Updated flow chart for the Canes to win the Coastal

Even taking each game at 50-50, you are still way off. There are only four games that matter.

Miami beats Duke
VT loses to GT
VT loses to Pit
VT beats Virginia

If you have each game truly as a toss up which for simplicity sake we will assume. Then it’s a 6.25% chance.
...That is a good way for Pit to win the Coastal. We need Pitt to lose to BC. But we also don't need VT to beat GT. At least I don't think.

Advertisement
We don't NEED Vtech to lose to both GTech and Pitt, we just need them to lose to Pitt. It would definitely help us, but it wouldn't absolutely be neccessary. We would have the tie breaker in the event of a 4 way tie between US, UVA, VTech, and Pitt if that's what it came down to. Because UVA will have lost to us and Vtech, Vtech will have lost to Pitt and UVA, and Pitt will have lost to UVA and us. The only team in that group of 4 with 2 wins vs the other teams is us, giving us the tie breaker.

This is Minimum for us to win the Coastal:

- Miami > Duke 11/30
- Pitt > Vtech 11/23
- VTech > UVA 11/29
- BC > Pitt 11/30

That's all that matters, as far as I'm aware. If any of those specific games go a different way, we are eliminated.
Best explanation, right there
In a three way tie (or more), the team with the best win percentage against the teams that are tied, gets the nod.

Advertisement
We don't NEED Vtech to lose to both GTech and Pitt, we just need them to lose to Pitt. It would definitely help us, but it wouldn't absolutely be neccessary. We would have the tie breaker in the event of a 4 way tie between US, UVA, VTech, and Pitt if that's what it came down to. Because UVA will have lost to us and Vtech, Vtech will have lost to Pitt and UVA, and Pitt will have lost to UVA and us. The only team in that group of 4 with 2 wins vs the other teams is us, giving us the tie breaker.

This is Minimum for us to win the Coastal:

- Miami > Duke 11/30
- Pitt > Vtech 11/23
- VTech > UVA 11/29
- BC > Pitt 11/30

That's all that matters, as far as I'm aware. If any of those specific games go a different way, we are eliminated.
Read your post again. UVA and VT can't both lose their game against each other. If VT only loses to Pitt then they would be 2-1 against the other 3. Same as us and they have the tiebreaker on us.

Advertisement
Coastal every **** year.

SilverAnyIcterinewarbler-size_restricted.gif

I dont See why we would need va tech to lose twice?

if va tech, Miami, uva, Pitt all end up 5 and 3 Miami would have the tie breaker right?

We lost the head to head against VT so VT would win against us. But in your scenario I believe a multiple head to head rock paper scissors goes to the highest ranked team.

I have a better chance of winning the lottery this weekend than us wining the coastal! If not us; I rather be Pitt or Virginia, at least we beat them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
while I appreciate this flow chart...way too many things - especially from VaTech, a very volatile team - need to happen.

We made our bed.

Backing into the championship game to get railroaded by Clemson again is probs not on my to do list any time soon. At that point, start bowl prep, not for an inevitable loss against Clemson.

I dont See why we would need va tech to lose twice?

if va tech, Miami, uva, Pitt all end up 5 and 3 Miami would have the tie breaker right?
No, first tie breaker would be record vs the tied teams.... us and vtech would be 2-1 in that scenario the other two would be 1-2 so they would be eliminated and then vtech would go based on head to head vs us.

Do you guys really want to go to the championship game? I know it would be nice to win the costal and go, possibly shock the world and knock off Clemson or make it super close (it's possible) but I like our chances better if we just win out and have a solid bowl win to carry into next year.

Advertisement
Back