree.

But there is too much room for the Raptors supporting cast to collapse.

All bets are off as far as I’m concerned. Either team winning is a coin flip to me. Even with Durant’s injury, Toronto can lay down and die with ease.
Now with my Knicks luck we get Durant and hes never the same guy, dont even know if we should pursue him now that injury is no joke

They also had defenders literally with their hands on them the entire game (which was legal). Steph's a phenomenal shooter, quite possibly the best shooter the game has ever seen, but he would not shoot the same % he does today if he played in the 80s and 90s. Fact.

That doesn’t change the fact he’s shooting deeper and more contested shots than any player ever. Yeah there’s no hand check and you can’t ddt a **** when he drives by you,but this guy is still in uncharted waters.

I mean the entire defense is watching him like no player I’ve seen. Literally all ten eyes are on him. Hence why Gs stays getting back door cuts and easy layups off his action. Players stay blowing coverage because he’s coming off a screen and they get dumb.

Then you have to respect him right when he hits mid court. Constant pressure.

Also , just like football the defenses/ offenses are for more sophisticated now,he’s seeing things no shooter ever saw. I mean Toronto ran a box and one defense , and a triangle in two. Just to have all ten eyes on ole boy.

Running a zone ( box in 1) with only man defense on Steph , that way they can all rotate to him if/when he kills defender.

In a league that NEVER uses that. That’s called “ emptying your bag”.

It’s just insane. For a skinny , 6’2 guy that’s not even that athletic ( by nba standards), it’s just straight “ basketball skill” killing mofos.

Like I said , I grew up a huge nba fan/ from 80’s on, there’s nobody in that cats world.

He’s a freak , once in a lifetime shooter.

Dray actually blocked it lol

Haha. I know. Made up for that insane backcourt that he committed just before. I still think Lowry needs to get a better shot off though. He looked wide open which is why most people didn't actually notice this:

Screenshot_20190611-145730_Twitter.jpg

Advertisement
I don’t agree with that..the way you develop range properly is by starting in the mid range then venturing out further. So it’s not that it’s “lost art” as experts and analysts say. It’s just teams trading that shots in efficient value for the 3 point game..but to say guys would’ve automatically been able to shoot the shots that Steph n klay shoot at the same clip is not fair and undermines the pure abilities of those too..like you said In the 80’s n 90-00s the mid range game was more in play, but u still had guys like Kobe, wade, bigs like bosh or dirk who were head and shoulders above the rest in the mid range game..that’s the same with klay n step. What they do is special..I get what your saying. But ppl tryna mimick what the dubs are doing is wrong. Kids are in the gym and automatically practicing 3s skipping the steps it takes to develop range over time..I respect n get your point

The nba is all spreading the court , putting shooters all around and spreading the d thin. Just like the spread offense in football.

Shoot more threes than twos , it’s all analytics.

The Warriors started this but strangely are the team in the finals every year. Because they still do it best , they have two guys who literally carry their offense by taking horrible , deep threes lol.

Imo they’re hurting basketball , because kids only shoot threes and think bad shots are ok. Because there’s two aliens out there in Oakland.

I’m nowhere near as big of a fan of this type of ball , but I respect the skill.

There’s just no physicality left , which is needed , to a “ degree”. Mid range is dead, while everyone wants the highlight play.

Baseball is in the same analytic ****, it’s either a home run or a strikeout

That doesn’t change the fact he’s shooting deeper and more contested shots than any player ever. Yeah there’s no hand check and you can’t ddt a **** when he drives by you,but this guy is still in uncharted waters.

I mean the entire defense is watching him like no player I’ve seen. Literally all ten eyes are on him. Hence why Gs stays getting back door cuts and easy layups off his action. Players stay blowing coverage because he’s coming off a screen and they get dumb.

Then you have to respect him right when he hits mid court. Constant pressure.

Also , just like football the defenses/ offenses are for more sophisticated now,he’s seeing things no shooter ever saw. I mean Toronto ran a box and one defense , and a triangle in two. Just to have all ten eyes on ole boy.

Running a zone ( box in 1) with only man defense on Steph , that way they can all rotate to him if/when he kills defender.

In a league that NEVER uses that. That’s called “ emptying your bag”.

It’s just insane. For a skinny , 6’2 guy that’s not even that athletic ( by nba standards), it’s just straight “ basketball skill” killing mofos.

Like I said , I grew up a huge nba fan/ from 80’s on, there’s nobody in that cats world.

He’s a freak , once in a lifetime shooter.
I don't disagree with any of that. Steph is a generational shooter, no doubt about it.

I posted my comments above in response to comparing Steph's shooting %'s with the %'s from players in the 80s and 90s which was being done as a means of saying shooters today are way better than shooters back in the day. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. Or, put differently and more in line with my responses above, I believe shooters today would have lower %'s overall if the defensive rules were the way they were back then. That's all. Doesn't change the fact Steph would still be one of the (if not THE) greatest shooters of all time. I just think his % would be lower than they are today.

Disagree.

Mid range shooting is way less effective now.

You see it the most when teams only need one or two.

They don’t have the skill of getting space and good form and balance. They can’t sink the off balance shots anywhere near as often They miss wide open a lot more too.

The increased three point percentage allows it to even out in the end.

Steph and Klay are historically good, I just like adding context to the why’s of them developing the way they have. If anything they are underrated as champions because they don’t get credit for the team defensive field goal percentages they accomplish.

Players are more athletic today. The skills have switched around because of the change in coaching philosophies. I see no difference in inherent skill compared to the basketball I grew up on. There IS a big difference in the way players are developed from youth.

I don't disagree with any of that. Steph is a generational shooter, no doubt about it.

I posted my comments above in response to comparing Steph's shooting %'s with the %'s from players in the 80s and 90s which was being done as a means of saying shooters today are way better than shooters back in the day. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. Or, put differently and more in line with my responses above, I believe shooters today would have lower %'s overall if the defensive rules were the way they were back then. That's all. Doesn't change the fact Steph would still be one of the (if not THE) greatest shooters of all time. I just think his % would be lower than they are today.

I actually feel your points , as well as Trucane.
It’s different eras , two completely different styles of ball , I get that.

I just view Steph as a unicorn . It’s not just the range , it’s difficulty , the contesting by the d, while playing an up/ down the court brand.

But still having the legs to keep shooting from out there.

Oh and the moxy to do that insanity on this stage. Remember everyone said you can’t win a title living on threes.....well.

Now if you want to talk if he’d survive the 80’s, or possibly get killed at the rack. That’s a different story.

These cats today wouldn’t know what to do when Oakley or Mahorn clothesline’s your *** at the basket lol. Lbj starts bleeding from his vag if you barely bump his huge *** in this era.

Advertisement
Now with my Knicks luck we get Durant and hes never the same guy, dont even know if we should pursue him now that injury is no joke
Couldn't they sign him and another star, let him rehab that 1st year, keep the 3rd pick and pick probably barrett from Duke. Probably bad still and receive another good pick for the 2020 draft or trade for another piece. Sets up for the 2nd year.

These cats today wouldn’t know what to do when Oakley or Mahorn clothesline’s your *** at the basket lol. Lbj starts bleeding from his vag if you barely bump his huge *** in this era.
LOL!

I hear you, Cribby. Your entire post above is well said. I've watched bball my whole life, and I've never seen someone shoot the way Steph does. His ability to just square up in regular jump shot form from any point on an entire half court is absolutely mindblowing. The kid is a unicorn, for sure. I felt that way even back when I watched him at Davidson.

Couldn't they sign him and another star, let him rehab that 1st year, keep the 3rd pick and pick probably barrett from Duke. Probably bad still and receive another good pick for the 2020 draft or trade for another piece. Sets up for the 2nd year.
I’m intrigued to see where and what Durant does now, I’m sure it won’t affect teams after him.

I just wonder if this could change his plans.

Advertisement
I’m intrigued to see where and what Durant does now, I’m sure it won’t affect teams after him.

It would probably change my thinking if I wanted to lead a team by myself. Golden State can pay more and he can heal for that season, while GS will probably do their thing in the west.

I actually feel your points , as well as Trucane.
It’s different eras , two completely different styles of ball , I get that.

I just view Steph as a unicorn . It’s not just the range , it’s difficulty , the contesting by the d, while playing an up/ down the court brand.

But still having the legs to keep shooting from out there.

Oh and the moxy to do that insanity on this stage. Remember everyone said you can’t win a title living on threes.....well.

Now if you want to talk if he’d survive the 80’s, or possibly get killed at the rack. That’s a different story.

Steph is most def a unicorn.

He would be a top 5-10 player in any era.

But this era is tailor made just for him. They are more forgiving of travels and moving screens now. I was SHOCKED when they called it on Cousins last night.

It is easier for guards to get to the basket and THAT is what really makes Steph hot. When he gets easy lay ups in half court, the flood gates open. When it is taken away, those are the games his percentage drops.

Defensive three seconds has given smaller guards access to the rim that they never had before. Coupled with shooting bigs at the arc and the floor is wide open.

This would not be the case in the 80’s and 90’s and we ain’t even talked about the punishment he would take for being a little guy infringing on the big guys turf.

He would be amazing, but the confidence he has is unique to this era. I don’t think he could duplicate the same ridiculousness as we witness now, same as Wilt not scoring 100 in the modern game.

Doesn’t take away from his all time greatness though.

Last edited:

We already know if he goes to the knicks he will never be the same again watch lol, im used to this as a knick fan.

It would probably change my thinking if I wanted to lead a team by myself. Golden State can pay more and he can heal for that season, while GS will probably do their thing in the west.
Thats probably his best move but Im hearing him and Kyrie want NYK bad because winning a title there (which probably wont happen at all) is basketball immortality.

Advertisement
Back