USC To Retain Helton

Notre Dame would be a prime landing spot for Urban Meyer. But he'll have to wait. Kelly went 10-2 with a bad loss to Michigan the eyesore on the season. Is there a reason for ND to fire Kelly, yet?

The reason would be that they feel the need to grab Meyer before he gets away. But yeah, I doubt they pull the trigger right now.

Advertisement
Sounds like they though about it and Urb turned them down.
More teams are likely to use the back channel approach to try and land the next guy before firing the new guy IMO. FSU ponied up 17 mill to fire a HC in year 2 to get a G5 coach. No one wants to be in that position.

More teams are likely to use the back channel approach to try and land the next guy before firing the new guy IMO. FSU ponied up 17 mill to fire a HC in year 2 to get a G5 coach. No one wants to be in that position.
You fire a guy for the sake of firing him, you may wind up with the same record 4 years down the road.

The difference is USC actually has money. MIA does not. Therefore they are a lot closer to being a dominant program than we are.
If money is the reason you're an elite program and as little money as fans claim Miami has then idk why anyone even ******* on this board bc we will never be dominant again if that was the case

Advertisement
Ok, what data do you have to say otherwise? I know that the ACC has a contract with Miami that pays it north of $20 mil annually. Let's also talk about the Adidas contract that Miami. To say the university is broke, which you're eluding to, is idiotic.

The Miami is broke narrative is such bs. They just don’t care about sports, just the money they make off of them. Well shall I say football.

USC may lose Graham Harrell, their OC now. He's interviewed already for a couple of jobs. Rumored to be leaning towards Texas. Also being considered for HC at UNLV and also UTSA. so they keep Helton and lose Harrell....... Lots of very, very unhappy Trojan fans right now....
Yep..fans, boosters, etc. Are ****ed off right now.

Advertisement
Miami has money. USC is just willing to spend it. I really don't know why some posters ramble on about how Miami doesn't have money.

I live in So Cal and know USC professors. From what I hear USC is actually very stingy and not as willing to spend as much as many think including in athletics. I think USC and Miami and actually very similar in this manner.

Miami has plenty of money. That old horse**** narrative died years ago.

Actually, the facts and the data say exactly that. And now with the ACC network they have even more.

They paid $4 mil for a HC and $1mil for an OC. The problem isn’t the amount of money, the problem is on who they spend that money.

The only ones who actually believe that are delusional alumni of the university. Real/True fans of MIA realize the issues plaguing the football program have to do with institutional & systemic failure and go much deeper than simple HC or AD hires. Saying MIA paid $4 mil for a HC and $1 mil for an OC doesn't prove that "Miami has plenty of money." Maybe compared to the avg fan, but definitely not compared to the elite & most successful programs in CFB. In fact MIA is even getting outspent by teams in it's own division, but yet the delusional fans continue to expect coastal division championships & domination. I'm not disputing that MIA has more $ than it used to. My pt is that other programs do to because CFB is currently a winner take all, arms race, and the teams that spend the most $ are the most successful. This isn't the NFL where there's a salary cap, and every team has the same amount of $. Small private universities with less than 1B endowment can longer compete in this CFB landscape and that's the main problem.

Last edited:
I live in So Cal and know USC professors. From what I hear USC is actually very stingy and not as willing to spend as much as many think including in athletics. I think USC and Miami and actually very similar in this manner.

Makes sense given their track record since Pete Carrol.

Advertisement
You always say something like that while you still have a head coach employed. You dont say we are going after urban while helton still has the job.

it almost messed up their deal with the new AD bc he wanted urban and the pres said no. either way, helton is back and USC is worse than miami

The local sports radio and fans in LA are livid. Especially after an 11-day wait to notify the players, who were told yesterday. The AD claims no one was interviewed or considered, an understandable lie, and there was not a 'unanimous' call to fire Helton. Isn't the AD's job to manage head coaches?

Maybe USC now has its own Blake James.

Advertisement
The local sports radio and fans in LA are livid. Especially after an 11-day wait to notify the players, who were told yesterday. The AD claims no one was interviewed or considered, an understandable lie, and there was not a 'unanimous' call to fire Helton. Isn't the AD's job to manage head coaches?

Maybe USC now has its own Blake James.

I think the issue out there is there are two factions which want totally different things The "Old Guard", which includes the Admin in both the athletic and overall University and some of the BOT want to keep the status quo. They don't want to give up control of anything; they'd never agree to letting a football coach come in with his own people and run the show. That's what Urban Meyer does. They also don't have the money readily available to spend on athletics that his previous schools did.

The other faction is the boosters and others of the BOT that want to modernize their football program. Some of their boosters are BIG. Like really big and they are willing to put their $$ out there to get what they want. They want to do exactly what we've talked about on this board ; blow up the athletic department and bring in people who want to make their football program relevant again. They thought getting a new AD would be the first step but It seems that his hands will be tied by the President and the Old Guard. He supposedly tried to bring in a new coach; his choice was Meyer or another unnamed successful power 5 coach. Word is the Boosters were talking to Meyer behind the scenes for quite some time. The President got wind of it and shut it down. It's a real power struggle right now.

Yeah you think we are ****ed? The USC fans I know are livid.

Everybody thought Helton was gone. I mean everybody. Two weeks ago I attended an LPGA event in Naples. On Sunday the USC alum Lizette Salas saw me wearing a USC visor so she approached the ropeline while walking down the 7th fairway. We talked about the big win over UCLA the night earlier. Then I said loudly and mockingly, "How about that Clay Helton?" Lizette laughed out loud. We both knew what that meant. We both assumed Helton would be gone within a week.

The new athletic director Bohn is being attacked on USC forums. He is receiving the brunt of it. Fans are saying it was the shortest honeymoon and quickest plunge to hated status in USC history. Everyone waited for Pat Haden to be gone, then Lynn Swann even moreso, so there was great hope for the new guy. There had been a theme that USC needed to go outside the program for athletic director after so many years of '70s alumni like Haden and Swann.

I don't care about Harrell one way or the other. The head coach dictates the priorities. How can anyone believe that Clay Helton will suddenly wake up and make USC a rugged team on defense that legitimately contests every play, to Ohio State or Clemson or Georgia level? I posted years ago that it was obvious what the Pac 12 was turning into, once there were a string of cupcake hires like Rich Rodriguez, Mike Leach and Chip Kelly. You don't have to play much defense to defeat those guys so the entire conference became soft, albeit not nearly to the degree of the Big 12. Washington, Utah and now Oregon have advanced to the top of the league simply by emphasizing defense and physical football more than anyone else. USC has birthright and talent acquisition potential to take it beyond those teams but Clay Helton is going to continue to try to win games 52-35, just like his dad's philosophy.

Their track record before it in the 80s and 90s was even more mediocre.

Paul Hackett in the late '90s is considered the low point in USC history. I was in Las Vegas and liked to drive to Los Angeles for 1 or 2 games per season, but during the Hackett years none of my old USC buddies cared enough to go. I'd get one decline after another.

Hackett's name is not supposed to be mentioned on USC forums. In fact, for years they called him, "He Who Shall Not Be Named."

The program's reputation sunk so far under Hackett that 4 or 5 candidates turned USC down in the subsequent coaching search, including Dennis Erickson and Mike Riley and so many others I can't recall the names.

I liked the Pete Carroll hire and wrote a letter to the editor to Trojan Family in support of the move. They never printed it. In 2013 at Chapel Hill I told that story to Brennan Carroll after our late rally against North Carolina. Brennan laughed and said, "Oh, so you were the ONE."

He was correct. The Carroll hire was greeted with frustration and mostly a group yawn. It wasn't until late season 2002 that it was obvious things were changing and the fan base began to perk up again.

Advertisement
Back