Valentine down to Two !!

I think that if he leaves LSU and arrives at UM for his visit uncommitted we get him.

If he still comes on his OV, we have a very good chance IMO. My big fear, and though I hate to be this negative, its just how I feel its going to play out, is he's going to go to LSU, commit, and then cancel his OV here and refuse to talk to anyone else. If that happens, well, people can say whatever they want, but I think its going to say a lot. And Im going to call it as I see it. Because I can buy that a kid might decide LSU is a better fit for him, but a kid committed to us for that long, and who supposedly loves Hurlie so much and is so close to him and all that jazz, who then will turn around and not even give us the courtesy of an OV? That's going to smell to high ****.

Advertisement
I think that if he leaves LSU and arrives at UM for his visit uncommitted we get him.

If he still comes on his OV, we have a very good chance IMO. My big fear, and though I hate to be this negative, its just how I feel its going to play out, is he's going to go to LSU, commit, and then cancel his OV here and refuse to talk to anyone else. If that happens, well, people can say whatever they want, but I think its going to say a lot. And Im going to call it as I see it. Because I can buy that a kid might decide LSU is a better fit for him, but a kid committed to us for that long, and who supposedly loves Hurlie so much and is so close to him and all that jazz, who then will turn around and not even give us the courtesy of an OV? That's going to smell to high ****.

dannyboy?

dannyboy?

That you?

This is not really new news. A poster claiming to be the coach's brother said it was not true a couple days ago. I think he was legit. I was never worried about Texas, I'm still worried about LSU.

I hope TV doesn't read this board and all the complaints about our DC and scheme.

For all the complaints about the 3-4, the Gruden just hired by the 'Skins said he'll probably stick with the 3-4 because of all the problems it created for OC's in the League. I'm saying that as a guy who loved Jimmy Johnson's 4-3.

People are far too focused on 3-4 or 4-3

The problem is that we run a very vanilla 3-4. With South Florida athletes, this defense should be blitzing off the bus and playing forward, but we are all too often playing a soft 3 deep, with linebackers who suck in pass coverage.

This!! 3-4 is just the alignment and personnel. The 2 gap , zone system that we run is not the same as, for an example, the 3-4 1 gap system that teams like FSU , Bama, & Stanford's of the world run. Yes they have the personnel but they're guys are asked to attack more so than control the point of attack. That's my guys like chick and porter seem to never be off the LOS where as 1 gappers they're be shooting up field more.

ANd then we would be getting SMOKED downfield because our LBs and Safeties were terrible.

In fairness to AG and MD, I SUSPECT, that an alternative theory to "they are mentally retarded" was the fact that they felt our LB and Safties were SO bad, that they would rather play contain 2 gap, and try to "bend dont break", keep everything in front of them, rather than get smoked once we lost containment at the LOS. It was "pick your poison". Im not trying to defend it, because WHATEVER they chose was a sh8t show, and an utter failure. BUT, I suspect this may have been the rationale for playing what they played last year. I suspect they just had NO faith in the personnel they had, and tried to limit the damange, but they ended up playing scared, which got us burned anyway. AG and MD have shown they CAN play better defense than what we have seen the last 2 years.

Wether or not they can make the changes to get this fixed, is a huge question mark. We should have some better talent to work with next year, even if its young and raw. Burns, Howard, Gunter, Bush, Jenkins, DP, Chick, AQM, Kirby, FIgs, McCord, some JUCOs like Heurtelou, even if you have to throw the Frosh in there like Hester, that SHOULD be enough talent to have a marked improvement. They cant coach scared forever because of weak personnel. Eventually they need to trust the players, OR they will go down in flames.

I wouldn't call 2 Gapping safer than the traditional 1-Gap defenses. It's way more of a clustergaum if someone isn't sound or gets destroyed off the ball. It's a NFL style defense and you need NFL caliber DL and LBs to make it work at the college level. If you don't have 3 down guys commanding double teams your LBs had better be big and bad and extremely good.

I hate that style of defense, you need really good personnel for the run fits and pass rush and college football has too many variables to have faith in it on an annual basis.

As for the pass coverage, I'm thinking Golden runs a spot drop scheme based on eye discipline or lack thereof being displayed. That's why the zones look so bad. Saban runs a ton of zone on early downs, but he pattern reads.

In essence, this defense is garbage. JMO.

First his grades are good it was always core classes. Second, just because $$$ is flying around doesn't mean it's the kid asking for it. These $EC schools get a hold of their mentors or coaches and sometimes it flows that way and the mentors and coaches get in these kids ears about certain schools. Can you imagine those around him pushing L$U, what they were saying about Miami after the bowl game and then the Golden fiasco. Yes your right the defense stinks and Miami had all the momentum until the FSU game and Duke injury. Losing to inferior teams and getting your *** kicked on national TV hurt really bad. They have to play better period.

I'm just not as sure as you are that everyone's getting paid off. People around him are probably talking about how ****** UM is because maybe they want to see him play in a better defense and improve his stock for the NFL. Listen, man. I'm the biggest homer around, and I've always been pro-UM on everything. I'd go to UM no matter what was going on. But even I would have a tough time telling him why he'd better off playing in Golden/Duh's defense than in Chavis's.

It's a tough argument, but it's one that we need to win. We're lucky we have Hurlie and the hometown advantage. Hopefully, those 2 things win out.

There's a reason why kids and their handlers listen to $EC schools when come calling. By the way, paying kids in South Florida is the norm, kids are getting paid from their pop warner days, ask around to the people in the know down there.

So listening to LSU has nothing to do with them being a top team almost every year and normally fielding very good defenses? It's all about pay offs?

And I don't need an education on S. FL football. I've lived down here a long time. I just find the selective pay off theories laughable. Every time Al fcks up it's because someone's getting paid or some other lame reason.

****, if I had a kid who was an elite DT, I'd have no problem with him wanting to go to LSU.

Must be the $$$ tho. Not a good team, best conference, sold out crowds, NFL pedigree with position, elite D-co-ordinator.

So, I assume when TV was committed to us, Genron didn't have his hand out then, but does now? Or we got outbid?

Yeah. It's weird that there was no money talk when he was committed to us.

Advertisement
I'm just not as sure as you are that everyone's getting paid off. People around him are probably talking about how ****** UM is because maybe they want to see him play in a better defense and improve his stock for the NFL. Listen, man. I'm the biggest homer around, and I've always been pro-UM on everything. I'd go to UM no matter what was going on. But even I would have a tough time telling him why he'd better off playing in Golden/Duh's defense than in Chavis's.

It's a tough argument, but it's one that we need to win. We're lucky we have Hurlie and the hometown advantage. Hopefully, those 2 things win out.

There's a reason why kids and their handlers listen to $EC schools when come calling. By the way, paying kids in South Florida is the norm, kids are getting paid from their pop warner days, ask around to the people in the know down there.

So listening to LSU has nothing to do with them being a top team almost every year and normally fielding very good defenses? It's all about pay offs?

And I don't need an education on S. FL football. I've lived down here a long time. I just find the selective pay off theories laughable. Every time Al fcks up it's because someone's getting paid or some other lame reason.

****, if I had a kid who was an elite DT, I'd have no problem with him wanting to go to LSU.

Must be the $$$ tho. Not a good team, best conference, sold out crowds, NFL pedigree with position, elite D-co-ordinator.

So, I assume when TV was committed to us, Genron didn't have his hand out then, but does now? Or we got outbid?

Yeah. It's weird that there was no money talk when he was committed to us.

never is. We are the only school that don't pay players.

This is how I believe it will play out.commits to LSU on visit and then cancels the miami visit as to not have to face our coaches and lie to them or pretend he's giving them a chance.

Advertisement
Back