Upon Further Review: Throwback to 2000 FSU vs. Miami

View as article
Advertisement
This wasn't Richt as an OC though. He went to GA already and didn't call the plays in this game. I do believe this was the start of the Jeff Bowden era. Man i miss that dude.

Nah, he coached that game.

On involvement with Georgia prior to the Orange Bowl game:
"Tonight we're flying back to Tallahassee. There's a charter leaving at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow to Miami, I'll be on that flight with my family. We schedule our bowl practices really early in the morning. We're usually done with our practices by noon, maybe as late as one or two. So there will be some time in the evenings where I'll be able to get on the phone with the recruits and be able to talk to possible staff members and things of that nature. I want the focus to be winning the national championship. I want the players to know and I want the coaching staff at Florida State to know that I'm going to carry out my obligations to the best of my ability and I really believe that winning that game is in the very best interest of Florida State University and the University of Georgia."

https://georgiadogs.com/news/2000/12/26/Dooley_Hires_Mark_Richt_As_Head_Football_Coach.aspx

This wasn't Richt as an OC though. He went to GA already and didn't call the plays in this game. I do believe this was the start of the Jeff Bowden era. Man i miss that dude.
It was Richt and I remember articles about him staying on while already ‘doing the UGA job.’ Some people ‘blamed’ the offensive output that night to him splitting time between jobs. It’s not necessarily an attack on Richt, though. FSU was completely off that night. Just an observation of how the concepts and tendencies have carried over. Pretty interesting look.

So Richt went shotgun spread this game, huh?

I was at this game, one of the hottest, most humid games I have ever been to. I recall the concessions ran out of water early and several people needed paramedics

Good times at the ol Orange Bowl, lol

By far the hottest Football game I ever been to. Had to drink Diet Coke to stay somewhat hydrated because they didn’t have anything else in the concessions. A day I’ll never forget.

Advertisement
Not unless they hire him back. Remember, Richt was the OC for FSU in this game.

Weinke should have a Cane. He followed Steve in high school and was big time baseball player too. Nole baseball was not in Miami class. I think he went pro in baseball and then came back to school.

So Richt went shotgun spread this game, huh?

I was at this game, one of the hottest, most humid games I have ever been to. I recall the concessions ran out of water early and several people needed paramedics

Good times at the ol Orange Bowl, lol
I was standing on sidelines behind bench....felt like 150°

Advertisement
It was Richt and I remember articles about him staying on while already ‘doing the UGA job.’ Some people ‘blamed’ the offensive output that night to him splitting time between jobs. It’s not necessarily an attack on Richt, though. FSU was completely off that night. Just an observation of how the concepts and tendencies have carried over. Pretty interesting look.
I didn't not know that. I always thought it was Jeff Bowden. We should absolutely love and thank Richt for that game.

Advertisement
Back