Upon Further Review: Miami vs. Miami

Lance Roffers

Junior
Hope springs eternal, as the Miami Hurricanes open another football season. There is renewed hope for this season as Mario Cristobal leads the team into his second season with a revised roster full of blue chip freshman recruits and top-tier transfers. But also, the memories of a disastrous 5-7 season are still fresh in the minds of many. How did the new coordinators look on both sides of the ball? How did the team look physically against a program that has a history of making life tough on Power-5 opponents early in the season? Follow along as I pick out some of the plays that stood out for me.

At least two walk-ons are on the first team kickoff return unit in William Hawkins IV and Josh Neely. Congrats to them for getting actual plays at the U. Probably not how they’re teaching Keontra Smith to block here as he’s lucky he didn’t get called for the blatant jersey hold.
1.JPG

Matt Lee is a massive upgrade at C for this team this year. Don’t recall the last time a Miami C just walked a NT out of the hole and off the LOS like this.
2.JPG

In the past I have opined about how I would take advantage of the college rules and how you can block downfield before the ball is caught if the pass is behind the LOS. Here, Miami pulls the LG and lets the C release to the second-level. No fear of an illegal man downfield with the ball caught behind the LOS. This is a play-action design where the left-side of the OL is pass blocking and the right side appears to be run blocking. At the release of the ball, the LT shoves his man upfield and releases to block the screen.
3.JPG

Jalen Rivers way downfield helping make that TD possible. This TD does not happen without Rivers, who blocked two guys downfield, after first blocking his guy and keeping him out of the throwing lane. You haven’t heard anyone really say it, but this was a “Wow” play by Rivers, as he gets #19 first with that right shoulder, then gets #21 to create the lane Young scores with. Keep in mind in the first screen shot above, 64 is blocking the edge as 55 (Lee) comes across to get to the DB (he doesn’t actually get there).
4.JPG

I envision some moaning and groaning this year with how much they drop the Weakside DE into coverage this year. Nyjalik is covering the TE in the seam here. The goal is to get that T or G to engage the outside defender and leave a lane for Mauigoa to come free on a delay. It does work here, but takes so long the QB has time.
5.JPG

On 3rd and long Miami runs loops as Harvey loops from strongside DE position and Nyjalik comes all the way from RT to LT and around. Bain gets pressure from his DT position (lined up as a 3T). Mesidor lined up as a 1T on this play. So you had Harvey, Bain, Mesidor, Kelly on the DL and they all looped except for Mesidor. Look at the depth that Cloyd and Mauigoa get in pass coverage with tight enough zones splits that the QB can’t fit it in there. This is just as encouraging to me as anything else, that the LB looks like this physically and gets the proper drops on 3rd downs. Speaks to the coaching staff getting new players prepared in this scheme.
6.JPG

I’m a bit of a stickler for hand usage from your line players, as it has a big impact on success. Bain is a true freshman looping onto a G5 RT and he gets his left hand up around the armpit of the right arm for the RT. This forces the arms up and wide, exposing the chest and causing the RT to stand upright and lose leverage. After the initial jolt with the hands, you duck your right arm inside of the right hip of the RT and you’re instantly into the half-man position you see in the screen shot above. There is no doubt in my mind that Miami “got a guy” here in Bain.
7.JPG

I won’t belabor the point too much, but I have spoken about this for years as something I don’t like. They leave the long snapper uncovered and don’t even attempt to get a hand on him, leaving a free run down to the returner.
8.JPG

Rivers had that wow play on the TD, but has had a few plays where he’s been beaten as well. Here, he steps down and lets the rusher get the outside shoulder. Earlier he gave up his chest and let a bull rush push him deep into the backfield (on a misconnection with Horton on a comeback route). I wonder if on this plan if missed the play call and thought the read defender was going to be on his side rather than off RT. You certainly don’t free release both edges and then attempt to read them.
9.JPG

Hat tip to Danny for the assist on this one, as McCoy is wearing #81 and in the game as an extra TE. Players were wearing different numbers than what is on the roster quite a bit, so if someone is misidentified, that’s probably why. McCoy looks and moves like a starting caliber OT and that’s a pretty great luxury to have players like McCoy, Okunlola, and perhaps Zion Nelson as backups at the college level. Miami equipment; get your game right. You’d have had me out here saying Jared Harrison-Hunte is being used as a TE. Can’t you find a 78 jersey? We have two 84’s on the roster and both are listed as TE’s! I’m assuming they’re all Cam McCormick plays, but if the Josh Neely family reads this and says it was their guy, my apologies in advance.
10.JPG

Ohio wants to double both of the DT’s and try to use the motion to #8 to hold Mesidor to the top of screen. Mesidor does what he should against a G5 TE and beats him easily. While Taylor does lose a tiny bit of ground against the double, it’s less than a yard and he recovers after the initial jolt. Deen is getting doubled, but he gets low and just clogs the lane rather than getting moved out. He isn’t making plays like this per se, but as the 1T his job is to reset the LOS and make sure the LB can flow. Here, Flagg is doing what he does best and flowing downhill. This goes for no yards. Bissainthe looks like an alien here. This is absolutely how an OLB at Miami should look in pads.
11.JPG

Mesidor spills this run outside, Kinchens sees the run bounce and runs the alley. Deen beats his man and chases down LOS. This is really well done from a team running split safeties with a light box. Announcers called Kinchens name, but Mesidor made this tackle on his own before Kinchens got there. Big time play by him and another example of why I’m so high on Mesidor in this defense (and Bain is a clone).
12.JPG

On 3rd down, Miami runs a simulated pressure front where Bissainthe and Flagg both “mug” the A-gap. It looks like six could be coming but at the snap they back out and have to get back into zone. Bissainthe gets back to his spot and gets eyes on WR and makes a tackle one-yard short of the sticks. As he gets more comfortable, he will be able to spot drop (get to a distance, then get eyes on QB to be able to anticipate throws a bit better. A great QB would’ve taken the next level WR and gotten the first down between Flagg and Bissainthe). Not pictured.

Miami ran that inside zone out of this formation at least a dozen times. McCormick is offset as an H-back and then is a lead blocker like you would think of a FB out of I-formation. They faked that IZ run and hit George outside on a stop route. Lee puts a DT on the ground and Parrish pops an edge player so hard his soul left his body as he folded over backwards.
13.JPG

On this 3rd down it was pretty mediocre QB’ing. I’m not calling TVD mediocre, simply calling out this wasn’t his best play. He eyes Restrepo out of orbit motion the entire play. It draws that Mike LB into that side of the field, but if TVD just looks that way and understands that the RB going to the flat is going to squeeze that nickel defender to the RB, he has George wide open on an over route for a 1st down.
14.JPG

James Williams with an excellent job as the gunner on punt coverage. Gets down there and makes the play. He looks absolutely huge and trim this season. You guys might remember Cameron ****er was “****er the Kicker” at Texas a few years ago. Maybe we need to start “Napper the Snapper” as Mason Napper gets down the field and is in on the play as well. (Not pictured)

Something Moten has done a couple of times now, is get his shoulders turned and “get skinny” through gaps. Truthfully, he’s been moved a couple of times by a double team, rather than anchoring, but his quickness and rip moves have made him tough to block without a double. JHH on the ground here was not a great look. Some of it was tripping over the OL feet, but he was already getting washed at the start of the play, which is how he tripped over the feet to begin with.
15.JPG

This is a pro throw from TVD. Hits that back leg on the gun drop and the ball is coming out all the way over for the out with the WR not even close to coming out of his break yet. You see the one deficiency I’m seeing a bit with Rivers, who gave up his outside hip pretty quickly on this drop. He recovered in time to push the guy past the QB even from half man, but against Texas A&M etc. this half man loss could turn into something worse with another half-step faster defender.
16.JPG

I do think McCormick had some good plays in this game, but he was far from perfect. Here, he’s smoked immediately off the line and blows up this run play. Restrepo is supposed to block that #21, but doesn’t have a chance as McCormick trips him.
17.JPG

TVD wanted the over route behind the LB’s the whole way here but doesn’t see the CB squatting once he doesn’t have a threat into his zone. Bad play. Had the checkdown, maybe Restrepo on the over after the mesh.
18.JPG

JHH was held badly on this play. Smoked the RG with quickness.
19.JPG

Great two plays from Bissainthe, who fills a run gap on 2nd and 4 and then comes free off-the-edge for a sack on 3rd and 3. Second consecutive drive where the DT’s were Moten and JHH. Not pictured.

Pet-peeve for me, and something that will get you moved down my RB pecking order, is giving up free yards to try and bounce everything. This is blocked for a free five yards. More if you break a tackle. Just stick your foot in the ground and hit that gap. #21 is going to fill, but if you break that, it could be a house call. Ajay Allen tries to bounce this along the LOS and gets a yard. Woof.
30.JPG

Here’s your seven OL play call that Danny referenced. Allen bounces again, only this time it’s the right decision as he presses the hole first. Okunlola looks big out there on the edge blocking. I’ve been critical of Horton, but there have been several times they’ve asked him to be a TE and block on the edge or against LB’s and he looks solid doing it.
20.JPG

McCoy misses a block on the edge against #6 (my guess is in practice he’s coached to get to that second-level hard, but you can’t just let someone run past you in reality). Fletcher makes this guy miss in the hole at his size and rips this off for a huge run. McCormick blocking their edge and losing slowly. As a TE, you aren’t expected to be able to stand there and block a DE 1-on-1 for an entire play. What you want to do is “lose slowly” against a DE and he does a nice job here.
21.JPG

You see the plan with McCoy as a blocking TE playing a bunch of snaps in this one. Does a nice job of making initial contact, then pushing the defender down to the LT, and trying to get to second-level. Fletcher makes a really nice cut to get off the hip of where McCoy is here and get another nice run.
22.JPG

You’re going to see this at times with a true freshman as Mauigoa sets too hard and gives up the inside move. He’s leaning a bit too much here and bending at the waist and gets over his toes. Gives up pressure and TVD throws it away.
23.JPG

Run the same play as the TD pass to Young, only it’s to Horton. Doesn’t go anywhere as it’s not executed quite as well and Ohio jumped it faster. Asking Matt Lee to get out there to that nickel LB is a tough ask. Not pictured.

If I’m a pro scout, a criticism I levy is how often he’s on the ground or turns his back to a double. On the ground here. So much talent and potential. I just want to see more.
24.JPG

Deen and Taylor both get penetration. Taylor misses the tackle in the backfield. Need to finish the play. Not pictured.

This is what I’m talking about with Taylor. Far too often he’s turning his back and getting completely moved by one blocker. Or he’s on the ground. This is a G5 RG moving him yards down the field. I need better from him next game.
25.JPG

This is beautiful. It’s not as easy as simply take Cooper’s man here. Matt Lee has to snap the ball, then get out to a DT who’s trying to shoot a gap and Lee does it flawlessly here as Cooper pulls. Rivers works down to the next man and McCoy pushes and then releases to the next level. McCormick takes the LB and then Cooper leads. Fletcher hits the crease and scores easily.
26.JPG

We talk about “high school open” for receivers etc. but this is high school open for a RB. This is perfectly blocked and Fletcher just has to walk in from here.
27.JPG

Defense asks Harvey to cover a TE and he’s a fish out of water. Harvey stops in the flat and the TE runs a wheel and is wide open. Scrap that one. Not pictured.

After a nice defensive stand on the goal line, Taylor gets a foolish unsportsmanlike penalty. Can’t have that in a bigger game and we need better from Taylor. Not pictured.

Smart play by Moten here, as he grabs that G trying to get to Flagg on a run play. Flagg is “spilling” this run, meaning he wants to push the RB along the LOS and not give him a gap to cut into. Moten is also spilling here. The goal is to allow Mauigoa a free run on a RB going E-W and tackle him wide, which he does. A lot of defensive play is about being unselfish and doing your job so someone else can get the glory.
28.JPG

McCoy helps cave in the edge, McCormick pulls around for the lead-counter. Parrish fakes a guy fall down with a juke, and it’s a TD. Ball game.
29.JPG

By the Numbers

Miami certainly had the look that you would want to see against a G5 team, as they were noticeably bigger and stronger on both lines of scrimmage. Mario Cristobal has a quote that “he knows what it should look like” and that is what it should look like. The Hurricanes outgained Miami (OH) 493-215. Hurricanes rushed for more yards (250) than Ohio had total.

• 26 first downs to 9
  • 6.9 yards per rush, 9.7 yards per pass, 8.1 yards per play
  • Ohio 2.0 yards per rush, 6.8 yards per pass, 4.4 yards per play
  • Hurricanes scored on 7 of 11 drives (64%)
  • Hurricanes had a 52.0% success rate
    • Last year was 45.4%
  • Ohio had a 21.2% success rate on offense (elite defensive number)
    • Last year was 41.5% (defensive success rate)
  • 0.49 Points per Attempt overall
  • 0.37 Rushing, 0.70 Passing
    • Total leads ACC after week 1
  • 4.12 Line Yards (yards per rush attributed to the OL)
    • Leads ACC after week 1
  • 1.56 2nd level yards (yards per rush after LOS, attributed to RB’s)
    • Leads ACC after week 1
  • 2.09 Open Field Yards (yards created by a RB in open field)
    • 2nd in ACC after week 1
  • 25.1% net success rate (generally a metric of domination)
    • 3rd in ACC after week 1
Overall

Honestly, you saw what you wanted to see. A Miami team come out and be quite a bit more physical and talented than a G5 opponent. It was a bit boring and vanilla at times, but you would expect that in a game with a lightning delay against a G5 team with a big game coming up the next week.

Top Performers:

• Francisco Mauigoa was what you hoped he would be in the run game and getting depth on his drops. Showed his speed and physicality.
  • Wesley Bissainthe was excellent. Disruption in run game and showed length in pass game.
  • Matt Lee was fantastic in this game. The difference between him and last year’s center is stark and visible.
  • Anez Cooper was a bully, but showed his movement abilities while pulling on a long TD run. Hurricanes have found something here.
  • Mark Fletcher looked like an elite RB in this game.
  • Mesidor does so many things that don’t pop, but allow others to play fast and keep the defense sound.
  • Deen was our best DT in this game and was disruptive.
  • Lots of players to choose from here.

Advertisement
Great read.

Rivers (and even an extremely talented but young Mauigoa anchoring the other side of the line) is still concerning to me, especially against a team with elite talent on the DL.

A&M will get pressure. It's not a matter of if but more a matter of how much. Just gotta hope they're able to stand tall and limit those pressures.

Advertisement
Hope springs eternal, as the Miami Hurricanes open another football season. There is renewed hope for this season as Mario Cristobal leads the team into his second season with a revised roster full of blue chip freshman recruits and top-tier transfers. But also, the memories of a disastrous 5-7 season are still fresh in the minds of many. How did the new coordinators look on both sides of the ball? How did the team look physically against a program that has a history of making life tough on Power-5 opponents early in the season? Follow along as I pick out some of the plays that stood out for me.

At least two walk-ons are on the first team kickoff return unit in William Hawkins IV and Josh Neely. Congrats to them for getting actual plays at the U. Probably not how they’re teaching Keontra Smith to block here as he’s lucky he didn’t get called for the blatant jersey hold.
View attachment 254938

Matt Lee is a massive upgrade at C for this team this year. Don’t recall the last time a Miami C just walked a NT out of the hole and off the LOS like this.
View attachment 254939

In the past I have opined about how I would take advantage of the college rules and how you can block downfield before the ball is caught if the pass is behind the LOS. Here, Miami pulls the LG and lets the C release to the second-level. No fear of an illegal man downfield with the ball caught behind the LOS. This is a play-action design where the left-side of the OL is pass blocking and the right side appears to be run blocking. At the release of the ball, the LT shoves his man upfield and releases to block the screen.
View attachment 254941

Jalen Rivers way downfield helping make that TD possible. This TD does not happen without Rivers, who blocked two guys downfield, after first blocking his guy and keeping him out of the throwing lane. You haven’t heard anyone really say it, but this was a “Wow” play by Rivers, as he gets #19 first with that right shoulder, then gets #21 to create the lane Young scores with. Keep in mind in the first screen shot above, 64 is blocking the edge as 55 (Lee) comes across to get to the DB (he doesn’t actually get there).
View attachment 254942

I envision some moaning and groaning this year with how much they drop the Weakside DE into coverage this year. Nyjalik is covering the TE in the seam here. The goal is to get that T or G to engage the outside defender and leave a lane for Mauigoa to come free on a delay. It does work here, but takes so long the QB has time.
View attachment 254943

On 3rd and long Miami runs loops as Harvey loops from strongside DE position and Nyjalik comes all the way from RT to LT and around. Bain gets pressure from his DT position (lined up as a 3T). Mesidor lined up as a 1T on this play. So you had Harvey, Bain, Mesidor, Kelly on the DL and they all looped except for Mesidor. Look at the depth that Cloyd and Mauigoa get in pass coverage with tight enough zones splits that the QB can’t fit it in there. This is just as encouraging to me as anything else, that the LB looks like this physically and gets the proper drops on 3rd downs. Speaks to the coaching staff getting new players prepared in this scheme.
View attachment 254944

I’m a bit of a stickler for hand usage from your line players, as it has a big impact on success. Bain is a true freshman looping onto a G5 RT and he gets his left hand up around the armpit of the right arm for the RT. This forces the arms up and wide, exposing the chest and causing the RT to stand upright and lose leverage. After the initial jolt with the hands, you duck your right arm inside of the right hip of the RT and you’re instantly into the half-man position you see in the screen shot above. There is no doubt in my mind that Miami “got a guy” here in Bain.
View attachment 254945

I won’t belabor the point too much, but I have spoken about this for years as something I don’t like. They leave the long snapper uncovered and don’t even attempt to get a hand on him, leaving a free run down to the returner.
View attachment 254946

Rivers had that wow play on the TD, but has had a few plays where he’s been beaten as well. Here, he steps down and lets the rusher get the outside shoulder. Earlier he gave up his chest and let a bull rush push him deep into the backfield (on a misconnection with Horton on a comeback route). I wonder if on this plan if missed the play call and thought the read defender was going to be on his side rather than off RT. You certainly don’t free release both edges and then attempt to read them.
View attachment 254947

Hat tip to Danny for the assist on this one, as McCoy is wearing #81 and in the game as an extra TE. Players were wearing different numbers than what is on the roster quite a bit, so if someone is misidentified, that’s probably why. McCoy looks and moves like a starting caliber OT and that’s a pretty great luxury to have players like McCoy, Okunlola, and perhaps Zion Nelson as backups at the college level. Miami equipment; get your game right. You’d have had me out here saying Jared Harrison-Hunte is being used as a TE. Can’t you find a 78 jersey? We have two 84’s on the roster and both are listed as TE’s! I’m assuming they’re all Cam McCormick plays, but if the Josh Neely family reads this and says it was their guy, my apologies in advance.
View attachment 254948

Ohio wants to double both of the DT’s and try to use the motion to #8 to hold Mesidor to the top of screen. Mesidor does what he should against a G5 TE and beats him easily. While Taylor does lose a tiny bit of ground against the double, it’s less than a yard and he recovers after the initial jolt. Deen is getting doubled, but he gets low and just clogs the lane rather than getting moved out. He isn’t making plays like this per se, but as the 1T his job is to reset the LOS and make sure the LB can flow. Here, Flagg is doing what he does best and flowing downhill. This goes for no yards. Bissainthe looks like an alien here. This is absolutely how an OLB at Miami should look in pads.
View attachment 254949

Mesidor spills this run outside, Kinchens sees the run bounce and runs the alley. Deen beats his man and chases down LOS. This is really well done from a team running split safeties with a light box. Announcers called Kinchens name, but Mesidor made this tackle on his own before Kinchens got there. Big time play by him and another example of why I’m so high on Mesidor in this defense (and Bain is a clone).
View attachment 254950

On 3rd down, Miami runs a simulated pressure front where Bissainthe and Flagg both “mug” the A-gap. It looks like six could be coming but at the snap they back out and have to get back into zone. Bissainthe gets back to his spot and gets eyes on WR and makes a tackle one-yard short of the sticks. As he gets more comfortable, he will be able to spot drop (get to a distance, then get eyes on QB to be able to anticipate throws a bit better. A great QB would’ve taken the next level WR and gotten the first down between Flagg and Bissainthe). Not pictured.

Miami ran that inside zone out of this formation at least a dozen times. McCormick is offset as an H-back and then is a lead blocker like you would think of a FB out of I-formation. They faked that IZ run and hit George outside on a stop route. Lee puts a DT on the ground and Parrish pops an edge player so hard his soul left his body as he folded over backwards.
View attachment 254951

On this 3rd down it was pretty mediocre QB’ing. I’m not calling TVD mediocre, simply calling out this wasn’t his best play. He eyes Restrepo out of orbit motion the entire play. It draws that Mike LB into that side of the field, but if TVD just looks that way and understands that the RB going to the flat is going to squeeze that nickel defender to the RB, he has George wide open on an over route for a 1st down.
View attachment 254952

James Williams with an excellent job as the gunner on punt coverage. Gets down there and makes the play. He looks absolutely huge and trim this season. You guys might remember Cameron ****er was “****er the Kicker” at Texas a few years ago. Maybe we need to start “Napper the Snapper” as Mason Napper gets down the field and is in on the play as well. (Not pictured)

Something Moten has done a couple of times now, is get his shoulders turned and “get skinny” through gaps. Truthfully, he’s been moved a couple of times by a double team, rather than anchoring, but his quickness and rip moves have made him tough to block without a double. JHH on the ground here was not a great look. Some of it was tripping over the OL feet, but he was already getting washed at the start of the play, which is how he tripped over the feet to begin with.
View attachment 254953

This is a pro throw from TVD. Hits that back leg on the gun drop and the ball is coming out all the way over for the out with the WR not even close to coming out of his break yet. You see the one deficiency I’m seeing a bit with Rivers, who gave up his outside hip pretty quickly on this drop. He recovered in time to push the guy past the QB even from half man, but against Texas A&M etc. this half man loss could turn into something worse with another half-step faster defender.
View attachment 254954

I do think McCormick had some good plays in this game, but he was far from perfect. Here, he’s smoked immediately off the line and blows up this run play. Restrepo is supposed to block that #21, but doesn’t have a chance as McCormick trips him.
View attachment 254955

TVD wanted the over route behind the LB’s the whole way here but doesn’t see the CB squatting once he doesn’t have a threat into his zone. Bad play. Had the checkdown, maybe Restrepo on the over after the mesh.
View attachment 254957

View attachment 254958

Great two plays from Bissainthe, who fills a run gap on 2nd and 4 and then comes free off-the-edge for a sack on 3rd and 3. Second consecutive drive where the DT’s were Moten and JHH. Not pictured.

Pet-peeve for me, and something that will get you moved down my RB pecking order, is giving up free yards to try and bounce everything. This is blocked for a free five yards. More if you break a tackle. Just stick your foot in the ground and hit that gap. #21 is going to fill, but if you break that, it could be a house call. Ajay Allen tries to bounce this along the LOS and gets a yard. Woof.
View attachment 254960

Here’s your seven OL play call that Danny referenced. Allen bounces again, only this time it’s the right decision as he presses the hole first. Okunlola looks big out there on the edge blocking. I’ve been critical of Horton, but there have been several times they’ve asked him to be a TE and block on the edge or against LB’s and he looks solid doing it.
View attachment 254959

McCoy misses a block on the edge against #6 (my guess is in practice he’s coached to get to that second-level hard, but you can’t just let someone run past you in reality). Fletcher makes this guy miss in the hole at his size and rips this off for a huge run. McCormick blocking their edge and losing slowly. As a TE, you aren’t expected to be able to stand there and block a DE 1-on-1 for an entire play. What you want to do is “lose slowly” against a DE and he does a nice job here.
View attachment 254962

You see the plan with McCoy as a blocking TE playing a bunch of snaps in this one. Does a nice job of making initial contact, then pushing the defender down to the LT, and trying to get to second-level. Fletcher makes a really nice cut to get off the hip of where McCoy is here and get another nice run.
View attachment 254961

You’re going to see this at times with a true freshman as Mauigoa sets too hard and gives up the inside move. He’s leaning a bit too much here and bending at the waist and gets over his toes. Gives up pressure and TVD throws it away.
View attachment 254963

Run the same play as the TD pass to Young, only it’s to Horton. Doesn’t go anywhere as it’s not executed quite as well and Ohio jumped it faster. Asking Matt Lee to get out there to that nickel LB is a tough ask. Not pictured.

If I’m a pro scout, a criticism I levy is how often he’s on the ground or turns his back to a double. On the ground here. So much talent and potential. I just want to see more.
View attachment 254964

Deen and Taylor both get penetration. Taylor misses the tackle in the backfield. Need to finish the play. Not pictured.

This is what I’m talking about with Taylor. Far too often he’s turning his back and getting completely moved by one blocker. Or he’s on the ground. This is a G5 RG moving him yards down the field. I need better from him next game.
View attachment 254965

This is beautiful. It’s not as easy as simply take Cooper’s man here. Matt Lee has to snap the ball, then get out to a DT who’s trying to shoot a gap and Lee does it flawlessly here as Cooper pulls. Rivers works down to the next man and McCoy pushes and then releases to the next level. McCormick takes the LB and then Cooper leads. Fletcher hits the crease and scores easily.
View attachment 254966

We talk about “high school open” for receivers etc. but this is high school open for a RB. This is perfectly blocked and Fletcher just has to walk in from here.
View attachment 254967

Defense asks Harvey to cover a TE and he’s a fish out of water. Harvey stops in the flat and the TE runs a wheel and is wide open. Scrap that one. Not pictured.

After a nice defensive stand on the goal line, Taylor gets a foolish unsportsmanlike penalty. Can’t have that in a bigger game and we need better from Taylor. Not pictured.

Smart play by Moten here, as he grabs that G trying to get to Flagg on a run play. Flagg is “spilling” this run, meaning he wants to push the RB along the LOS and not give him a gap to cut into. Moten is also spilling here. The goal is to allow Mauigoa a free run on a RB going E-W and tackle him wide, which he does. A lot of defensive play is about being unselfish and doing your job so someone else can get the glory.
View attachment 254968

McCoy helps cave in the edge, McCormick pulls around for the lead-counter. Parrish fakes a guy fall down with a juke, and it’s a TD. Ball game.
View attachment 254969

By the Numbers

Miami certainly had the look that you would want to see against a G5 team, as they were noticeably bigger and stronger on both lines of scrimmage. Mario Cristobal has a quote that “he knows what it should look like” and that is what it should look like. The Hurricanes outgained Miami (OH) 493-215. Hurricanes rushed for more yards (250) than Ohio had total.

• 26 first downs to 9
    • Last year was 45.4%
    • Leads ACC after week 1
    • Leads ACC after week 1
Overall

Honestly, you saw what you wanted to see. A Miami team come out and be quite a bit more physical and talented than a G5 opponent. It was a bit boring and vanilla at times, but you would expect that in a game with a lightning delay against a G5 team with a big game coming up the next week.

Top Performers:

• Francisco Mauigoa was what you hoped he would be in the run game and getting depth on his drops. Showed his speed and physicality.
  • Wesley Bissainthe was excellent. Disruption in run game and showed length in pass game.
  • Matt Lee was fantastic in this game. The difference between him and last year’s center is stark and visible.
  • Anez Cooper was a bully, but showed his movement abilities while pulling on a long TD run. Hurricanes have found something here.
  • Mesidor does so many things that don’t pop, but allow others to play fast and keep the defense sound.
goat win GIF

I'm ok with the DE coverage every once in a while but yeah we seem to run it a good amount. Better teams are going to eat that up

Advertisement
Elite analysis as always, thanks Lance.

I don't think Cam McCormick gets enough love however. He's exactly what the coaches want of him and rarely fails assignments. Very reliable player.
He has had multiple mentions, thread bumped and new threads.. Many have pointed him out and given love..

@Lance Roffers

what's your plan against AtM?
Pretty similar to this game. You've gotta get more pressure on the QB than this one and see your stars play like stars.

Probably come down to turnovers and finishing drives. Hated seeing four false start penalties and there were a few misses from the QB.

TAM is a pretty good team this year, it'll take a strong game to win it.

Advertisement
I need Kelly and Harvey rushing the passer more. Less coverage

Rivers at LT against better DEs is a major concern for me in pass protection

Taylor will play better IMO.

Thanks Lance great stuff as usual!

View attachment 254938

View attachment 254939

View attachment 254941

View attachment 254942

View attachment 254943

View attachment 254944

View attachment 254945

View attachment 254946

View attachment 254947

View attachment 254948

View attachment 254949

View attachment 254950

View attachment 254951

View attachment 254952

View attachment 254953

View attachment 254954

View attachment 254955

View attachment 254957

View attachment 254958

View attachment 254960

View attachment 254959

View attachment 254962

View attachment 254961

View attachment 254963

View attachment 254964

View attachment 254965

View attachment 254966

View attachment 254967

View attachment 254968

View attachment 254969

By the Numbers

• 26 first downs to 9
    • Last year was 45.4%
    • Leads ACC after week 1
    • Leads ACC after week 1
Overall

Top Performers:

Nice write up. Rivers to to step up at LT. I think they are holding out hope that he can hold up until Samson is up to speed. Some teams are gonna trouble us at LT i fear. Hopefully am wrong.

Also where did u get the numbers and details?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back