USC To Retain Helton

Advertisement
Harrell is in the process of saving him...But Helton still has a lid, would have to be sure loaded to be consistent top 10. Right now Harrell will get him back to consistent top 25 with top 10 1 out of every 3 or 4 years imo.

Advertisement
They are ranked right now. With a win over Utah. Harrell might be able to salvage the situation. But Helton might be capped at 9-10 wins

I think Petersen stepping down and Urban saying no forced them to keep Helton. He’ll be fired next year and they’ll try for Petersen and if he says no they’ll probably grab Herman when Texas fires him

Advertisement
If Helton is officially retained they have a solid chance of boosting this year’s recruiting cycle. The issue has been Clay’s instability. They won’t suddenly flip 10 4-stars but will improve.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Demoralizing from a USC standpoint. Helton has no concept how tough and ruthless you have to be on defense to contend for a national championship.

Look at the national leaders in yards per play allowed: http://cfbstats.com/2019/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort02.html

USC under Helton will continue to be a cupcake team allowing 7ish yards per pass attempt, and therefore no hint of relevancy.

This is why you never want to win late season games when the head coaching job is at issue. While watching that joke 52-35 victory over UCLA I knew **** well there would be idiots within the program who thought it meant something.

Advertisement
At some point you have to wonder if Helton has dirt on somebody at USC. Every year they say they're going to fire him but never do. Sorta reminds me of the Marvin Lewis situation that lasted for years with the Bungholes(Bengals).

USC under Helton will continue to be a cupcake team allowing 7ish yards per pass attempt, and therefore no hint of relevancy.

This is why you never want to win late season games when the head coaching job is at issue. While watching that joke 52-35 victory over UCLA I knew **** well there would be idiots within the program who thought it meant something.
I don't think they are happy about it, they just couldn't make themselves believe in the guys avaiable to hire. Rhule and Campbell are probably the top 2 guys at any list and they aren't really proven guys, although I believe Rhule is the real deal, but I also believe he wants to go to the NFL.

Advertisement
Back