Updated Rivals 100

Those examples are deftly accurate and relevant because they are of 4* high school WRs recruits with size that UM brought in believe they would be dynamic and they were not. It's the same position U are advocating that your nephew (Hightower) can fill, and this may be root of your argument. His offer is hearing footsteps, but that's cool, just tell him to commit already.

bruh hightower's a top 50 elite talent. guys like him and Pope don't "hear footsteps" - they're the select few who have strongarm power in that they may love miami, but they can choose literally any school in the country. I do respect your opinions from earlier cuz u clearly breakdown film on these kids and your analysis of moore is spot on. but i disagree if you think the staff will pull offer from kids like hightower and pope for not committing a year before NSD.

Yep... Harriet jumped the shark tank on Hightower.

Advertisement
The question is does an uncle who participates on a Canes blog hear footsteps or feel like his nephew is getting overshadowed on here. I wasn't talking about Hightower himself lol! In all honesty I'm just shootin the ish about all of it, just felt like throwing some blog blows today, I usually sit back and observe.

We up, there's nothing for any of Us to be stressing about. These are good problems.

This is why I didn't want Harley last year. Yall were acting like I was crazy when I said I didn't want him. But this is why. He's not going to make a big impact this yr for us. And the 2018 class has about 10 WRs that are better than he is. I been said we should just have taken Thomas, Njoku, and Dallas at WR...it would have been perfect.

But seriously Elijah Moore is probably 7th or lower on our board.
1. Pope
2. Brian Hightower
3. Xavier Williams
4. Dee Wiggins
5. Warren Thompson
6. Jacob Copeland
7. Josh Moore - Elijah Moore - Dominick Watt - Kevin Austin - Jatavious Harris - etc

The top 4 are all guaranteed a spot in this class. The question is if they get all those guys, do they also take a commitment from the next guy on the list if he wants to come here? But the next guy isn't Moore....either of them.

Harley isn't going to make an impact for us this year? Lol what

I think it's pretty easy to understand. He's our 9th best WR.

When we go 2 wide:
WR1: Richards - Mullins/Cager - Njoku - Langham
WR2: Berrios - Thomas - Dallas/Harris - Harley

When we go 3 wide:
WR1: Richards - Dallas/Harris
WR2: Cager/Mullins - Njoku - Langham
WR3: Berrios - Thomas - Harley

It's really difficult to take Moore when we have Harley and Thomas already but there is no doubt the kid is going be a stud wherever he ends up.

Camron Davis moved up like 100 spots, sheesh.

It's really difficult to take Moore when we have Harley and Thomas already but there is no doubt the kid is going be a stud wherever he ends up.

Great comeback Brooklyn about the redzone and over the top! But overall I disagree with you in this debate and slightly prefer the most dynamic players to be taken. It sounds like U have some trepidation that the emergence of these 1b WRs are threatening the value of Hightower with the staff (I'm probably wrong). Moore and Harley differ in that Moore's physique is much more powerful so he can break tackles and at the same time is more elusive, "twichy", and able to create space in small areas than Harley. Harley doesn't have the hips that Moore does (watch Harley return kicks for STA), Harley is a str8 line speedster and deep threat route runner ala Phillip Dorsett or Desean Jackson. If Harley gets touched on this level, he is going down immediately. Also, Harley should redshirt and Moore won't need to after this coming senior season, he'll be field ready.

The good thing about this log jam and WR is that they still have a senior season to play, so we'll see more film. Everything will work it's way out. That's promised.

We have thomas, harley, mullins, and dallas who are all 5'10. 3 of them were in last year class. I think that many smaller wrs is enough for 1 roster.

And size is important because this staff values blocking at wr. Having a bunch of smaller guys out there trying to block isnt the best idea.

And it's not like the big guys are plodders.

Guys like Kevin Austin, Daquris Wiggins, and Brian Hightower can run. Evidence Njoku can really run too.

Yea but if kids like Moore and Swartz keep your D cheating over the top...You tweak a O to the strength of your personnel...We do best out of the spread right now which gives kid with elite quickness and speed a chance to shine..til the oline proves it's worth as run blockers we cannot afford to turn down electric playmakers.IMO According to most we have Pope locked in....Wiggins and Pope aren't small....why not take two smaller ones too if they have "elite" talent?

It all depends on what you see for your offense, but forget size for a minute and tell me how you stop the following.

Richards
Thomas
Pope
Moore
Harley
Schwartz (He will go to a premiere track school)
Mullins
Dallas?

Pick any four or even five, there's no defense in the country that has enough corners to cover that kind of speed and quickness. Spread them out, quick hits, and one missed tackle it's six.

Simple actually. You play a dime or Tampa 2 with heavy blitz packages. If you have an aggressive secondary & jam them at the line it's a rap. Especially with most dbs now trending towards bigger,lanky fast dudes. Only dude out of that capable of beating the zone (unless you mean 5 or 10 yards) is Ahmmon or Thomas. Real DC see this all day & plan for it. Just ask any DC wv goes against or most big 12 schools.

Not when you have a mobile QB ...Also, adding motion packages would offset that idea very quickly.

Advertisement
This is why I didn't want Harley last year. Yall were acting like I was crazy when I said I didn't want him. But this is why. He's not going to make a big impact this yr for us. And the 2018 class has about 10 WRs that are better than he is. I been said we should just have taken Thomas, Njoku, and Dallas at WR...it would have been perfect.

1. Pope
2. Brian Hightower
3. Xavier Williams
4. Dee Wiggins
5. Warren Thompson
6. Jacob Copeland
7. Josh Moore - Elijah Moore - Dominick Watt - Kevin Austin - Jatavious Harris - etc

The top 4 are all guaranteed a spot in this class. The question is if they get all those guys, do they also take a commitment from the next guy on the list if he wants to come here? But the next guy isn't Moore....either of them.

When we go 2 wide:

When we go 3 wide:

While I appreciate that this is your opinion and don't even necessarily disagree, I think it is premature to assume a few things regarding Harley and that depth chart:
1) That DJ Dallas will stay at WR
2) That DJ Dallas is even good at WR
3) That anyone currently on the roster that hasn't logged serious minutes or proven it on the field are "better" at this point.

While your list may very well shake out to be accurate, we don't know what we have at the college level beyond speculation on Dallas, Mullins, Njoku, Thomas. We know what we have and it isn't impressive on Langham and Harris. Cager is coming off a season ending injury.

Realistically, the only sure contributors on that list are Richards and Berrios.

And it's not like the big guys are plodders.

Guys like Kevin Austin, Daquris Wiggins, and Brian Hightower can run. Evidence Njoku can really run too.

Yea but if kids like Moore and Swartz keep your D cheating over the top...You tweak a O to the strength of your personnel...We do best out of the spread right now which gives kid with elite quickness and speed a chance to shine..til the oline proves it's worth as run blockers we cannot afford to turn down electric playmakers.IMO According to most we have Pope locked in....Wiggins and Pope aren't small....why not take two smaller ones too if they have "elite" talent?

It all depends on what you see for your offense, but forget size for a minute and tell me how you stop the following.

Richards
Thomas
Pope
Moore
Harley
Schwartz (He will go to a premiere track school)
Mullins
Dallas?

Pick any four or even five, there's no defense in the country that has enough corners to cover that kind of speed and quickness. Spread them out, quick hits, and one missed tackle it's six.

Simple actually. You play a dime or Tampa 2 with heavy blitz packages. If you have an aggressive secondary & jam them at the line it's a rap. Especially with most dbs now trending towards bigger,lanky fast dudes. Only dude out of that capable of beating the zone (unless you mean 5 or 10 yards) is Ahmmon or Thomas. Real DC see this all day & plan for it. Just ask any DC wv goes against or most big 12 schools.

Not when you have a mobile QB ...Also, adding motion packages would offset that idea very quickly.

Indeed it would.

I'm telling you, that is a disaster for defenses. There are multiple offensive minds who would slice and dice opponents with ease in that lineup. You them add an elite back, look the **** out.

Any which way, we're going to have An awesome wide receiver class. No doubt about that.

1. Pope
2. Brian Hightower
3. Xavier Williams
4. Dee Wiggins
5. Warren Thompson
6. Jacob Copeland

When we go 2 wide:

When we go 3 wide:

While I appreciate that this is your opinion and don't even necessarily disagree, I think it is premature to assume a few things regarding Harley and that depth chart:
3) That anyone currently on the roster that hasn't logged serious minutes or proven it on the field are "better" at this point.

While your list may very well shake out to be accurate, we don't know what we have at the college level beyond speculation on Dallas, Mullins, Njoku, Thomas. We know what we have and it isn't impressive on Langham and Harris. Cager is coming off a season ending injury.

Realistically, the only sure contributors on that list are Richards and Berrios.

Thats a cop out. Might as well go out and recruit a bunch of 1star wr's for the next class; Because until they play for us, we have no way of knowing they are "better" than anyone else...right? I'm saying Thomas is better than Harley, because at this moment he is. Its just a fact, they both had 4 yrs in high school to prove it, and Thomas proved he was better. Is it possible that Harley ends up being better than Thomas in college? yes, but its not likely. But when you make a prediction you have to do it based on the information you have, and all the information we have shows us Thomas is better and will be better in the future. Same with Mullins and Njoku. Honestly you're only valid point is we don't know much about Deejay playing WR. But I can tell you I'm more confident in his ability as an athlete to succeed than I am with Harley.

Advertisement

1. Pope
2. Brian Hightower
3. Xavier Williams
4. Dee Wiggins
5. Warren Thompson
6. Jacob Copeland

When we go 2 wide:

When we go 3 wide:

Thats a cop out. Might as well go out and recruit a bunch of 1star wr's for the next class; Because until they play for us, we have no way of knowing they are "better" than anyone else...right? I'm saying Thomas is better than Harley, because at this moment he is. Its just a fact, they both had 4 yrs in high school to prove it, and Thomas proved he was better. Is it possible that Harley ends up being better than Thomas in college? yes, but its not likely. But when you make a prediction you have to do it based on the information you have, and all the information we have shows us Thomas is better and will be better in the future. Same with Mullins and Njoku. Honestly you're only valid point is we don't know much about Deejay playing WR. But I can tell you I'm more confident in his ability as an athlete to succeed than I am with Harley.

If it's plausible that Thomas and Harley will handle kick return duties then I think Harley Is almost guaranteed to make an impact there for starters. Thomas will make an impact there and on offense regardless.

The question is does an uncle who participates on a Canes blog hear footsteps or feel like his nephew is getting overshadowed on here. I wasn't talking about Hightower himself lol! In all honesty I'm just shootin the ish about all of it, just felt like throwing some blog blows today, I usually sit back and observe.

We up, there's nothing for any of Us to be stressing about. These are good problems.

Stick to your cat for your psychology analogies buddy roe. The one thing that clearly is true is I certainly have no place discussing anything relevant on a canes football blog. You got me there. Good night & good riddance.

Canes614 is spot on.. put the receivers in motion or stack them and press is impossible. U can't press Richards and Thomas.. one of them is going to fck the dB and score

Advertisement

When we go 2 wide:

When we go 3 wide:

If it's plausible that Thomas and Harley will handle kick return duties then I think Harley Is almost guaranteed to make an impact there for starters. Thomas will make an impact there and on offense regardless.

How much better is Harley going to be on KR/PR than Berrios (who was a good PR last yr), or guys like Homer, Deejay, Thomas, Burns. honestly thomas is just an all around better version of harley

How Gurvan Hall & Josh Jobe are not in that is a crime.

Surtain is good and well polished but I have always said Campbell was the crown jewel DB prospect on that team.

James Cook is very overrated. Meanwhile Cam & Nayquan & McIntosh out there competing. He'll take a rep and go sit, have not heard good things about his attitude at all.

Kevin Austin will make his way onto this list. Speaking about him, think it's funny the bandwagons who hopped on his train now. Was getting overlooked by a ton of people on here in the WR discussion. IDC about his comp, every time I've seen the kid go up against real competition, he shows up.

how can anyone be a bandwagon for starting to love a prospects potential a year before they have to sign? Credit to you and others for pointing him out early but don't see any problem with people jumping on the Austin train now

Dont think Harley gets enough credit for his route running. Kid is a technician in that regard and I think that he won't be limited to only playing the slot because of that. With that said, I definitely want to see some size at the position this year. Don't know who starts QB but a big bodied guy that shields defenders from the ball and big catch radius is something we need especially if they struggle with accuracy. Ahmon is a beast but even he struggled to high point the ball at times this year. I think he will make huge strides in that category this offseason and hopefully Cager is healthy. Dayall doesn't have the wow factor but he his a big body that will certainly help a new quarterback.

Advertisement

When we go 2 wide:

When we go 3 wide:

How much better is Harley going to be on KR/PR than Berrios (who was a good PR last yr), or guys like Homer, Deejay, Thomas, Burns. honestly thomas is just an all around better version of harley

Thomas is better but we can use one or both on kickoff returns

I'm just curious & I really shouldn't bother to play along,but what difference do you see in Mike Harley & elijah moore? I'm only asking because there is virtually no difference between the two. So with that in mind how much longer should the staff continue to placate to a fan base who knows no better? Every year there's always some begging for an offer for a kid who slides in under the radar. Do you really believe with limited numbers and us trying to get back to being a national program that we really should have so many recievers that are virtually the same physical mold especially when that mold is drastically undersized...

I think every class should have a speedy slot guy. Give me Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, and Moore. And if Austin or Williams want in, gimme that too.

So should we have 20+ recievers on the roster so we can accommodate that? No need to address other Plaistow were actually thin at? After all we do have 4 downs each series. Heaven forbid gets hurt each & every down

Let me ask, since you actually played for the program; what's ur ideal number per cycle when it comes to WRs recruited per class?

It's not that simple rell. Numbers fluctuate based upon strengths,weaknesses, class & team value,player interest etc. In an ideal world you recruit every year basically the same & take 3-4 yearly. You can't go big back to back as then you discount the value moving forward & you take away from other positions. If you have 9-12 options that you like on your team at all times than you're set.

I agree.

Surtain is good and well polished but I have always said Campbell was the crown jewel DB prospect on that team.

James Cook is very overrated. Meanwhile Cam & Nayquan & McIntosh out there competing. He'll take a rep and go sit, have not heard good things about his attitude at all.

Kevin Austin will make his way onto this list. Speaking about him, think it's funny the bandwagons who hopped on his train now. Was getting overlooked by a ton of people on here in the WR discussion. IDC about his comp, every time I've seen the kid go up against real competition, he shows up.

how can anyone be a bandwagon for starting to love a prospects potential a year before they have to sign? Credit to you and others for pointing him out early but don't see any problem with people jumping on the Austin train now

Lot of people were writing him off and completely ignoring or not even acknowledging him in any WR discussion on this board. Kid shows out at The Opening Regional and here comes the train, no consistency from people. So all of a sudden he's good now, right? Just over night?

The people who know the area and in the know, know what they're watching and knew how good he was, not a slight at all to other people. Opinions can change obviously but I find it very laughable the sudden love for him all of a sudden because of the event. It's not like he was hiding under a rock or had no film. I've known about the kid since he was at Western but that's not the point Kyle. He's been rated a 4 star for some time now, I'm sure some people here have to have had come across it at some point and watch him and if not, then just watching rankings over film.(Which is the worst way to evaluate and has come off as my own formed opinion when I see the comments made regarding certain prospects.)

No surprise to me he dominated, he's one of Slys products. Sly always produces good prospects. It was the same thing with Lingard a while back, go look at some of the original threads of him.

It comes off as inconsistent and bandwagon-ish. Seen it too many times even regarding kids who shun us away. Shawn Davis was hot commodity and he chose UF, all of a sudden he was hated.

I just find it laughable as someone who watches numerous tapes, scouts, evaluates and talks with the coaches. To see the flip-floppy formulated opinions on a prospect from some on this board. Again, I digress. He wasn't living under a rock. All of a sudden he's good now?

Last edited:

Lot of people were writing him off and completely ignoring or not even acknowledging him in any WR discussion on this board. Kid shows out at The Opening Regional and here comes the train, no consistency from people. So all of a sudden he's good now, right? Just over night?

The people who know the area and in the know, know what they're watching and knew how good he was, not a slight at all to other people. Opinions can change obviously but I find it very laughable the sudden love for him all of a sudden because of the event. It's not like he was hiding under a rock or had no film. I've known about the kid since he was at Western but that's not the point Kyle. He's been rated a 4 star for some time now, I'm sure some people here have to have had come across it at some point and watch him and if not, then just watching rankings over film.(Which is the worst way to evaluate and has come off as my own formed opinion when I see the comments made regarding certain prospects.)

No surprise to me he dominated, he's one of Slys products. Sly always produces good prospects. It was the same thing with Lingard a while back, go look at some of the original threads of him.

just remember people saying "lets see how he does when he goes against real comp, cause he plays against scrubs". And now that they see him show out in a competitive setting, they're excited about him... Nothing wrong with that.

No reason to go banging your chest screaming "told ya"

Advertisement
Back