Utah St. did it again.

They once again have a "best" at a coordinator position. They had Dave Aranda a few years ago at DC and 2 of us here lobbied very hard for him to get hired by UM (me and @Paranos ) we failed at our lobbying attempt. Now he is a God somewhere else.

Utah State's OC David Yost is the best in the country. Don't let his mop cut fool you. He's a genius.

If we were smart we would scoop him up as soon as the season is finished.But we won't. We will keep young John Richt because he is daddy's boy and we wouldn't want him to get his feelz hurt.

Embrace the suck. That's what we called it when I was in the military.

Embrace the suck.

I didn't jump on the Aranda ship because he uses a 3-4 scheme and typically we're not going to find those guys in Florida to run it.

But I'm all for David Yost as OC. You got my vote, CD. Sadly, it's not going to happen though.

Advertisement
it would be a different playbook and offensive philosophy that Brown and company would not know. Host has put his playbook together over 23 yrs of learning from spread guys, Brown learned from Mark Rich t only.

Go Canes

I'm sure Brown would be open to relearning another playbook. Especially if it allowed him to retain his current salary.

Here is a a very good article on on Yost and actually he has a lot of similarities with Coach Richt's philosophies just with a modern spin.

Very Long article but a good.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...nergized-and-excited-to-be-at-Utah-State.html

here is the video interview if you don't want to read the article.

Also I think the Brown and Dugans could learn a lot of new spacing concepts from him. If Mark Richt wants to keep his son around long term he could demote his son to Offense Analyst bring in someone like Yost to modernize Coach Richt's play book as QB Coach / CO-Oc an then in 2 or 3 years Yost would move on long with Thomas and Dugans and Richt can go back to calling plays in his new play book and promote his son back to QB coach if he wants.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
I dont Care if he looks like Harry from Dumb and Dumber.

Hire this man ASAP. He’s learned under Gary Pinkel, Mike Leach, and was on the Oregon staff for a couple years.

“During his tenure that began in the Big 12 Conference and concluded in the SEC, Yost earned the reputation as one of the nation's brightest young tutors of quarterbacks. His run included a trio of signal callers (Brad Smith, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert)”

I'm sure Brown would be open to relearning another playbook. Especially if it allowed him to retain his current salary.
If he's an objective person he should very much want to... but these coaches man, they drive around in their Prius's loving the smell of their own farts.

My wife's cousin played for Utah State while Yost was there but now he's in his 1st year with the Raiders. I might have to pick his brain.

it would be a different playbook and offensive philosophy that Brown and company would not know. Host has put his playbook together over 23 yrs of learning from spread guys, Brown learned from Mark Rich t only.

Go Canes

Not True. Brown coached in Bill Legg Spread RPO system at and was very successful leading a walk on RB to a 1000 yard all conference season. Then went to Wisconsin with Gary Anderson and his Power Spread offense. Todd Hartley was in that same Bill Legg Spread RPO offense for 5 years at Marshall.

We run a power spread offense also just Mark Richt sucks at calling plays

Advertisement
Living here in Utah Yost does a lot while having less talent than the two other big schools in the state. Two kid s that are friends with my daughter play there and say nothing but great things about him.

If anyone wants to REALLY feel their blood boil, go read Yost’s bio.

Spoiler: he cut his teeth working under Leach

Living here in Utah Yost does a lot while having less talent than the two other big schools in the state. Two kid s that are friends with my daughter play there and say nothing but great things about him.
This is such hubris that keeps getting perpetuated. I understand you're very likely not a byu fan, but this thought is rampant and completely erroneous. You probably hear it all the time on local radio and from your buddies.

When it comes to BYU, USU currently has 33% more players in the NFL and that gap is only widening. USU beat BYU up and down the field a few weeks ago. They had better athletes across the board. USU has the best QB and best WR corps in the state right now.

Yes, David Yost is an incredible coach. But he also has a whole lot more talent than compared to what BYU has out on the field.

Advertisement
Yost is a interesting suggestion but Coach Richt came to Miami to salvage his pride an show he can go out as offensive guru doing it his way. Bring in Yost would require Richt to scrap his 30yr old play book. Not to mention it would cause Thomas Brown and Ron Dugans to leave since they would lose play OF and passing game coordinator, perceived responsibility which they plan to use to land an OC job somewhere.

Miami would need to replace them as well, which would have coach Rich t surrounded by strangers on his offensive staff and that is not his working retirement plan.

Go Canes
Nuclear engineers would be amazed at the redundant systems Richt has installed in his retirement job.

Advertisement
Guy runs more plays in a qtr than Richt does an entire game. Give his SoFl athletes and he'd be even better. Plus it'll make us more exciting, attract top offensive talent and put more people is the stands.

No fire your son bring in Yost or Kendal Briles to be CO-OC with Brown. and allow them to call players

Think through that a moment.

Yost-Brown-Dugans or Briles-Brown-Dugans.

Not going to work. Not going to happen.

Bring Yost, lose Brown/Dugans at the first chance they can.

Is it worth it? Maybe.

Advertisement
Back