Venables breaks down how he prepared for our offense

He just needed us to have 3 of the worst WR in the nation.

I don't know who to put the blame on, but these guys should be playing better than what they are. I'm not saying they should be playing on Andre Johnson's lvl or on Moss lvl but they shouldn't be this bad.
facts

Advertisement
We sucked on BOTH sides of the ball. There were several different **** dropped on our bedsheets during that Clemson beatdown

While Lashlee was a substantial upgrade at OC...this loss doesn't ALL fall on Baker'...Lashlee shouldn't get a pass from getting any blame.from our poor performance at Clemson.

17 points doesn't get a win vs Clemson. Barker's dismal 42 point giveaway aspeaks for itself.

BOTH sides plus and including Diaz stunk up the place. We looked totally unprepared as the game progressed and made NO meaningful halftime adjustments. What makes it even worse is we had TWO weeks to prepare!!

Clemson's TOTAL preparation and execution for this game exposed how far we are behind them in ALL aspects of the game.

Big 12 was spread 10 years ago as well. Texas vs USC was 2006 and Texas ran spread then as well. You gotta go back 20 years for Big 12 defense (Nebraska years).
When Texas won the NC they did it with power running and defense. Big 12 these days is all air raid all the time. However back then there were only a couple of guys doing that. OKLA had players on Defense when Venables was there.....and correct me if i'm wrong, but OKLA wasn't sad he left either right?

This board sucks off every **** coach

Venables wasn't that hot at OU

One of the notable takeaways from our own Bill Connelly’s review and updating of previous years’ S&P+ rankings is how much stronger the Big 12 has looked on reflection. The 2011 rankings revealed an absolutely loaded B12 slate in a year that was notable for RG3 winning the Heisman trophy for Baylor and Mike Gundy’s Oklahoma State winning the league thanks in no small part to the performance of Biletnikoff winner Justin Blackmon. It was the first year of round robin play with no title game. Nebraska and Colorado had both just split for the Big 10 and Pac-12 respectively and the overall results of the season in the new-look league were fairly jarring for everyone.

At the time, the emergence of non-OU/Texas powers within the league was shocking. Baylor defeated Oklahoma for the first time in their program’s history in 2011, Texas Tech went on the road to Norman and ended a 39-game home winning streak for the Sooners, and then Bob Stoops’ program took a rare L in a Bedlam game/de-facto Big 12 title game against Oklahoma State.

The big takeaway from this season in Oklahoma was that things needed to change. The defense needed to simplify and Brent Venables clearly needed some help if he was going to allow teams like OSU, Tech, and Baylor to drop 40 points and come out with victories. As it happened, the DC who’d helped Bob Stoops and Brent Venables establish the Sooners’ initial, championship-winning defense back in 2000 was available. Mike Stoops had just been fired from Arizona and he was brought back to Norman to take over while Venables was knocked back down to “co-coordinator.” Venables then unsurprisingly left and was made sole coordinator at Clemson, we’re all well aware of how that’s gone.
Thank you for this.
Venables is definitely a guy that has taken his lumps and learned how to do things right. He has mastered the craft and everyone has said the same thing about him for years now. Same thing was said about Bud Foster for years, and the dude never took an HC job.

Lots of people in Oklahoma were ****ed that he was able to walk when they brought Mike Stoops back...and they assumed that Brent had been demoted, but that actually was not the case at all. Bob said that having Brent there along with Mike was going to be "team effort", however Brent decided that he wanted to make a name for himself....especially after Clemson called. He is a true competitor, and Clemson had just won the ACC ship, but got their asses handed to them by WV, giving up 70 pts in the Orange Bowl.

Brent was always applauded for being a student of the game, and passing everything he knew onto his players, especially studying your opponents and game film.

Advertisement
Who? Can you please name these low star recruits they turn into NFL draft picks on Defense?
Isaiah Simmons and Tanner Muse, just from this years draft.

Took me 20 seconds to get the following names:Grady Jarrett, Vic Beasley.

Shaq Lawson was a low 4-star.

All of them play in the NFL.

Isaia
h Simmons and Tanner Muse, just from this years draft.

Isaiah Simmons and Tanner Muse, just from this years draft.

Took me 20 seconds to get the following names:Grady Jarrett, Vic Beasley.

Shaq Lawson was a low 4-star.

All of them play in the NFL.
Isaiah Simmons was a 4* rated recruit by 247 and the third best player in Kansas while also being invited to the Semper Fi bowl. That doesn't sound very lowly rated to me. Shaq lawson was a low 4 star???? That's the best you have?

3 3* kids who play in the NFL? Come on man. I've got a bridge to sell you since you'll eat any kind of narrative up without really thinking abou ***

Advertisement
He has people playing like top 10 talent. They weren't top 10 when they were recruited. It's been only recently their recruiting makes you think that.

There's something to be said about development and putting them into a scheme to succeed. They'll play "quick and clean" if they know what they have to do.
Clemson's last 3 classes are 10, 3, and 7. They definitely do a great job of development. Dabo definitely will pass on a five-star **** for a four or three star person of higher character.

This board sucks off every **** coach

Venables wasn't that hot at OU

One of the notable takeaways from our own Bill Connelly’s review and updating of previous years’ S&P+ rankings is how much stronger the Big 12 has looked on reflection. The 2011 rankings revealed an absolutely loaded B12 slate in a year that was notable for RG3 winning the Heisman trophy for Baylor and Mike Gundy’s Oklahoma State winning the league thanks in no small part to the performance of Biletnikoff winner Justin Blackmon. It was the first year of round robin play with no title game. Nebraska and Colorado had both just split for the Big 10 and Pac-12 respectively and the overall results of the season in the new-look league were fairly jarring for everyone.

At the time, the emergence of non-OU/Texas powers within the league was shocking. Baylor defeated Oklahoma for the first time in their program’s history in 2011, Texas Tech went on the road to Norman and ended a 39-game home winning streak for the Sooners, and then Bob Stoops’ program took a rare L in a Bedlam game/de-facto Big 12 title game against Oklahoma State.

The big takeaway from this season in Oklahoma was that things needed to change. The defense needed to simplify and Brent Venables clearly needed some help if he was going to allow teams like OSU, Tech, and Baylor to drop 40 points and come out with victories. As it happened, the DC who’d helped Bob Stoops and Brent Venables establish the Sooners’ initial, championship-winning defense back in 2000 was available. Mike Stoops had just been fired from Arizona and he was brought back to Norman to take over while Venables was knocked back down to “co-coordinator.” Venables then unsurprisingly left and was made sole coordinator at Clemson, we’re all well aware of how that’s gone.
Was JJ that hot at Oklahoma St? You don't remember people wanting to run him out of town the way the 84 season ended? Don't you think that someone can evolve and become better tomorrow than they are today?

Give the guy his due. He took his lumps and learned from them and is now one of the best in the business at what he does.

Our fans using this as an indictment of Baker are silly....

He already bad enough on his own and needs no further evidence lol.

Now regarding BV....ppl forget that his defense was 55th in the National the year he bolted from OU.

Bottom line is this..BV is a great DC. But great players have a lot ...a lot to do with it.
OU's Defense was 7th per SP+ in 2011. It took Stoops' brother one season to drop that to 28th.

Was JJ that hot at Oklahoma St? You don't remember people wanting to run him out of town the way the 84 season ended? Don't you think that someone can evolve and become better tomorrow than they are today?

Give the guy his due. He took his lumps and learned from them and is now one of the best in the business at what he does.
No he had better players at Clemson than Ou.. but go on.. keep telling yourself whatever will make you sleep better at night.

Advertisement
Clemson's last 3 classes are 10, 3, and 7. They definitely do a great job of development. Dabo definitely will pass on a five-star **** for a four or three star person of higher character.
No doubt. That culture there is rock solid. As much as I detest that clown. They were quick to get rid of the stink from demarcus bowman. Didn’t care that they lost the #1 rb cause the team is more important.

get this mans butt to miami if diaz is fired.

Some dudes are better coordinators than HCs, and vice versa. I don't know how good a HC he would be. The fact that he's had infinite opportunities to be a HC and hasn't accepted a HC job yet leads me to think he doesn't think he's suited for it. Jeff Fisher knew he didn't want to deal with the headaches of being a HC and was happy doing his job.

I know this might be mocked, but I see Baker as better HC material than DC material. He relates well with players and recruits seem to really like him, but he is a very poor Xs and Os guy. I don't think he is particularly good and scheming up ways to beat an offense, but seems like the type of guy who would be willing to surround himself with smart coaches and play more of a GM role like Eddy O.

Advertisement
Isaiah Simmons was a 4* rated recruit by 247 and the third best player in Kansas while also being invited to the Semper Fi bowl. That doesn't sound very lowly rated to me. Shaq lawson was a low 4 star???? That's the best you have?

3 3* kids who play in the NFL? Come on man. I've got a bridge to sell you since you'll eat any kind of narrative up without really thinking abou ***
Isaiah Simmons was a 3-star, according to 247sports composite. If you want to say stupid stuff, I would suggest you stop lying.

Some dudes are better coordinators than HCs, and vice versa. I don't know how good a HC he would be. The fact that he's had infinite opportunities to be a HC and hasn't accepted a HC job yet leads me to think he doesn't think he's suited for it. Jeff Fisher knew he didn't want to deal with the headaches of being a HC and was happy doing his job.

I know this might be mocked, but I see Baker as better HC material than DC material. He relates well with players and recruits seem to really like him, but he is a very poor Xs and Os guy. I don't think he is particularly good and scheming up ways to beat an offense, but seems like the type of guy who would be willing to surround himself with smart coaches and play more of a GM role like Eddy O.
Well, apparently he wants to be a HC now.

And given how his defense plays and how disciplined they are, year in year out...

Well, apparently he wants to be a HC now.

And given how his defense plays and how disciplined they are, year in year out...

I read that article saying he is open to HC jobs now, but it seemed to me that it wasn't so much that he has huge desire to be a HC, it's that he's 50 years old and if he's going to ever make the jump, he thinks now is the time. Let's say he waited another 10 years- would you want to invest $ 70-80 million+ dollars (multiyear contract) to hire a 60 year old coordinator who has never been a HC before?

Advertisement
Back