Vegas thinks Golden is Gone after This Season

Advertisement
14.png

188.jpg

Advertisement
You don't get it. I was hoping Golden was the guy. I questioned his credentials, but I remember when JJ was hired, and there was a lot of questions about JJ. And JJ had a hard first year at UM.

But after the first few games under Golden, you don't have to be very smart to see that the team was very poorly prepared, very poorly schemed, and were playing flat. I think there was stunned disbelief in watching our defense. Not once. But every damned game. Including our very last game against UL.

A lot of times when we won against FSU, we weren't better than FSU, but rather we were well prepared and just outplayed them.

Pedigree. Golden's pedigree comes from old and slow PSU grind-it-out-slow-assed-big-and-deliberate pedigree of Joe Paterno. Who wasn't that successful at the National Championship level, even though he really had a lock on many NE recruting regions.

This is different football down South. We actually have the forward pass, something Paterno wasn't a fan of. We have speed, and ****. Neither Golden nor D'Onofrio have a clue as to what to do with it. Recall Cristobal leaving so soon? Gee. Think he saw the handwriting and decided he didn't want any part of this crap?

Every year Golden stays, is one more year removed from getting back to being an annual top five NC contender.

I do get it. Trust me, you're level of dialogue is not that deep.

You're saying you gave up on Golden early in his first year. Makes me wonder how much you truly hoped Golden was the guy.

I think it was pretty obvious that the Florida team we played last year was much more talented than we were. You can be a bonehead and look at their record at the end of the year and say they weren't very good, but at full strength that team was very, very good. Yeah you could say Driskell gave that game away and they were moving the ball with ease, but we somehow found a way to win. I don't know if Golden gets the credit for that win, but I would say that they were more talented than we were and we still won that game. Granted, we did not keep that level of play up after Duke went down.

Golden's pedigree? You think he's afraid of the forward pass? Didn't Hurns break the school record for receiving yards last year? Isn't Dorsett running past fools on the regular when healthy? Isn't Stacy Coley widely seen as the next best thing? We have speed all over the place on this team. I think a lot of things went downhill when we no longer had a reliable running game. The depth in that department has changed this year.

LOL at Cristobal leaving "so soon". Must have a pretty poor memory. I recall Alabama TRIPLING his salary. Who the **** would turn that down?

When I read this from you guys all this means is we need to lower our standards. That is where the division in our fan base is.

And when I read this from you guys I picture Stephen Morris, Jimmy Gaines, AJ Highmith, Kacy Rodgers, and Tyrone Cornelius passing the crystal football around to each other, hugging, celebrating the national championship on their unicorns jumping from rainbow to rainbow. It's just not ******* realistic at all.

Advertisement
You don't get it. I was hoping Golden was the guy. I questioned his credentials, but I remember when JJ was hired, and there was a lot of questions about JJ. And JJ had a hard first year at UM.

But after the first few games under Golden, you don't have to be very smart to see that the team was very poorly prepared, very poorly schemed, and were playing flat. I think there was stunned disbelief in watching our defense. Not once. But every damned game. Including our very last game against UL.

A lot of times when we won against FSU, we weren't better than FSU, but rather we were well prepared and just outplayed them.

Pedigree. Golden's pedigree comes from old and slow PSU grind-it-out-slow-assed-big-and-deliberate pedigree of Joe Paterno. Who wasn't that successful at the National Championship level, even though he really had a lock on many NE recruting regions.

This is different football down South. We actually have the forward pass, something Paterno wasn't a fan of. We have speed, and ****. Neither Golden nor D'Onofrio have a clue as to what to do with it. Recall Cristobal leaving so soon? Gee. Think he saw the handwriting and decided he didn't want any part of this crap?

Every year Golden stays, is one more year removed from getting back to being an annual top five NC contender.

I do get it. Trust me, you're level of dialogue is not that deep.

You're saying you gave up on Golden early in his first year. Makes me wonder how much you truly hoped Golden was the guy.

I think it was pretty obvious that the Florida team we played last year was much more talented than we were. You can be a bonehead and look at their record at the end of the year and say they weren't very good, but at full strength that team was very, very good. Yeah you could say Driskell gave that game away and they were moving the ball with ease, but we somehow found a way to win. I don't know if Golden gets the credit for that win, but I would say that they were more talented than we were and we still won that game. Granted, we did not keep that level of play up after Duke went down.

Golden's pedigree? You think he's afraid of the forward pass? Didn't Hurns break the school record for receiving yards last year? Isn't Dorsett running past fools on the regular when healthy? Isn't Stacy Coley widely seen as the next best thing? We have speed all over the place on this team. I think a lot of things went downhill when we no longer had a reliable running game. The depth in that department has changed this year.

LOL at Cristobal leaving "so soon". Must have a pretty poor memory. I recall Alabama TRIPLING his salary. Who the **** would turn that down?

It doesn't take me long to see when a person doesn't have some basic principles down, which in turn enables me to quickly determine the guy doesn't have what it takes for the task.

We'd get new officers now and then, and some of them were the greatest tactical minds of all time - but only in their own mind. They'd come in with a preconceived notion of the changes they would have to make. Rather than adjust tactics to what we had to work with. Others would take what they had, adapt tactics to manpower, strengths, capabilities, and THEN maximize effectiveness. The difference between the two were night and day.

One basic premise of conducting warfare, for example, and it fits here quite well, is - never reinforce a bad attack.

If it's not working, it's not working. Golden and D'Onofrio for three friggin' years on defense, have been reinforcing what they like, but doesn't work. And with D'Onofrio returning for another season, and with Golden saying he wants 'continuity,' he's in essence saying he's going to reinforce FOUR separate years - a bad attack.

You want to take ONE frigging example - Florida - and use that for your measurement? Are you *****ing me?

How about zero progress over three years, the last example being a nationally televised ***-whooping. By UL?

Yes, I question Golden's pedigree as it shows up every damned day in his defense. Yes, we had to throw because the damned defensive scheme couldn't stop anyone! When you average some 500 ypg given up? Yeah, you turn to your OC and beg him to pull your bacon out of the fire. Fisch was up to it more so than Coley.

You laugh at Cristobal, and talk about the money, but the truth is, it's just as likely Mario saw what was going on, and wanted off this Titanic. You see, Coordinators go down with head coaches, and it takes a couple more gigs to re-establish your credibility.

Golden needs to be a coach somewhere up north. He's not ready for prime time, southern football.

It doesn't take me long to see when a person doesn't have some basic principles down, which in turn enables me to quickly determine the guy doesn't have what it takes for the task.

We'd get new officers now and then, and some of them were the greatest tactical minds of all time - but only in their own mind. They'd come in with a preconceived notion of the changes they would have to make. Rather than adjust tactics to what we had to work with. Others would take what they had, adapt tactics to manpower, strengths, capabilities, and THEN maximize effectiveness. The difference between the two were night and day.

One basic premise of conducting warfare, for example, and it fits here quite well, is - never reinforce a bad attack.

If it's not working, it's not working. Golden and D'Onofrio for three friggin' years on defense, have been reinforcing what they like, but doesn't work. And with D'Onofrio returning for another season, and with Golden saying he wants 'continuity,' he's in essence saying he's going to reinforce FOUR separate years - a bad attack.

You want to take ONE frigging example - Florida - and use that for your measurement? Are you *****ing me?

How about zero progress over three years, the last example being a nationally televised ***-whooping. By UL?

Yes, I question Golden's pedigree as it shows up every damned day in his defense. Yes, we had to throw because the damned defensive scheme couldn't stop anyone! When you average some 500 ypg given up? Yeah, you turn to your OC and beg him to pull your bacon out of the fire. Fisch was up to it more so than Coley.

You laugh at Cristobal, and talk about the money, but the truth is, it's just as likely Mario saw what was going on, and wanted off this Titanic. You see, Coordinators go down with head coaches, and it takes a couple more gigs to re-establish your credibility.

Golden needs to be a coach somewhere up north. He's not ready for prime time, southern football.

As an officer, I'd challenge your point of view. I've had the opportunity to work with several new soldiers as well. As a new leader for them, a lot of how much you can lead is dependent on the individuals you're leading. If my soldiers don't give a ****, don't have a responsible work ethic, and don't care about improving, there's not a whole lot I can do as a leader. If they feel entitled to certain things, have a problem with authority, and don't want to listen then we aren't going anywhere. Some of my soldiers will sing my praises all day, and some of them wish they had someone softer, someone who wouldn't hold them accountable as much. And when I have soldiers that listen and respond -- my section is a well-oiled machine and among the best of what we do. I'll give Al Golden the opportunity to have a roster full of his own guys before I judge him completely. I was the same way with Randy Shannon. I had my doubts, and during the 4th season it became clear he was not going to bring us back. If Golden performs the same way then I'd expect him gone too. But I just doubt that's going to happen.

Cristobal was here for a month and someone offered to triple his salary. It's not likely at all that he "saw what was going on" and left. It was about the money.

Zero progress? Based on what? Certainly not wins. And that's what I thought the game was about.

As an officer, I'd challenge your point of view. I've had the opportunity to work with several new soldiers as well. As a new leader for them, a lot of how much you can lead is dependent on the individuals you're leading. If my soldiers don't give a ****, don't have a responsible work ethic, and don't care about improving, there's not a whole lot I can do as a leader. If they feel entitled to certain things, have a problem with authority, and don't want to listen then we aren't going anywhere. Some of my soldiers will sing my praises all day, and some of them wish they had someone softer, someone who wouldn't hold them accountable as much. And when I have soldiers that listen and respond -- my section is a well-oiled machine and among the best of what we do. I'll give Al Golden the opportunity to have a roster full of his own guys before I judge him completely. I was the same way with Randy Shannon. I had my doubts, and during the 4th season it became clear he was not going to bring us back. If Golden performs the same way then I'd expect him gone too. But I just doubt that's going to happen.

Cristobal was here for a month and someone offered to triple his salary. It's not likely at all that he "saw what was going on" and left. It was about the money.

Zero progress? Based on what? Certainly not wins. And that's what I thought the game was about.

I think there were various factors that compelled Mario to leave. Do you have a source for the 'tripling of the salary"?

I know he makes $475,000 at Bama...he was only making $158,000 at Miami as Asst. HC/TE coach? I'd actually believe that with our tightwad admin.

I would like to see a source though. (not calling you out, just curious)

OK. Think I see the problem here.

You say you're an officer. You then mention "As a new leader for them . . . " And then you suggest that if your soldiers don't give a **** and so on, there's not much you can do as a leader.

That's your first problem. You're NOT a leader. Not by a damned sight. I'd ask that you never, ever, refer to yourself as a leader - because you aren't even close.

Zero progress in that Golden's very last game? Looked like Golden's very first game.

Beginning to Ending? Alpha to Omega? Three years ago to months ago?

Got it? Zero progress.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Golden's job is not even remotely in danger in 2014. After 2015 maybe. He has had to recruit with one hand tied behind his back the past few years and has done a great job building up an organization since he got here. Also, take a look at the NFL Draft the past few years and there is your answer on why we have not been able to breakthrough on the field since he has been here.

I think there were various factors that compelled Mario to leave. Do you have a source for the 'tripling of the salary"?

I know he makes $475,000 at Bama...he was only making $158,000 at Miami as Asst. HC/TE coach? I'd actually believe that with our tightwad admin.

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2013/2/20/4006266/mario-cristobal-spurns-miami-after-a-month-on-the-job

Golden's job is not even remotely in danger in 2014. After 2015 maybe. He has had to recruit with one hand tied behind his back the past few years and has done a great job building up an organization since he got here. Also, take a look at the NFL Draft the past few years and there is your answer on why we have not been able to breakthrough on the field since he has been here.

With the exception of 2011, all he's done is pull top 15 classes. This, "one hand behind his back," argument is only pertinent when it comes to the top studs he's missed that everybody was going after like Matthew Thomas, Alex Collins, Dalvin Cook, Sony Michel, etc.. He's gotten the 3 and 4 stars he was largely supposed to get, NCAA or no NCAA. He gets the best offensive player in South Florida in 2012 and 2013 with Duke and Coley and the best defensive player in 2012 and 2014 in Howard and Thomas. So to your overall point, he's done a phenomenal job restoring talent to the team.

Just because the NCAA is gone now, you think he'll all of sudden get everybody like Butch did. I find that hard to believe with Gibson, Ridley, Phillips, Cole, McFadden, McFadden, Burgess-Becker, and Durante all currently going elsewhere. So since the NCAA left town in relation to the 2015 class, we're actually recruiting essentially the same as when the cloud was hovering around.

Your NFL draft point is irrelevant seeing as we lost to a Duke team by 18 points that had less players drafted this year than we did. Yeah I know Duke, Dorsett, and Coley were all basically out for the game and that has nothing to do with giving up 48 points. They're hanging with Texas A&M is a pointless counterpoint, seeing as their defense makes ours look like the '85 Bears. Also, and this is my biggest coaching qualm with Golden, there's player development and on the defensive side of the ball he's come up short since he got here. Good coaches, like the Frank Beamers of the world, take 2/3 stars and turn them into better players than we he first got them. Nobody here thinks Highsmith and Rodgers II are future pro-bowlers, but we shouldn't have to have a roster of all-pro players to beat Duke and an awful Virginia Tech, nor should we need to beat North Carolina and Wake Forest at the buzzer. The last few years have not been Miami caliber talent but they have still been more talented that our opponents save for Florida State and Virginia Tech.

I'm possibly reading a little too much into your comment, but if you're saying that what we need is multiple 1st round picks to be a true quality team and just overwhelm teams with talent than we are in deep trouble. Michigan State had only one player drafted and it was 1st round pick Darquez Dennard. They seemed to do just fine with a talent deficiency compared to their opponents.

We'll find out at the end of the year if Golden should be fired or not. He deserves this year and anybody that disagrees is being unfair. I don't think he'll rise to the occasion while some people, such as yourself, think he will. Anything under 8 wins and no Coastal and he should hit the bricks and if he's relying on his buyout being his saving grace, than the hole we're in is much deeper than our below standard talent. It's a massive coaching shortcoming.

Last edited:
Advertisement

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2013/2/20/4006266/mario-cristobal-spurns-miami-after-a-month-on-the-job

Didn't see any hard numbers there the only quote was "and Bama is almost tripling his assumed Miami salary. "

Sounds like rumors and conjecture to me.

If you don't like what I post, you can tell me by my avatar - don't read it.

How damned retarded does someone have to be to not understand the simplicity of their problem?

For an officer, you're pretty damned slow. OH! Police Officer!

Right?

I would read your posts and the first thing I thought was military officer. But since we don't have a draft - there's no damned way they'd have an officer that dense.

Police Officer! I get it! You don't have to be a leader!

Dude, just stop talking about the military. You're a ******* disgrace. If you ever spoke to me that way as a soldier, your *** would be dishonorably discharged. If you served your country, and served proudly, shut your ******* mouth. Every time you open it you disgrace yourself and your service. If you wanna talk about your retarded points of view on Al Golden, fine. But it's clear you don't have an ounce of honor in you with each word you say. You think you're some leader speaking to an officer that way? Great ******* example you're setting. Just stop.

Hughey why you mad bro???

What branch are you in? How many soldiers do you have under your command? Sounds like the military has become very soft or pussified from your comments. It's the same all over as well with the softer gentler treatment of workers. This younger generation wants everything handed to themm then they want to be paid $25 an hour with no skill to do crap. Is that what you are seeing in the military? Thing is you have things you can do that you can't do in the civilian world. Some one dis-obeys you there are consequences.

If you don't like what I post, you can tell me by my avatar - don't read it.

How damned retarded does someone have to be to not understand the simplicity of their problem?

For an officer, you're pretty damned slow. OH! Police Officer!

Right?

I would read your posts and the first thing I thought was military officer. But since we don't have a draft - there's no damned way they'd have an officer that dense.

Police Officer! I get it! You don't have to be a leader!

Dude, just stop talking about the military. You're a ****ing disgrace. If you ever spoke to me that way as a soldier, your *** would be dishonorably discharged. If you served your country, and served proudly, shut your ****ing mouth. Every time you open it you disgrace yourself and your service. If you wanna talk about your retarded points of view on Al Golden, fine. But it's clear you don't have an ounce of honor in you with each word you say. You think you're some leader speaking to an officer that way? Great ****ing example you're setting. Just stop.

That dude has no idea about being in the military, that's been established. Probably made himself an honorary officer because he watched Saving Private Ryan.

LOL, 2107 have you ever been in the military? What so hard about it. (I served for 6 years)

You guys want to be treated with respect on a message board when you run around being *** hats is cracking me the **** up.

I respect people that have served and are serving, but if you are going to act like a **** on this board, expect that kind of treatment.

With the exception of 2011, all he's done is pull top 15 classes. This, "one hand behind his back," argument is only pertinent when it comes to the top studs he's missed that everybody was going after like Matthew Thomas, Alex Collins, Dalvin Cook, Sony Michel, etc.. He's gotten the 3 and 4 stars he was largely supposed to get, NCAA or no NCAA. He gets the best offensive player in South Florida in 2012 and 2013 with Duke and Coley and the best defensive player in 2012 and 2014 in Howard and Thomas. So to your overall point, he's done a phenomenal job restoring talent to the team.

Just because the NCAA is gone now, you think he'll all of sudden get everybody like Butch did. I find that hard to believe with Gibson, Ridley, Phillips, Cole, McFadden, McFadden, Burgess-Becker, and Durante all currently going elsewhere. So since the NCAA left town in relation to the 2015 class, we're actually recruiting essentially the same as when the cloud was hovering around.

Your NFL draft point is irrelevant seeing as we lost to a Duke team by 18 points that had less players drafted this year than we did. Yeah I know Duke, Dorsett, and Coley were all basically out for the game and that has nothing to do with giving up 48 points. They're hanging with Texas A&M is a pointless counterpoint, seeing as their defense makes ours look like the '85 Bears. Also, and this is my biggest coaching qualm with Golden, there's player development and on the defensive side of the ball he's come up short since he got here. Good coaches, like the Frank Beamers of the world, take 2/3 stars and turn them into better players than we he first got them. Nobody here thinks Highsmith and Rodgers II are future pro-bowlers, but we shouldn't have to have a roster of all-pro players to beat Duke and an awful Virginia Tech, nor should we need to beat North Carolina and Wake Forest at the buzzer. The last few years have not been Miami caliber talent but they have still been more talented that our opponents save for Florida State and Virginia Tech.

I'm possibly reading a little too much into your comment, but if you're saying that what we need is multiple 1st round picks to be a true quality team and just overwhelm teams with talent than we are in deep trouble. Michigan State had only one player drafted and it was 1st round pick Darquez Dennard. They seemed to do just fine with a talent deficiency compared to their opponents.

We'll find out at the end of the year if Golden should be fired or not. He deserves this year and anybody that disagrees is being unfair. I don't think he'll rise to the occasion while some people, such as yourself, think he will. Anything under 8 wins and no Coastal and he should hit the bricks and if he's relying on his buyout being his saving grace, than the hole we're in is much deeper than our below standard talent. It's a massive coaching shortcoming.

This is the best post I've read on CIS in sometime. Well done Sir!!!

Advertisement
Back