Utah vs Florida

Advertisement
I don’t know. It would be quite a different culture for him to correct…but I would have been willing to see him try. Dude is a tough sum ***** and is really good to his players at the same time…pretty strong combo for players from anywhere.
I think part of why Whittingham's approach to coaching is so effective in Utah is because of the Poly kids he's able to easily pull because of the religious ties. That + the "scrappy" type players from Utah they bring in. The mentality those kids have compared to SFL kids....well...let's just say it's different.

Combine that with handpicking some CA, TX, FL based athletes and you get a solid team.

Advertisement
My new favorite gator is o lineman #66. He's too bad to bother looking up his name. After he whifs on the guy he's blocking and the qb gets creamed he sprints back to help the qb up. Seems to think that will keep him on the field.

Advertisement
Shannon and Diaz fit the culture.

But yeah, Whittingham would never be successful at Miami.

::roll eyes

I do think Whittingham is a top notch coach. Expecting him to be a better field general than what we saw last night is crazy considering how many guys he had out. My only knock on them was their offense didn't run the ball enough. But I think they were giving their backup QBs game time reps in a no-lose situation as much as they were trying to extend the lead and manage the clock. So even there I can understand the play calling.

I may get **** for it. But I am not sure he would have lasted at Miami. Recruiting, development and culture differences are vast. Of course, I wasn't sure Kelly would be any good at LSU, and he's done alright. Either way, I'm all in on mario and believe he's the guy to get us back to greatness. Not going to think about couldas/wouldas/shouldas at this point any more.

SIAP. This is a classic:

1693591068563.jpeg

8 players lined up for a play.

Advertisement
I think part of why Whittingham's approach to coaching is so effective in Utah is because of the Poly kids he's able to easily pull because of the religious ties. That + the "scrappy" type players from Utah they bring in. The mentality those kids have compared to SFL kids....well...let's just say it's different.

Combine that with handpicking some CA, TX, FL based athletes and you get a solid team.
There is some of that, and then there is also the ability to put it altogether and develop it

Advertisement
I may get **** for it. But I am not sure he would have lasted at Miami. Recruiting, development and culture differences are vast. Of course, I wasn't sure Kelly would be any good at LSU, and he's done alright. Either way, I'm all in on mario and believe he's the guy to get us back to greatness. Not going to think about couldas/wouldas/shouldas at this point any more.
I agree. There's different coaches with different styles. Coaching jobs, especially the Miami job, aren't one size fits all gigs. There are plenty of good coaches who's styles wouldn't have worked at other places. We freak out if Mario doesn't sign a top ten class. Utah doesn't even break the top 30. Ever. And that works for Whittingham. He knows he's going to get a lot of Polynesian guys to play in the trenches but he's not going to attract a ton of speedy skill players so he builds his team around that. I don't think that philosophy would work here at all.

Huntley & Moss had no problem playing for Whittingham. Contrary to popular belief, SoFlo kids crave structure & discipline like most of the kids around the Country.

Advertisement
Back