Urban or Mario

Lane would be so much better of a hire than Mario. He'd finally instill excitement and offense in this lifeless program.

Advertisement

7 minutes in, Urban explains his position. Take it up with him.

Thanks for the link Cane brotha.

Think it's interesting (but not surprising) that Meyer goes out of his way to praise player development in places like suburban Ohio, the private schools in Florida and similarly well-funded programs elsewhere while subtly disparaging the tyoe of high school teams in Miami that have won so many state championships and sent disproportionate numbers of players to Division I and the NFL.

It says a lot about Meyer as a coach and person that he's not drawn to recruits who will need more development, whether it's on the field as a player or off the field as a student-athlete at a Division I university. Basically, Meyer reveals himself to have been a "have 'em ready out of high school so we don't have to teach them **** when they get here" type of leader.

Those Miami-area kids who went to Alabama seem to have a pretty high football IQ.

Wonder why that is (or why SoFla has more NFL players per capita than So Cal, Atl, DFW, Houston, etc)?

This "Florida players are stupid" stuff just seems like excuse-making for bum-*** coaches like Diaz, Norvell, McElwain and the rest who do a lousy job of teaching and developing players.
Agreed.

The bigger issue is that they always try to FORCE PLAYERS into their schemes and vision and never allow the players to ,simply, do wtf they are good at.

Like Manny and Donofrio trying to force fees zone defense techniques and principles into Florida DBs who have excelled in Man coverage their entire life.

Like trying to get Wisconsin(midwest) bred power backs to somehow become great scatbacks..

Why would a decent coach want to move to an academic school that doesn't support football. Wtf it would be suspect for a coach to choose that situation.

Advertisement
Those are the only two choices this off-season. Urban will be done in Jax, he’s 0-3 and it’s ugly.

USC likely to pony up for either of those two. Miami needs to get its head out of its a*s and get in the game with USC for these guys.
Obviously you take Urban

You really think that Miami is going to spend 8-10 million per year for Urban Meyer or any coach? Never mind the fact that he's going to want 5-8 million per year on top of that for his assistant salary pool. Miami isn't doing that, and the only thing getting involved with that bidding war would serve to do is get SC to pay even more.

Stop thinking that there's only 1-2 coaches that can win here. A forward thinking, intelligent AD would look at the available budget and find a quality HC that not only fits the budgetary requirements, but gives him enough budgetary flexibility to hire a high performing staff to work with said coach. Unless some donor is willing to personally subsidize the Meyer hire, with the proper outlays for support and assistants, it's a nonstarter.

No more cheap hires.

Advertisement
The argument from posters was that Urban wouldn't come here because he thinks its not an attractive program. If that is true, then we're not going to get anyone great, and anyone that would come would stay for a couple years, max.

A guy like Urban takes good programs and makes them great - you pay up for that kind of coach if you want the football program to be relevant. It's doubtful that Miami admin cares, so when we go out next year and hire someone besides Urban (or maybe Mario), expect more of the same from Miami football. 5 more years of irrelevance and message board b*tching.

All anyone talks about is how much these guys cost, without ever thinking about how much revenue a great program brings in from Football, and the impact it has on the number of applicants / academic profile. Laugh all you want about my post, it doesn't matter to me. I can't wait for the unbridled optimism of the people on this board when we hire some guy with no real proven track record of winning big, but I see that every week with sunshine pumpers talking about the potential of guys like Flagg.

I’m not laughing.

Miami BOT have killed this program so hard over the last 30 years…it’s going to TAKE A BIG TIME HIRE to get this back on track.

30 years ago we could have gotten away with an “up and comer.” Not anymore. This program needs major big time life support

Every ****** time. I will not allow any of you people convince me that Miami will make a great hire. Nope. I imagine we in for another ********* cycle where we get our hopes up because (insert random unqualified coach) will come in and say something new or exciting. I can admit that I will be excited for almost anyone not name Manny Diaz or Dan Quinn.

We’ll all commend him for holding this class together and we may still finish strong in recruiting some years. Some will always think he’s playing chess with recruits and other schools. Others will call him out for making the same mistakes as his predecessor. We’ll probably get some good players But he won’t develop them.

The seasons will be rocky but they will have their highs. We’ll have a talented roster or another very easy on paper looking schedule and he will fail. He will allow the wheels to fall off and we will be right back here again… talking bout the next great hire. But we will be here together my friends.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Interesting thread. Isn’t it amazing? This newest version of Miami has completely changed the perception of the program. Dare I say it is no longer a pipe dream for someone like an Urban to come to Miami. My my have things changed.

Looks like Urban is angling to get fired so he can sign a huge college gig.

Urban be like…

HatefulHeftyGalapagosalbatross-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
Back