Urban Meyer on Miami Job

Advertisement
In 1999 I started following high school football online. I used a dial-up connection to access from home. Social media did not exist and I don't recall watching a single video online. Around 2001/2002 things changed quickly, but even then recruitment was more about connections than actual talent. I thought the AA game was always a big measuring stick to see how good players really were.

****, I was still using a dial-up connection to access the net in 2001! I moved to DSL in 2002.

There was no social media or videos online. Myspace didn’t go live until 2003! YouTube in 2005

2001 might as well have been the 19th century, when you consider the evolutionary jump in tech from then to now. That was a looooong time ago

Is that why the NFL needed to get a video from us on Sean Taylor? Why didn't they just download it from another website?

I was able to acquire that video pretty easily as a high school sophomore. I imagine college programs had the same access.

Advertisement
Manny inherited a defense coordinated by Dorito Donofrio. You cannot simultaneously criticize dorto and laud praise onto Manny. You have to apportion here.

It wasn’t just Dorito. We hadn’t finished Top 20 in yards per play for nine years. Manny has done that four straight seasons. Only three other programs in the country can say the same.

I was able to acquire that video pretty easily as a high school sophomore. I imagine college programs had the same access.

Given Taylor was a local recruit, you would know to acquire the video. Would a coach at USC, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, or Tennessee had known to look for him? As I mentioned in my post, things in 2001/2002 changed quickly and visibility began to quickly open up and we didn't win a championship by recruiting that class.

Advertisement
It wasn’t just Dorito. We hadn’t finished Top 20 in yards per play for nine years. Manny has done that four straight years. Only three other programs can say the same.
you sound like a guy who would go to a junk yard, pick up a wheel, fender and tail light and insist he had a car.

manny’s d was ok. We made our share of mistakes, played crap competition mostly, had an anemic O and rarely had a big lead, so those things factored in also.

It wasn’t just Dorito. We hadn’t finished Top 20 in yards per play for nine years. Manny has done that four straight seasons. Only three other programs in the country can say the same.

You know I like Manny, but he is the Paul Johnson of defense. We are not beating a top-caliber team with Manny's defense. It served its purpose, but it's time to put in a defense that can stop top 5 teams.

Advertisement
you sound like a guy who would go to a junk yard, pick up a wheel, fender and tail light and insist he had a car.

When you don’t have stats, make bad jokes. At least that post was short, so we’re making progress.

It served its purpose, but it's time to put in a defense that can stop top 5 teams.

What defense is stopping top 5 teams? Clemson is slowing them down, but that’s about it. Yards per play is the best catch-all measure and we are consistently excellent.

Manny has been a poor head coach. But his defense was exactly what we needed. Now we need the same thing on offense.

Advertisement
So halfway retired and mentally exhausted Richt didnt just win?

Richt showed our potential and he made some big mistakes and looked to have health issues.

We won 9 and 10 games even with his unqualified son, outdated scheme, and bad play calling.

The only thing making this seem impossible is the idiotic way we evaluate candidates now.

Richt showed our potential and he made some big mistakes and looked to have health issues.

We won 9 and 10 games even with his unqualified son, outdated scheme, and bad play calling.

The only thing making this seem impossible is the idiotic way we DO NOT evaluate candidates now.
FIFY

Advertisement
Back