USC and UCLA to B1G

What if I told you, Miami is moving behind the scenes?
the flip side of all this happening is that if the SEC and Big 10 become the rival entities looking to snap up the best free agent teams to strengthen their side vs the other then Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC etc become valuable properties on the market. Miami wouldn't be going around with hat in hand trying desperately to get out of the ACC but would be able to pit the SEC and Big 10 against each other. what can you do for us that the other side can't? it's possible that this plays out in favor of the select few teams that have value -- of course, I wouldn't want to be Oklahoma State, Utah, Washington State etc

Advertisement
If we do jump ship, SEC or Big Ten? Geographically SEC is the obvious answer. But I think we have a much clearer path forward in the Big Ten than we do SEC. Not that I’m afraid of competition, but id rather not play Bama and Georgia every/other year if we can avoid it

Advertisement
SEC will be at 16 teams, Big 10 will be at 16 teams.

Realistic Pac 12 possibilities (10 remaining teams)

1. Solidify footprint (take 6 of these 12)- take Colorado State, Utah State, UNLV, Nevada, Hawaii, Fresno State, San Diego State, San Jose State, Boise State, Wyoming, New Mexico, New Mexico State. Possibly try to steal BYU.
2. Mega-merger with some/all of Big 12

Realistic Big 12 possibilities (down to 10, up to 14 with UCF, Cincy, Houston, and BYU)

1. Solidify footprint (take 2 or more, depending on if eastern teams are cut) - take Memphis, SMU, USF, Tulane, Tulsa, North Texas, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Texas State.
2. Mega-merger with some all of Pac 12 and possibly cut some eastern teams.

Realistic ACC possibilities (14 teams, for now)

1. Solidify footprint (take 2 or more, depending on if some teams jump to SEC or Big 10) - take NOTRE DAME above all others, then USF, East Carolina, Temple, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, James Madison, Old Dominion. Possibily try to steal UCF, Cincy, and/or West Virginia.

That's really it. Anyone who thinks we have a shot to steal any of the Big 12 schools other than the ones I mentioned...yeah, it's not happening. And we **** SURE aren't going to steal anyone from the SEC or Big 10.

And please miss me with "but the service academies"...

Advertisement
Just another step in the slow burn that is the death of college football. There will be “college football” in name of course, but it will just be football that has college names on it. It won’t be the same sport. The slow burn has been happening for decades now. And it’s now speeding up. There will be real negative long term consequences for teams left out of the big boy club.

Conferences will be so huge that teams will find it hard to manage an FCS or G5 OOC game down the road. Football programs (and thus scholarships for kids) will be eliminated. For some of these G5 schools football pays for their other sports. So scholarships for non football athletes will be in real danger in some places. It may not be a massive portions of smaller schools, and it won’t be in the next 5 years, but it’s coming.

Just another step in the slow burn that is the death of college football. There will be “college football” in name of course, but it will just be football that has college names on it. It won’t be the same sport. The slow burn has been happening for decades now. And it’s now speeding up. There will be real negative long term consequences for teams left out of the big boy club.

Conferences will be so huge that teams will find it hard to manage an FCS or G5 OOC game down the road. Football programs (and thus scholarships for kids) will be eliminated. For some of these G5 schools football pays for their other sports. So scholarships for non football athletes will be in real danger in some places. It may not be a massive portions of smaller schools, and it won’t be in the next 5 years, but it’s coming.
Anyone who wants to tell you CFB has always changed and been fine is living in a fantasy world. And as much as CFB has changed over the years, it has managed by and large to keep a good amount of rivalries and regionalism to the game. That’s been chipped away and now the ice is breaking. USC in the B10 is the literal embodiment of what CFB isn’t about. No rivals. No regional action. Not much history between the two. Every single thing that makes CFB special is being killed in this move.

1. It's about the money. If the ACC can get $10-$20M more per year on their TV deal (they have the option to renegotiate if the ACC adds teams) than what they'd get remaining independent, they'll list.

2. The ACC has always been a better cultural fit for ND. BC, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, GT and Syracuse are all smaller, academic-focused institutions. Big10 is full of major public land-grant universities and Northwestern. It's always made much more sense from that ND's perspective, which is why they have the ACC deal in the first place.
1. ND still won't see Big10 money under that deal. And you don't think the Big 10 will have leverage to negotiate if they just added LA? Either immediately or next renewal?

2. Yes and no. I agree with you, but ND wouldn't consider any of those actual or aspiring peers, in many ways. They have the ACC deal because it was the only "power" conference that would cave to their demands. Same with the Big 10 and Texas; the Big 10 wouldn't let Texas keep 100% of the Longhorn network money, so Texas stayed (then) in the Big 12.

Again, I'm not defending ND and hope this all goes to **** for them, but I haven't heard why the ACC would be able to force their hand now.

Advertisement
Miami would obviously prefer the Big 10 over the SEC and they have to see the ACC is ****ed. Get on that helicopter. Sadly, Notre Dame holds a lot of cards here and they would likely move to Big 10 over ACC.

Advertisement
WELL I KNEW SOMETHING WAS FINA FYUCK UP ALL THIS MOMENTUM.

LOL SABAN AIN'T FINA LET US COME TO THE SEC AND YOU KNOW THE GATORS AIN'T VOTING FOR US TO GET IN.

AND WE NOT A CULTURAL FIT FOR THE BIG 10 WE FINA HAVE TO BE INDEPENDENT LIKE NOTRE DAME THEM LEAGUES DON'T WANT OUR GOLD TEETH GOLD CHAIN WEARING AZZES I'M LAUGHING AS I'M WRITING THIS BUT ITS TRUE .

Miami would obviously prefer the Big 10 over the SEC and they have to see the ACC is ****ed. Get on that helicopter. Sadly, Notre Dame holds a lot of cards here and they would likely move to Big 10 over ACC.

b10 is a better cultural fit for miami than the SEC is. a lot of out of state kids in a lot of those b10 schools (RU students share a common home with a lot of miami students - NYC area, same with Michigan students, NW (Chicago area kids at both), etc.

WELL I KNEW SOMETHING WAS FINA FYUCK UP ALL THIS MOMENTUM.

LOL SABAN AIN'T FINA LET US COME TO THE SEC AND YOU KNOW THE GATORS AIN'T VOTING FOR US TO GET IN.

AND WE NOT A CULTURAL FIT FOR THE BIG 10 WE FINA HAVE TO BE INDEPENDENT LIKE NOTRE DAME THEM LEAGUES DON'T WANT OUR GOLD TEETH GOLD CHAIN WEARING AZZES I'M LAUGHING AS I'M WRITING THIS BUT ITS TRUE .
we are a cultural fit for the b10 when you look at student body make up. there are a lot of national kids at UM that share a common home with a ton of the b10 schools - MW and NE area kids.

Advertisement
Back