USC did it right

With how they recently revamped their program. All the big money programs spent on coaches and the movement in CFB at the end of 2021 with LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. USC is the biggest winner and I expect them to be competing for Championships in the very near future. It makes me wonder, why couldn’t Miami do their rebuild like USC?

Let’s recap a little here. USC was a putrid 4-8 in 2021. They somehow lure Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, a dude who took the Sooners to several CFP games while coaching multiple Heisman trophy winners during his time in Norman (Miami hasn’t had anyone sniff a Heisman in 20 years). Riley takes Caleb Williams with him and gets him a Heisman and USC a game away from the CFP in year one. Also worth mentioning USC is leaving the PAC-12 for the BIG, which will ultimately benefit the program long term. USC is doing what you need to do to actually compete for championships and restoring your program back to relevancy. USC is “back to work”.

Miami decides to throw cash at Mario Cristobal because he was doing above average at Oregon and he used to play here. Apparently he’s also some recruiting genius. Most people probably don’t even know Cristobal was rumored to be a candidate for the job in 2015 after Golden was canned, but I don’t think he was even granted an interview. While I understand he had some success at Oregon and I’m not trying to take away what he accomplished there, Oregon was pretty darn good before Mario ever got there (National Title Runner Up in 2010, 2014), and they didn’t take much of a step back without Mario in 2022. Oregon has been a strong program over the last 15 years. I don’t really give Mario credit for building anything there. None of his teams actually made the CFP or came close anyways. His most impressive win was beating Ohio State in the Shoe back in 2021. It was followed up with an embarrassing loss to 4-8 Stanford a couple weeks later.

My first HC choice back in 2021 was Lane Kiffin and believe we should have tried harder to get him. He’s a brilliant offensive mind and he would have helped TVD flourish, not regress with the ancient Mario/Gattis offense that focuses on time of possession rather than scoring points. Mario has a transfer portal and a billionaire buddy who can pay any player what they want, so the “not enough talent” argument isn’t going to be strong in 2023. I see people predicting a 7-8 win season for us in 2023 which is ludicrous considering how much money we’re giving Mario. I guess I just don’t understand why everybody thinks the world of this guy, or how he’s worth what we’re paying him. I wish we went the USC route and hired someone who actually knows how to get the most out of their players instead of someone living in 1993 with their “power spread” Lol.
All that BS U just spewed sounds good to U don’t it?

Riley is 1-4 in bowl games and 0-3 in the playofffs (only bowl game win was the Cotton Bowl in 2020). If you’re going to make it to the playoffs only to lose every single time U might as well come sit on the couch with me (it’s a joke, calm down). Riley has won the Broyles Award (2015) and Big 12 Coach of the Year (2018).

Mario is 3-3 in bowl games (to include the Rose Bowl in 2019), won the PAC-12 twice, and although a lesser conference he won the Sun Belt in 2010 while at FIU. Mario was Sun Belt Coach of the Year (2010), PAC 12 Coach of the Year (2019), and National Recruiter of the Year (2015).

U brought up Oregon was pretty darn good before Mario got there but that’s not true at all. In the three years prior to Mario being named the HC Oregon went 9-4 (lost Alamo Bowl), 4-8 (no bowl game), and 7-6 (lost Las Vegas Bowl). In the three years prior to Riley being named HC Oklahoma went 8-5 (lost Russell Athletic Bowl), 11-2 (lost Orange Bowl), and 11-2 (won the Sugar Bowl). If anyone came into a program already in a good state/position it was Riley, lmao….

I’m tired of some of U fans and wannabe sideline coaches talking ish about Mario after just one bad year. One bad year does not make or break a coach. If Riley didn’t get/convince Williams to come with him USC wouldn’t have been as good (that’s how important QB play is). For all we know USC could regress this year and we end up tearing it up and surprising folks.

With all that being said, both are great coaches and both will get it done in their own way and when the time is right (hopefully we face off for the ship in the near future). But go’n and tell us U dislike Mario without telling us U dislike Mario…actually I take that back, you’re clearly telling/showing us U dislike Mario “lmao”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sometimes when I hop in threads like these, it becomes very apparent that many in this fan base are home schooled, & have no sense of the real world; meaning, many are so fixated on The Miami Hurricanes, that they have zero clue to CFB in general.

This notion that Riley, & now Day, are to be knocked b/c they haven’t won the big one is one of the more asinine line of reasoning I’ve seen to bash a coach. First of all, do you know how incredibly hard it is to win a Nat’l Championship in CFB? Well how about this; there are currently 130 FBS teams (and yes, that number has expanded over the years). Since 1973, take a guess at how many programs have been declared a Nat’l Champion? Let me help u out: 22 teams. Yes, that’s 17% of all of FBS that have won a Nat’l title, at least one time, in 40 yrs.

1. Bama: 10*
2. Miami: 5*
3. USC: 4*
4. OU: 4*
5. ND: 3*
6. UGA: 3
7. Clemson: 3
8. FSU: 3
9. UF: 3
10. LSU: 3*
11. Nebraska: 3*
12. PSU: 2
13. OSU: 2
14. CU: 1*
15. UW: 1*
16. Pitt: 1
17. BYU: 1
18. UofM: 1*
19. GT: 1*
20. UT: 1
21. UTenn: 1
22. Auburn: 1
* = Atleast one split Nat’l Title.

So let that little fact check sink in. You want a coach who constantly have ur program in contention, vying for the grand prize, but also steady w/ competing for NY6 bowl births, too. Those r revenue & recruiting drivers. To say Riley hasn’t done anything b/c he’s never won the big one is dumb af. Getting to The Final 4 is an accomplishment in itself; having a team always in that conversation is outstanding, especially in today’s landscape of CFB.

If Mario was a consistent 10+ wins/guy here, I wouldn’t be mad at all, b/c that means our product is good enough to compete for that ultimate prize, and maybe a recruit here or there will get us over the hump (see Clemson w/ Watson & Lawrence).

Currently, there are only 5 active coaches w/ chips under their names:
-Brown
-Fisher
-Saban
-Smart
-Swinney

5 coaches out of 130 FBS coaches or slightly under 4% of all active coaches. There’s no need to try to tear down Riley to make ya’ll selves feel better. ****, if Riley hasn’t done chit, then Mario REALLY hasn’t done chit. U see that double edge sword in reasoning?

SC got a great one, not on the levels of the 3 S’s, but a tier below. We got a good one, who’s not on the same plane as Riley (yet). Both programs made heavy investments; SC’s investment turned into dividends yr 1; hopefully, our investment provides great long term dividends.
While I don’t disagree with your statements for the most part where’s that same energy for Mario??? Some of U fans always defending other coaches and teams…yet always bashing our own coaches and team (or stand idly by which is just as bad if not worse)…

Sometimes when I hop in threads like these, it becomes very apparent that many in this fan base are home schooled, & have no sense of the real world; meaning, many are so fixated on The Miami Hurricanes, that they have zero clue to CFB in general.

This notion that Riley, & now Day, are to be knocked b/c they haven’t won the big one is one of the more asinine line of reasoning I’ve seen to bash a coach. First of all, do you know how incredibly hard it is to win a Nat’l Championship in CFB? Well how about this; there are currently 130 FBS teams (and yes, that number has expanded over the years). Since 1973, take a guess at how many programs have been declared a Nat’l Champion? Let me help u out: 22 teams. Yes, that’s 17% of all of FBS that have won a Nat’l title, at least one time, in 40 yrs.

1. Bama: 10*
2. Miami: 5*
3. USC: 4*
4. OU: 4*
5. ND: 3*
6. UGA: 3
7. Clemson: 3
8. FSU: 3
9. UF: 3
10. LSU: 3*
11. Nebraska: 3*
12. PSU: 2
13. OSU: 2
14. CU: 1*
15. UW: 1*
16. Pitt: 1
17. BYU: 1
18. UofM: 1*
19. GT: 1*
20. UT: 1
21. UTenn: 1
22. Auburn: 1
* = Atleast one split Nat’l Title.

So let that little fact check sink in. You want a coach who constantly have ur program in contention, vying for the grand prize, but also steady w/ competing for NY6 bowl births, too. Those r revenue & recruiting drivers. To say Riley hasn’t done anything b/c he’s never won the big one is dumb af. Getting to The Final 4 is an accomplishment in itself; having a team always in that conversation is outstanding, especially in today’s landscape of CFB.

If Mario was a consistent 10+ wins/guy here, I wouldn’t be mad at all, b/c that means our product is good enough to compete for that ultimate prize, and maybe a recruit here or there will get us over the hump (see Clemson w/ Watson & Lawrence).

Currently, there are only 5 active coaches w/ chips under their names:
-Brown
-Fisher
-Saban
-Smart
-Swinney

5 coaches out of 130 FBS coaches or slightly under 4% of all active coaches. There’s no need to try to tear down Riley to make ya’ll selves feel better. ****, if Riley hasn’t done chit, then Mario REALLY hasn’t done chit. U see that double edge sword in reasoning?

SC got a great one, not on the levels of the 3 S’s, but a tier below. We got a good one, who’s not on the same plane as Riley (yet). Both programs made heavy investments; SC’s investment turned into dividends yr 1; hopefully, our investment provides great long term dividends.
My comment was my opinion on a message board and I personally don’t believe either of those guys have the same makeup as a Saban, yet they have the same resources. How many teams have won a championship is irrelevant they are at teams that have won and expect it. If they can’t it is absolutely the bar they will be measured to. I would of course be happy to be winning 10 games a year and be competing compared to where we have been over the last 20 years. It’s all moot at this point anyway and to be determined in the future as far as these two coaches go. I see them as offensive gurus who just don’t have the IT factor to win. If they don’t win the big one at some point it is absolutely a failure with everything that is behind them to help them do so. With their resources they are guaranteed to be a top 10 team and wherever they land in that sphere is on them. Time will tell and most likely this year is a pivotal one especially for the main subject of this thread with Caleb Williams.

While I don’t disagree with your statements for the most part where’s that same energy for Mario??? Some of U fans always defending other coaches and teams…yet always bashing our own coaches and team (or stand idly by which is just as bad if not worse)…

You start. Defend Mario’s 2022 season at Miami. Go!

Advertisement
These dudes bashing Riley for “only” making the CFP but never winning it are the same ones who are satisfied with Mario “improving” Miami to 7-5 next year. How about holding our own coaches to the same standards? I mean if everyone who doesn’t win a natty is a corch, what’s that say about guys who have never even made the CFP?

It’s not about defending the play on the field last year Forrest Gump

That’s the best you have when you are calling out everyone for discussing other coaches and not defending Mario?

Since we both know there is nothing you can use to defend him up until 2022-2023 HS recruiting, I’ll help. His biggest positives are clearly his working with the school on investing in long term infrastructure, HS recruiting and working to establish a long term road map for the program. Two of the 3 were rock solid, taking too long to build the road however could end up in disaster in this era of college football…

That’s the best you have when you are calling out everyone for discussing other coaches and not defending Mario?

Since we both know there is nothing you can use to defend him up until 2022-2023 HS recruiting, I’ll help. His biggest positives are clearly his working with the school on investing in long term infrastructure, HS recruiting and working to establish a long term road map for the program. Two of the 3 were rock solid, taking too long to build the road however could end up in disaster in this era of college football…
Number one, I wasn’t calling out everyone (but if the shoe fits where it)…Number 2 I already put out a post explaining Mario and Rileys’ accolades/accomplishments (scroll up)…we’re in year two of Mario’s stint at the U, calm yourself down

Advertisement
Look I’ll say it if no one else will. Accolades aside. Mario Cristobal does not belong in the conversation with Lincoln Riley. Can he get there at Miami? Maybe. But from a pure coaching standpoint Riley is superior. Lock thread lol

079.png

My comment was my opinion on a message board and I personally don’t believe either of those guys have the same makeup as a Saban, yet they have the same resources. How many teams have won a championship is irrelevant they are at teams that have won and expect it. If they can’t it is absolutely the bar they will be measured to. I would of course be happy to be winning 10 games a year and be competing compared to where we have been over the last 20 years. It’s all moot at this point anyway and to be determined in the future as far as these two coaches go. I see them as offensive gurus who just don’t have the IT factor to win. If they don’t win the big one at some point it is absolutely a failure with everything that is behind them to help them do so. With their resources they are guaranteed to be a top 10 team and wherever they land in that sphere is on them. Time will tell and most likely this year is a pivotal one especially for the main subject of this thread with Caleb Williams.

We’re all entitled to our opinions.

All that BS U just spewed sounds good to U don’t it?

Riley is 1-4 in bowl games and 0-3 in the playofffs (only bowl game win was the Cotton Bowl in 2020). If you’re going to make it to the playoffs only to lose every single time U might as well come sit on the couch with me (it’s a joke, calm down). Riley has won the Broyles Award (2015) and Big 12 Coach of the Year (2018).

Mario is 3-3 in bowl games (to include the Rose Bowl in 2019), won the PAC-12 twice, and although a lesser conference he won the Sun Belt in 2010 while at FIU. Mario was Sun Belt Coach of the Year (2010), PAC 12 Coach of the Year (2019), and National Recruiter of the Year (2015).

U brought up Oregon was pretty darn good before Mario got there but that’s not true at all. In the three years prior to Mario being named the HC Oregon went 9-4 (loss Alamo Bowl), 4-8 (no bowl game), and 7-6 (loss Las Vegas Bowl). In the three years prior to Riley being named HC Oklahoma went 8-5 (loss Russell Athletic Bowl), 11-2 (loss Orange Bowl), and 11-2 (won the Sugar Bowl). If anyone came into a program already in a good state/position it was Riley, lmao….

I’m tired of some of U fans and wannabe sideline coaches talking ish about Mario after just one bad year. One bad year does not make or break a coach. If Riley didn’t get/convince Williams to come with him USC wouldn’t have been as good (that’s how important QB play is). For all we know USC could regress this year and we end up tearing it up and surprising folks.

With all that being said, both are great coaches and both will get it done in their own way and when the time is right (hopefully we face off for the ship in the near future). But go’n and tell us U dislike Mario without telling us U dislike Mario…actually I take that back, you’re clearly telling/showing us U dislike Mario “lmao”
Don’t really dislike Mario, I only wonder if he’s actually a great coach or just an excellent recruiter. There are things he’s done I like (facility upgrades, recent DC hire). We can both spew stats/records at each other until we’re blue in the face but it probably won’t change anyone’s mind. I do trust Mario and the new AD to find us a new conference to play in whenever the ACC inevitably implodes.

Advertisement
So this is the USC version of the Deion thread which is the Colorado version of anything Saban.
RVA who is this turkey gonna throw out next, and under what name?...............guy is an ***hat..........and scared of Mario.......

With how they recently revamped their program. All the big money programs spent on coaches and the movement in CFB at the end of 2021 with LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. USC is the biggest winner and I expect them to be competing for Championships in the very near future. It makes me wonder, why couldn’t Miami do their rebuild like USC?

Let’s recap a little here. USC was a putrid 4-8 in 2021. They somehow lure Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, a dude who took the Sooners to several CFP games while coaching multiple Heisman trophy winners during his time in Norman (Miami hasn’t had anyone sniff a Heisman in 20 years). Riley takes Caleb Williams with him and gets him a Heisman and USC a game away from the CFP in year one. Also worth mentioning USC is leaving the PAC-12 for the BIG, which will ultimately benefit the program long term. USC is doing what you need to do to actually compete for championships and restoring your program back to relevancy. USC is “back to work”.

Miami decides to throw cash at Mario Cristobal because he was doing above average at Oregon and he used to play here. Apparently he’s also some recruiting genius. Most people probably don’t even know Cristobal was rumored to be a candidate for the job in 2015 after Golden was canned, but I don’t think he was even granted an interview. While I understand he had some success at Oregon and I’m not trying to take away what he accomplished there, Oregon was pretty darn good before Mario ever got there (National Title Runner Up in 2010, 2014), and they didn’t take much of a step back without Mario in 2022. Oregon has been a strong program over the last 15 years. I don’t really give Mario credit for building anything there. None of his teams actually made the CFP or came close anyways. His most impressive win was beating Ohio State in the Shoe back in 2021. It was followed up with an embarrassing loss to 4-8 Stanford a couple weeks later.

My first HC choice back in 2021 was Lane Kiffin and believe we should have tried harder to get him. He’s a brilliant offensive mind and he would have helped TVD flourish, not regress with the ancient Mario/Gattis offense that focuses on time of possession rather than scoring points. Mario has a transfer portal and a billionaire buddy who can pay any player what they want, so the “not enough talent” argument isn’t going to be strong in 2023. I see people predicting a 7-8 win season for us in 2023 which is ludicrous considering how much money we’re giving Mario. I guess I just don’t understand why everybody thinks the world of this guy, or how he’s worth what we’re paying him. I wish we went the USC route and hired someone who actually knows how to get the most out of their players instead of someone living in 1993 with their “power spread” Lol.
Really long counseling session. Hope you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

Advertisement
Don’t really dislike Mario, I only wonder if he’s actually a great coach or just an excellent recruiter. There are things he’s done I like (facility upgrades, recent DC hire). We can both spew stats/records at each other until we’re blue in the face but it probably won’t change anyone’s mind. I do trust Mario and the new AD to find us a new conference to play in whenever the ACC inevitably implodes.
Lmao, my stats disprove the nonsense being spewed in the original post…but anyways, a HC doesn’t have to be great at coaching but if Mario wasn’t a good coach he wouldn’t be in the positions he’s found himself in during his career. A HC only needs to surround himself with great coaches and be the CEO of the team. For the most part, in football it’s the coordinators who will determine how successful a HC becomes…Mario is a great CEO and bcs of that he will eventually win big here and become a great coach

Everyone keeps talking about how great of a job Dan Lanning did last year but he should be thanking Mario for leaving him a great team and organized program. If Mario was still at Oregon I guarantee U he’d eventually make the playoffs and then eventually win a Natty…

Trying to dissect the man’s worthiness to be our HC (especially after one bad season) is just silly to me when he’s proven every where he’s been to leave that program in a better shape than how he found it

Lmao, my stats disprove the nonsense being spewed in the original post…but anyways, a HC doesn’t have to be great at coaching but if Mario wasn’t a good coach he wouldn’t be in the positions he’s found himself in during his career. A HC only needs to surround himself with great coaches and be the CEO of the team. For the most part, in football it’s the coordinators who will determine how successful a HC becomes…Mario is a great CEO and bcs of that he will eventually win big here and become a great coach

Everyone keeps talking about how great of a job Dan Lanning did last year but he should be thanking Mario for leaving him a great team and organized program. If Mario was still at Oregon I guarantee U he’d eventually make the playoffs and then eventually win a Natty…

Trying to dissect the man’s worthiness to be our HC (especially after one bad season) is just silly to me when he’s proven every where he’s been to leave that program in a better shape than how he found it
What stats? You mean the two 11 win seasons for Oklahoma before Riley took over as HC? Riley was already on the staff for those seasons as the OC.

What stats? You mean the two 11 win seasons for Oklahoma before Riley took over as HC? Riley was already on the staff for those seasons as the OC.
My friend, with all due respect reading comprehension passed U by huh? Read your original post, then read my response to that original post…and what I stated in my response to your original post (to include the stats) should make sense as to why it refutes your premise on Riley vs Mario…but then again reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit for U so maybe it won’t make sense afterall lmao

Advertisement
Back